PDA

View Full Version : NTFOSX serious problem

fusionconcept
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I recently got a MBP, pretty sweet system. Due to certain software I used in windows on my previous system, I was obliged to intall it. My work for a few days has been between windows and osx. I use MacDrive on windows to access the OSX drive, but couldn't write to the NTFS partition of windows (Fat 32 is just too unstable for me). In a stupid move I installed a 3 year old app NTFOSX, forgetting about how much OSX changes over time...

The program overwrote all files that allow my computer to read the NTFS and didn't give anything back. On uninstalling, it didin't restore them either. I got a small amount of information about the app and that it erased these files:

/System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext
/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs
/sbin/mount_ntfs
/usr/share/man/man8/mount_ntfs.8

I just copied these from the osx install disk and crossed my fingers.

All was well except now the drive still doesn't show, and the first file generates an error of bootup every time, saying that it wasn't installed properly... So my question is, how do I install this file properly? all I did was copy and paste. it's the ntfs.kext

If anyone can help that would be great. I don't know much about terminal, but I can follow instructions. Thanks in advance for your help

hayne
04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I think the best (since it is the simplest and most sure) way to fix things would be to do an "archive & install" from the OS X Install CD/DVD.
If you choose the option to preserve users it shouldn't be much hassle.

fusionconcept
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I have so much installed already and all my files... how does that archive & install work? do I need an external HD. And it seems a lot simpler to me, or at least less time consuming, to do some terminal coding... If anyone knows how I should go about this, it would be my preference, since I don't want to reinstall everything again, hours of work would be involved.

hayne
04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
I have so much installed already and all my files... how does that archive & install work? do I need an external HD. And it seems a lot simpler to me, or at least less time consuming, to do some terminal coding... If anyone knows how I should go about this, it would be my preference, since I don't want to reinstall everything again, hours of work would be involved.

You don't need an external hard drive - but you of course need sufficient space (a few GB) on your internal hard drive.
If you "preserve users" then all of your files (under your home folder) will be preserved.
It replaces the system files with a fresh copy and keeps the old stuff in an archive.
It shouldn't take all that long - less than an hour is usual for an install.

Of course it always is a good idea to have a backup of the files you care about before doing anything like this.

fusionconcept
04-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I might use it. But this is just asking if anyone else might know a way to just install the ntfs.kext file properly... I just read somewhere about a similar situation, and all the person needed to do it set permissions. It doesn's say how to do that tho'
is it possible to know how to set permissions on a file? thanks... otherwise I'll just reinstall *snif* .... I thought I left this reinstalling os all the time with windows. But I guess it's my fault this time...

fusionconcept
04-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Hi Hayne.

Thanks for the tips... My user is in no way different after the reinstall and my drive is functional again. I didn't realize OSX had such amazing features.