PDA

View Full Version : Can an unattended PowerBook be made to wake up with the lid closed

tubwreck
02-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I would like my G4 aluminum PB to wake up in the middle of the night, log onto a file server, and back itself up. With the lid closed.

I created a scheduled entry in the Energy Saver pane, but it doesn't do anything.

I know that you can wake up a sleeping PB by plugging something into it, but can you get it do wake up on its own?

Thanks!

styrafome
02-11-2006, 01:17 PM
It might work if you've set up the PowerBook according to Apple's lid-closed tech note (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286).

mark hunte
02-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I think you could just plug the mini dvi-vga adaptor in ( not connected to the second monitor)

I just did this and the PB reacted as if I had a second Monitor.

I had to open a finder window and do a search (on computer) to get at the Display prefpane so I could move the menu bar.

but i think with the tech notes and doing that it should work.

mark hunte
02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Ok did a test with energy saver schedule.
It works so long as you put the menu bar control back to the ( phantom ) Display if you move it.

so to summarise :
set a schedule. in energy saver.
plug in the mini dvi-vga adaptor . You do Not need to connect a second display.
Closed the lid.

The mac goes asleep.
The energy saver schedule wakes it at the given time.
---

When I opened the lid later the screen was blank.
Just unplug the Adaptor and it comes back.

tubwreck
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the DVI adapter trick -- I will try that.

Of course that's only half of my problem: is there a way to remount a network drive when waking from sleep? I hear this is a feature of Tiger, but how about under 10.3.9?

Or would it be simpler to just configure my PB to not go to sleep at all when it's connected to power?