PDA

View Full Version : Built-in ethernet kext versions

Raven
03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
I've been asked to look into an issue where user's ethernet connection to Cisco switches drop frequently. Up to now they've changed both the switch and the cables from the problem computers and the same issue happens
One of our admins checked on the Cisco site and they saw this:

NIC/Model Manufacturer: Apple Macintosh G3
Symptom: Intermittently loses network services when using the built-in Ethernet interface.
Description: Driver versions earlier than 2.04 may experience this issue. Contact vendor technical support for more information.
Resolution: Upgrade to driver version 2.04 or later.

The whole thing that makes me wonder if Cisco even owns a Mac is that the network adapter drivers are updated with the system, and can't (easily) be updated to a newer version.
I took a look at a couple of Macs I have connected around here and found this:

ibook G4, AppleGMAC Ethernet version 1.4.2, Mac OSX version 10.4.5
PowerMac G4, Apple Enet version 2.4, Mac OS9 version 9.0.4
iMac, Apple GMAC Ethernet version 1.3.4, Mac OSX version 10.3.9
PowerMac G3, Apple BMAC Ethernet version 1.1.2 (loaded) | Apple GMAC Ethernet version 1.3.4 (not loaded), MAC OSX version 10.3.8

So this is not a driver version issue as stated in the Cisco information. The computer that alweays has this issue is the G3 in the group. All the G4s are ok... And this seems to happen with G3 towers, desktops with OSes ranging from 9.1 to 10.4.5 ... Any idea on this ? I'm realy not sure why only the G3s loose connectivity.

hayne
03-28-2006, 04:00 PM
I think the Cisco page is referring to OS 9 drivers.

Have you checked that the duplexity is correct for the network hardware?
(Look in 'ifconfig')

By the way, here's what I get for the Ethernet kext on my 10.5.5 iBook G4:

% kextstat | grep -i ether
35 0 0x61a000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.iokit.AppleGMACEthernet (1.4.2f1) <34 16 5 4 3 2>

I.e. version 1.4.2

Raven
03-28-2006, 10:33 PM
So if I understand your suggestion, if the card is set to full duplex, then switch it half and vice versa ?
Could a wrong default MTU value may influence this ?

hayne
03-29-2006, 01:53 AM
So if I understand your suggestion, if the card is set to full duplex, then switch it half and vice versa ?
Could a wrong default MTU value may influence this ?

I don't actually think that either of these settings could result in on again, off again behaviour. I'm no networking expert, but I recall reading about the fact that not all networking hardware works well with the auto-select feature for duplexity, so it is best to find out what your network hardware expects and set your computer to use that.
Maybe compare what you get from 'ifconfig' on the computers that work well all the time and those who have an intermittent problem. Of course it would be interesting to see what ifconfig says when the connection is down.