PDA

View Full Version : OS X / SMB volume shares with same name - problem with Freehand

deedar
03-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Hi There, this is my first post so be kind! :)

I am attempting to transfer 160GB of data from an OS X (10.3.9) box to an SMB share on a Windows server. This is so that my IT department (non MAC literate) can backup the data using the Business system tape robot ?!

My problem is this: once the data is copied to the new location and a share is set up with the same name as the OS X volume (BIG DISK) Freehand refuses to find linked files even though there are in the same Directory path.

QuarkXpress on the other hand works fine - no issues at all.

When I open a file and update the links manually on the SMB share then copy it to my HD, unmount the SMB, Mount the OS X, and re-open the file the links are broken again - even though the location is identical.

I am currently indexing the SMB share from my machine but this is likely to take a few hours - (40,000+ references)

The files have been copied using the MAC to ensure the resource files (._filename) are created - I'm at a loss - please help! :confused:

giskard22
03-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Do this:

1. Mount the OS X volume that the files used to be stored on. If it's your computer's internal hard drive, you're fine. If it's some sort of external disk, connect it and power it on.
2. Connect to the new share on the SMB server.
3. Open the Terminal utility and type the following exactly:
ls -l /Volumes
4. Press return, then copy all the text in the window and paste it in a post here.

The technical reason for this: even though the share is called "BIG DISK", depending on exactly how you connect to an SMB share the name of the mount point -- the folder where the share "attaches" to your computer -- can be several different things. I'm hoping we'll find that you can just change how you connect to the SMB share to fix all the problems.

deedar
03-30-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi there, thanks for the reply - here is the result:

Last login: Thu Mar 30 09:28:49 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
andyb-g4:~ andyb$ ls -1 /volumes
Andyb Macintosh HD
BIG%20DISK
big disk
andyb-g4:~ andyb$

I can kind of see what is happening but I'm not sure what I can do about it - the SMB share appears to mount with "%20" as a substitute for the space.

I have got a couple of people looking in to it for me and it appears that it may be an issue specific to FreeHand - I wonder if Adobe fix it before they retire it from production?

hayne
03-30-2006, 04:12 AM
andyb-g4:~ andyb$ ls -1 /volumes
Andyb Macintosh HD
BIG%20DISK
big disk
andyb-g4:~ andyb$

I can kind of see what is happening but I'm not sure what I can do about it - the SMB share appears to mount with "%20" as a substitute for the space.

You've also got some other folder (disk?) there named "big disk". Note that OS X filesystems are usually case-insensitive so "BIG DISK" and "big disk" would be the same and hence couldn't both exist at the same location (e.g. under /Volumes)

The existence of the "%20" in the disk name doesn't seem likely to be a Freehand problem - it is an issue with whatever is naming that disk.

Can't you just rename the disk on the Windows server so it doesn't have any spaces in its name?

deedar
03-30-2006, 04:30 AM
This is true... The scenario above is not something that I work with, (I did it by accident once :eek: ) I was just following the instructions posted by giskard22 in an attempt to shed light on the issue.

When copying the data over I mount the SMB share at a different point - the Network manager has set up another share pointing at the same location but called "bigdisk" no space.

The issue I have is that FreeHand refuses to link to imported files on a different volume with the same name when the reletive position on the disk is identical.

Renaming the disk on Windows is a bit of a non-starter - I have thousands of files with explicit links to \BIG DISK\... that would be broken if the name of the root volume were changed... :(

deedar
03-30-2006, 07:44 AM
This is true... The scenario above is not something that I work with, (I did it by accident once :eek: ) I was just following the instructions posted by giskard22 in an attempt to shed light on the issue.

When copying the data over I mount the SMB share at a different point - the Network manager has set up another share pointing at the same location but called "bigdisk" no space.

The issue I have is that FreeHand refuses to link to imported files on a different volume with the same name when the reletive position on the disk is identical.

Renaming the disk on Windows is a bit of a non-starter - I have thousands of files with explicit links to \BIG DISK\... that would be broken if the name of the root volume were changed... :(

hayne
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
You haven't made it clear whether or not you have a disk mounted that uses the name "big disk" (as opposed to "BIG%20DISK"). If not, that "big disk" entry under /Volumes is probably detritus from a past mount and should be cleaned up.

First unmount network disks and external disks from your Mac.
Then repeat the above command in Terminal ('ls -l /Volumes')
If anything other than your internal disk shows up in the results from that command, then it is detritus left over from an improperly unmounted disk in the past.

Use the menu item "Go to Folder..." from Finder's "Go" menu, and then type in "/Volumes" (without the quotes).

Look at the contents of the /Volumes folder.
If you see anything other than the one entry for your internal drive, that is likely the detritus I spoke of above. (This is just a double-check on the info provided from the 'ls -l /Volumes' command)

Use Finder to trash the left over folders from /Volumes. (If you are sure that no external disks are connected then this can't affect what is on the external disks.) Finally, empty the Trash.

deedar
03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
The drive "big disk" is a volume on another mac, mounted via "osx-server.local/big disk"

The drive "BIG%20DISK" is a volume (share) on a windows server, mounted via "smb://winserver/BIG DISK" - it is the system (not sure which) that puts the "%20" in to replace the "space" character.

On the desktop and finder window both drives appear as "big disk" (case irrelevant) but in the /Volumes directory in finder and terminal the smb share has the "%20"

I do not intent to try and use both drives simultaneously - I am simply tryin to find out why FreeHand will not map the links embedded in files the same way. By the way, FreeHand sees the smb share as "big disk" - no %20 in sight.

I'm going home...

hayne
03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I do not intend to try and use both drives simultaneously - I am simply tryin to find out why FreeHand will not map the links embedded in files the same way. By the way, FreeHand sees the smb share as "big disk" - no %20 in sight.

I have a guess as to what is happening with Freehand. It probably is storing info about what disk the files are on by recording the disk identifier, not just the path.