PDA

View Full Version : hook iPod to computer without losing songs that are on it?

c3po
01-17-2006, 07:34 PM
just got a new 60gb ipod. need help real bad. 1st. how do you hook up to a different comp. and not erase what tunes i have?

acme.mail.order
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
If the other computer does not have iTunes installed, it won't happen. If it does, just answer "No" to the question about transferring the library.

sawdust123
01-17-2006, 08:43 PM
you can also change the settings in itunes pref. under "ipod" for the auto update. My ipod got erased without asking about transfering the library.

acme.mail.order
01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
And even if the iPod library does get trashed it's not disastrous, just inconvenient.

eti
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
To me this is very un-Maclike that I can't change the preferences to auto-update/not-auto-update without having an ipod connected. My wife just got a new shuffle and loaded up some songs from one computer, and I tried to hook it up to another--when I choose to not update when I connected it, it wouldn't let me use the shuffle at all, nor could I get to the ipod preferences.

Is there a way to hack into the preferences so I can turn off the auto-update?

funkycfunkydo
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
the preference is there because some people connect mulitple iPods to a single computer so the setting is on the iPod, not computer. I;m not sure of the exact procedure, but if you press a certain key while the iPod is mounting, it prevents it from connecting to iTunes if you just want to charge.

eti
02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
This is not about charging. This is about hooking up a shuffle to iTunes without erasing the entire contents!

eti
02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
you can also change the settings in itunes pref. under "ipod" for the auto update. My ipod got erased without asking about transfering the library.

One (apparently) cannot change that pref without having an iPod hooked up, which of course trashes the contents of said iPod.

trevor
02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
One (apparently) cannot change that pref without having an iPod hooked up, which of course trashes the contents of said iPod.

It trashes the contents of said iPod only if Automatic Updating is switched on. I personally only switch on Automatic Updating briefly (to let it update), then I switch it off again. That way, if the iPod is connected to another computer, it is always set at Manual Updating.

An iPod set to Manual Updating will never trash the contents of that iPod, and can be safely connected to a computer.

Trevor

ooptec
03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Also, you can open up itunes folder and drag music library folder onto desktop. THEN hook up ipod to comp. and answer NO to update library. When itunes recognizes ipod, select ipod icon from bottom R.H. corner of itunes window and then select 'manually update'. Then eject ipod. Move music folder back where it was and then restart itunes

eti
03-15-2006, 07:09 PM
...hook up ipod to comp. and answer NO to update library. When itunes recognizes ipod...

Ah, but if you've answered NO to update library, iTunes will not recognize the iPod! :(