PDA

View Full Version : OS X Font Problem need help bad

inali
12-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Hello,

First off I am using OS X 10.4.3

I recently received a bunch of fonts I have to use for some freelance work. I installed all the fonts correctly as far as I can see. Although some of the fonts do not show up, specifically all of the fonts named delicato will not work. Another font that won't show up is tradegothic light extended, it is odd because most tradegothic fonts do work except a few....also for some reason 85 healvetica heavy. I have read lots of different articles and cannot find out why these fonts will not work. The delicata font collection will not show up at all so I am sure I am doing something specifically wrong with it.But I am not sure why healvetica heavy and the other few tradegothic fonts. Please help if you can. I cannot seem to find out why they won't work.

They won't show up in any program, adobe, quark, etc

giskard22
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Are they listed in Font Book? If you aren't using any other font management software, that's the place to start. There's a "validate" command that will check specific files to tell you if the OS can use them.

inali
12-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes I have used font book, when I try to add the fonts via font book it doesnt even let me select them.

Raven
12-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Wjhat is the total amount of fonts you currently have installed ?

frankko
12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
And how did you receive the fonts? Some fonts have all their information stored in their resource forks, and if those were lost in transit the files would be useless now.

If the files are zero bytes, then that's probably what happened.

inali
12-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Resource forks, in the font folder tradegothic that they sent me, there are two files with the extension .t1, they are both zero kb, is that what you are referring to?

I got in touch with the font company and they resent me the delicato family font. It was the same files except now the .bmap files have icons now, the ones that would not work had no icons for the .bmap's. Now I have to get the tradegothicLH font family to work, and for some reason 1 helvetica font wont work, 85 helvetica heavy. I am guessing the files the company im working for sent me corrupted or incomplete files?

Now I have to hunt down the creators of tradegothic LH and 85 helvetica heavy. Kinda sucks because I am not getting paid to troubleshoot this and they sent me the bad font.

giskard22
12-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Building on Frankko's response, it's also possible that the computer just doesn't know they are font files. It could be because they are missing extensions or file type codes. Do you know what kind of font files these are supposed to be?

giskard22
12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, I just received an email for inali's last post, which was made 15 minutes before mine, but didn't appear when I last read the page. Perhaps this weird interaction with Safari we've been seeing from this site since 10.4.2?

Anyway, inali, ask them to put the fonts in a zip file or otherwise package them before they send them to you. If they're doing email attachments there are lots of ways in which files can be destroyed. Making a zip will decrease the likelihood of a problem.

inali
12-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Well not sure whats going on with this forum, getting delay, I am using safari. I switched to IE and the pages take like 10 years to load, so I am back to safari.

Well the way they sent me the fonts was, they uploaded the files to ftp for me to download. The files are not compressed, the fonts are in the files and compressed. They must have gotten corrupted or something between there and here. Also the fonts that the font company sent me that work have file extensions, the ones I got from the ftp does not, although the thing is some of the fonts work in tradegothic and for some unknown reason just a few of the fonts in the helvetica and tradegothic family will not work.

Somehow I need to find out where they bought the fonts and have them resend, I have also asked the company I work for to zip the complete font file and resend as someone said, hope fully this works. It is very frustrating and doesn't help that the forum is out of whack as well ;)

I am going o eat lunch hopefully my company figures it out and helps me, not too fair to drop this on my lap, when they could easily fix the situation if they knew what they were doing.

jbc
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
It sounds as if you have Postscript Type 1 fonts. Are you sure they sent you Mac Type 1 fonts and not Windows or Unix Type 1 fonts (which don't work correctly on a Mac)? I think the Type 1 printer files must still have an OS 9 type of "LWFN" for the system to recognize them. Likewise, the screen fonts should have a type of "FFIL". If you have a utility like XRay (http://www.brockerhoff.net/xray/), you can use it to check (and set) the OS 9 type settings for the files. You can also use it to verify that these are Mac Type 1 fonts with the data in the resource fork.

If your Delicato font is the one sold by Fountain (http://www.fountain.nu/catalogue/delicato.asp), you might be able to consult with them about your problems. It looks as if your Trade Gothic may be from Linotype (http://www.linotype.com/1546/tradegothic-family.html?PHPSESSID=115e734f9ea80bdcaaf7dd4f021c98bf); again, you might be able to get some technical support from them directly.

Based on the extensions, I'm wondering if maybe these fonts have been repackaged by some font utility along the way; they aren't typical for most Mac PS fonts.

frankko
12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Okay, if the files are being FTP'd, then I was right, they're losing their resource forks.

And having them zip the fonts isn't the best advice, because depending on how the zip is created, the resource fork could be lost, as well. Have them Stuff the fonts, which will preserve the resource forks. The resulting .sit (or .sitx) files can be uploaded to an FTP site and downloaded. Once they're expanded, the files should be fine.

inali
12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Well thank you very much guys, I have had the fonts stuffed and sent and they work now, bummer that it took a week to get it figured out lol. I am very happy I found this forum and will now be an active member of it.

Thanks again