PDA

View Full Version : preventing iTunes music sharing

OS X Sliver
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello. Hopefully someone here can help me. As almost everybody knows, iTunes has the ability to "share" music.

What I need is a way to prevent users from sharing music all together. Preventing them from seeing shared music would also suffice. If we disable sharing in Parental Controls the users will just re-enable it.

In iTunes 5 it was a simple task, all you had to do was set shareing to fialse in the iTunes preferences plist file. Such doesn't seem to be the case in iTunes 6. iTunes shares music using the DAAP protocol over port 3689. We need a method that prevents sharing on the local machines but any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

hayne
03-10-2006, 09:38 AM
It isn't clear how the users are able to change the restrictions you set in Parental controls. Only admins should be able to change those.

And you haven't told us what your situation is. If this is a corporate situation, the best (and easiest) solution is to tell your employees that corporate policy prohibits music sharing (and then fire anyone caught doing it - it's not like it's hard to detect).
Or you could configure your routers to stop traffic over port 3689

OS X Sliver
03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I work in a school district.
All but necessary traffic is blocked at the router in and out.

We have set permissions on iTunes to read/write for everybody because we have teachers classes performing projects that require these permissions (there was no other solution that we could see). This has led to students bringing in cd's and sharing them over the network with each other. This is a clear violation of our Acceptable Use Policy and several students have been suspended for it but to no effect. So our goal is to disable music sharing while keeping permissions read/write.

tlarkin
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I work in a school district.

We have set permissions on iTunes to read/write for everybody because we have teachers classes performing projects that require these permissions (there was no other solution that we could see). This has led to students bringing in cd's and sharing them over the network with each other. This is a clear violation of our Acceptable Use Policy and several students have been suspended for it but to no effect. So our goal is to disable music sharing while keeping permissions read/write.

Make it so simplified users cannot user itunes and admins can use it. That is of course if you want to give your teachers admin access. Or you could set up permissions on server and push them out to the students and give them 'no access' to itunes. At my school district all students log in under their student ID number and teachers log in under their name. That way it is easier to set permissions.

Is it a total mac os x enviroment or is it mixed/hybrid?

hayne
03-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I think you are talking about traffic from the outside. I was talking about configuring the router(s) that connect the Macs to stop any traffic over port 3689. You'd need to ask your network admin to do this.

We have set permissions on iTunes to read/write for everybody because we have teachers classes performing projects that require these permissions (there was no other solution that we could see).
I assume you are talking about the permissions on the folder where the song files are stored - under the Music/iTunes sub-folder of each user.
I don't see why you would need to change the permissions on the iTunes application itself (/Applications/iTunes.app).

And you didn't answer my question about how the students can change the Parental controls. They shouldn't be able to do so unless their accounts are admin accounts.

Another way to stop it would be to disallow music sharing via the OS X firewall. Look at the Firewall tab in the Sharing preferences. Make sure that the entries for music sharing are unchecked.

giskard22
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Are you using Managed Preferences via OS X Server? If so, and you're using 10.4, go to the user's prefs in WGM, go to Details, and add entries for com.apple.iTunes. In the 'Always' section, add a boolean labeled "disableSharedMusic" and set it to True. That should do it.

If you don't have Server, I'm not sure what you'd be able to do.