PDA

View Full Version : Automatically refresh web pages?

tommaso
03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know of a way to do this?
For instance, a sports score page, or the weather page, or stocks... the list could be endless. Some pages just don't seem to do this on their own.
Thanks,
tommaso

giskard22
03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm 99.9% sure this was discussed in a pretty long thread before (months ago). Someone may have come up with an AppleScript to tell Safari to do this, or you could load pages in a custom frameset with code that tells the browser to auto-refresh one of the frames. Anyway, do some searching in the forums.

tommaso
03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Actually, I did my homework before posting, and couldn't find anything germane to my query.
Any help directing me to such an old thread would be appreciated.
tommaso

giskard22
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=41358

When you use these forums' search mechanism, use the boolean option instead of the "natural language" stuff. The later basically just lists every result with even a single one of your search terms; pretty useless.

tommaso
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Indeed.
Thanks for the help.

jresh0
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
For instance, a sports score page, or the weather page, or stocks... the list could be endless. Some pages just don't seem to do this on their own.

The thread wasn't very helpful. Have you made any progress since then? I've been thinking about the same thing for some months now. I bought Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005, thinking to roll my own on the Windows machine I was using. Before finishing, I switched to an iMac, which threw me back to square one. Please share your progress.
Thanks,
jresh0

tommaso
12-04-2006, 04:57 PM
No, it wasn't, was it?
I haven't made any progress, except to choose to refresh my tabs whenever I want fresh info.
This would be a nice enhancement to Safari, don't you think, Apple?

giskard22
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
The announced feature in Mac OS X 10.5 that lets you make a Dashboard widget from any web page might resolve this issue. Every time you activate the Dashboard, the widget would refresh.

hayne
12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
The thread wasn't very helpful.
What was wrong with the AppleScript supplied in the thread linked to by giskard22 in post #4 of this thread?

jresh0
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Actually, the html code biovizier posted was right on the money! I had simply not noticed the link on the first line of post #4 that led to it.
Thank you for drawing it to my attention.

tommaso
12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
So, the html code is written to file which is then opened at the beginning of a session, and it affects the browser automagically? It's not clear to those of us who don't have great html codes exactly how to do what biovizier says.

hayne
12-06-2006, 11:05 PM
So, the html code is written to file which is then opened at the beginning of a session, and it affects the browser automagically? It's not clear to those of us who don't have great html codes exactly how to do what biovizier says.

No - it's not automagical. The idea is that you create your own HTML file that has the code to auto-refresh the specific URL that you are interested in. And then you open that HTML file instead of going to the URL directly.
Just try it: use a text-editor to save that HTML to a ".html" file (changing it to refer to your specific URL of interest), save the file somewhere, then use File/Open in Safari to open that file.

tommaso
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Hmmm...
just tried it, and no workee. I copied and pasted biovizier's code to TextEdit, and saved as html. Then opened a new tab in Safari and selected File>Open File and chose that file, and simply got the pasted code on the web page. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for helping the crippled.

hayne
12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
I copied and pasted biovizier's code to TextEdit, and saved as html. Then opened a new tab in Safari and selected File>Open File and chose that file, and simply got the pasted code on the web page. What am I doing wrong?
You probably forgot to change it to "plain text" in TextEdit.
For this reason, I recommend against TextEdit when plain text is wanted - it's easier to do this with TextWrangler.
But try again, this time being sure that you change it to plain text and that the file suffix is ".html" and that the "hide extension" checkbox is unchecked in the Save dialog.

edalzell
12-07-2006, 01:14 AM

You didn't say which browser, so I assume all are valid.

Try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/115/

tommaso
12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
edalzell, that's a great link for Firefox. However, I use Safari.
So, Hayne, I followed your most recent suggestion and it worked like a charm. Thank you!
tommaso

NovaScotian
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
An alternative, if you just want to watch a refreshed version of something without interacting much, is to use Steven Frank's WebDesktop (http://www.stevenf.com/webdesktop/). He says: "WebDesktop allows you to view a web page layered over your desktop picture, with optional periodic refreshing." I use it to monitor a site. I've set it up to be invisible when inactive and opaque when active, but that's a preference as is the refresh time. I still use Camino for normal browsing activities like this post, but it's a simple way to check what's going on somewhere, and then have it disappear.

tommaso
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Another good find, NovaScotian.
That could work, too.