PDA

View Full Version : dust inside G4! Bad?

ladybastet
03-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I opened my G4 to remove an old PCI card (in hopes of curing a problem) and found dust covered everything. Not as in dust bunnies but fine powder. Having no canned air I blew it all out but wonder how bad dust is. Nothing odd is happening that I can attribute to dust; i.e. noise,erratic behavior but I wonder if dust is bad. On a side note, I seem to have misplaced the cover for the port where I removed the PCI card. Does anyone know where I could get another one or will the cardboard I put in it's place be adequate? BTW I live in a dusty environment so dust in the air is a given.

tbsingleton73
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
At least you don't need to worry about wether your G4 is alergic or not, but Dust can cause problems.
Dust can get into moving parts and cause premature wear of moving parts.
Dust can also clog vents required for proper cooling.
Dust in large amounts can also clog heatsink fins and prevent proper cooling.

If you can't find a PCI slot cover, I use Foil Tape to cover holes on my computer to prevent dusk getting in. Any tape would really work until you find the proper covers. My intake fans have dust filters on them. Custom made PC.

Given that you are in a dusty envirnment, I would regularly open and "blow" out the dust.

Crispychris
03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Is it a bad thing to vacuum out the dust carefully with a brush attatchment? Obviously with the power switched off from the computer. I have done this a few times in te past with no problems.

tbsingleton73
03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Your hazard in doing that would be a static discharge from either static build up or faulty ground on the vacuum. I would NOT touch it unless you know 100% that this will not happen.
If you can, like my vacuum, install the hose on the reverse end and have a highpower blower.
Otherwise I would invest in a blow can, the cost of the compressed air compared to shorting out a piece of computer equipment, even if just a cheep PCI network card is not worth it to me.

bedouin
03-08-2006, 09:22 AM
My intake fans have dust filters on them. Custom made PC.

Can you tell us more about these?

Raven
03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Probably just a fine screen mesh over the fam intake holes in the casing... Am I right in assuming this ?

tbsingleton73
03-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Can you tell us more about these?
My PC case is a Thermaltake Xaser III (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/xaser3/2000a.asp).
It's a monster of a case, but plenty of cooling and loads of room to work on things. I had if a couple of years now. Newer versions have better/more features. You can still buy them, but I hear they are soon to be discontinued.

Probably just a fine screen mesh over the fam intake holes in the casing... Am I right in assuming this ?
They are removable, washable, 8cm screen inserts for 8cm fans, they came with the case.

Raven
03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
So if you know a good store when it comes to casings and computer parts,especially for over clockers, they may have some comparable screen mesh in stock already pre-cut for fan vents.

tbsingleton73
03-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Bigfoot Computers (http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/index.php)