PDA

View Full Version : External HD Format Question

RattDawg
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a Mac mini and recently purchased a Maxtor 100gig usb drive for it. The drive was pre-formated fat32 and I have it hooked up to the usb port on my cinema display as for the limited ports on the mini.

I plan on using the drive for storing mp3s and music videos to run through itunes. I dont plan on sharing the drive with a Windows machine. My question is would I gain any advantages to formatting the drive Mac OS extended or if I would have pretty much the same results leaving it fat32?
Thanks for any help!
Peace

hayne
01-02-2006, 04:30 PM
If you don't intend to use it with a Windows machine, then there is no reason to keep it as FAT32.
One important advantage of using HFS+ is that there are many fewer restrictions on the characters allowable in filenames. If you keep it as FAT32 you will find that some MP3 file names are not acceptable.

RattDawg
01-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Well sounds like I need to get formatting. Thanks for the info. :D

trevor
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I have it hooked up to the usb port on my cinema display as for the limited ports on the mini.

Which "cinema display"? Apple has given quite a number of their displays over the years the same "Apple Cinema Display" name. The most recent Apple Cinema Displays with the Aluminum bezel do indeed use USB 2.0 ports (so they should work just fine the way you're set up), but if you have an older Apple Cinema Display, check to make sure that the ports in the display are actually USB 2.0.

If they are USB 1.1, then they will be unbearably slow, and you should purchase a USB 2.0 hub for your Mini.

Trevor

voldenuit
01-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Smart shuffling around of USB-cables might also cut it:

Keyboard and mouse are more than happy with good old USB 1.1, just make sure to plug the HD directly in the back of the mini if you don't have a Hi-Speed USB hub.