PDA

View Full Version : Best bet for old laserwriter

jadnhm
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I have acquired a few old laserwriters I'd like to put back into service, as they seem to work great.

What's the best way to get them up and going with my 'new world' usb-only Mac OS X machines?

It would be easy to get them going as shared printers on a OS 9 machine, but none of my 'old' machines will run OS 9.

Any advice?

trevor
02-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Do these LaserWriters have an ethernet port? If not, exactly what ports are on the LaserWriters? The best way to get these LaserWriters working will be to put them on the network. If they don't currently have ethernet, you can usually buy JetDirect cards that work with them, and give them ethernet.

Do these LaserWriters have Postscript? If not, exactly what control language do they use?

What models are they?

Trevor

jadnhm
02-21-2006, 01:54 PM
They're old personal style laserwriters. One's called "Personal Laserwriter" and one's called "Laserwriter 4/600" (I think)

They only have the 8-pin serial connector.

can I actually get a jetdirect card for these?

trevor
02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
D'oh! Sorry, I was thinking of HP LaserJets instead of Apple LaserWriters. My response above was all wrong.

I don't have any personal knowledge about how to get those LaserWriters working with current computers. I've heard people talk about ethernet to 8 pin serial bridges, but I can't really advise you on them.

Trevor

jadnhm
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I thought we might have been on different trains of thought when I read the JetDirect comment. Still, the possibility excited me!

Any other thoughts about these printers folks?

aubreyapple
02-21-2006, 04:59 PM
The ports sound like appletalk ports. GIYF, so google for appletalk ethernet bridge. Asante and others make (or made?) them. As you probably know, appletalk is still supported on ethernet in X.4. I am still using a Laserwriter IIg, but that already has ethernet. I used to use a IIf and IInt with a bridge a LONG time ago. You may find the bridges on eBay for cheep.

rgray
02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
The Asante Localtalk/ethernet bridge (http://www.asante.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=12) has worked very well for us since the original iMac!! Also, Asante produces a router (http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezine/2004-0429_asante_news1.htm) which can do Appletalk "for legacy networks", but I have had no experience with it.

mclbruce
02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
They're old personal style laserwriters. One's called "Personal Laserwriter" and one's called "Laserwriter 4/600" (I think)

They only have the 8-pin serial connector. The Asante Ethertalk box is just about your only choice. They can be finicky but they do work.

There are many kinds of Personal Laserwriters out there. Some of them will not work with OS X because they do not use PostScript. If you look on the back of the machine you should see a couple of initials or a number after the "Personal Laserwriter."

SC, LS, or 300 - bad, no PostScript
NT, NTR, or 320 - OK, they have PostScript