PDA

View Full Version : FreeBSD question (under VPC): videocard settings

AHunter3
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I have FreeBSD running just fine under VPC, X11 environment and all, except that when I first created the environment I used an overly small, fixed-size virtual hard disk, and now there's no room to do much of anything except launch it and say "Yep, that's BSD" and close 'er down. Oops.

So I created a new virtual hard disk with room to grow and dug out the installer CDs and went to start over. But I'm now on my fifth or sixth run. I get as far as selecting the video card and monitor settings, and it tries to start X11 and craps out with a fail message and an [OK] to go back to configure settings which never works and, due to ignorance about how to pick up where I left off, I have to start again from scratch.

I know the video card is an "S3 Trio 32/64 PCI". That, unfortunately, doesn't appear in the list of cards that BSD knows about, not verbatim. Lots of S3 xxxxx (where the x's are numerals) and quite a flock of S3 Trio variants, with suffixes like 3D/2X and (generic) and so on.

I sure as hell checked off something that's working just fine in my old installation of BSD though. And it does a nice 1024 x 768 when it comes up.

How (to finally get to the question) do I query the working copy of BSD to find out what parameters were input the first time around, so I can make those same choices on the new install?

Also, there must be some way to resume and/or reinstall without starting from scratch each time, yes?

Raven
02-10-2006, 03:48 PM
A question out of curiosity... Any specific reason why your using X11 through VPC rather than the native OS X one ? Is it because of x86 software compatibility ?

AHunter3
02-10-2006, 04:16 PM
No, just futzing around. You can never learn you way around too many operating systems :)

And I think I found what I needed: the command /stand/sysinstall brings up the config utility again on an already-installed OS, and when I ran it on the old copy I discovered that I hadn't picked any video card and had instead simply selected the S3 driver at the top of the screen.