PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive for PowerBook G4 - Recommendations Please

missymz
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
1. i have a powerbook g4 and want to archive my files on some external hard drive...
2. i've gone into the apple store (both physically and online) and they seem to support lacie...
3. which would lead the novice (that would be me) to believe that apple supports or trusts (insert your own predicate here) lacie, (i was ready to buy), but then...
4. my reviews on apple and amazon indicates the opposite, (so now i'm hesitant), as...
5. lacie seems unreliable (freezes, dies, whatever) and users recommend buying something else, so...
6. MY QUESTIONS:
a. WHAT IS THE BEST (INSOFAR AS RELIABILITY, EASE OF USE) 250 GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FOR A POWERBOOK G4 FOR A NOVICE (remember, i'm not real smart), or...
b. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO 6(a), WHERE'S THE BEST PLACE I CAN RESEARCH THIS ONLINE?

:confused:

haironfire
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
My experience with Lacie external drives have been great. The latest model I have is a 250 GB d2 Extreme. I use it to store offline video data, and for daily backups. This model uses old and new versions of FireWire cables, plus USB2. It is super fast and, so far, reliable.

Hope this helps.

chutem
12-08-2005, 02:04 PM
good info here http://www.macworld.com/2005/10/reviews/firewiremain/index.php i personnaly like the OWC options.

trevor
12-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Lacie sells a lot more external drives than anyone else, which is why you see them sold at Apple, and is also why you see more complaints. The more examples of anything you have on the market, the more people will be complaining, based just on percentages.

In my opinion, Lacie is no better or worse than the majority of other external drive sellers--they're pretty average, and so is most everybody else.

If you like the appearance, and the features of a drive from Lacie, by all means buy it. If you see another drive with a nicer appearance, or other features that you like better, buy that instead.

There are few if any drive sellers that actually manufacture the drives that bear their name. Some just buy stock designs from China, Taiwan, or Korea and put their names on them. Others (the biggest group) design their own cases and let companies in China, Taiwan, or Korea do the engineering to implement those design. Only a very few design and engineer their cases, and even those companies still have them manufactured in China, and use bridge boards from one of the few companies making them.

If I had to point out a company making external cases that I think is a bit above average, I would probably mention Wiebetech (http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php).

If you are looking at purchasing an external drive, I would advise you to look for the following features, if possible:

1. Supports both USB 2.0 and FireWire interfaces. In a perfect world, supports USB 2.0, FireWire 400, and FireWire 800 interfaces.

2. Has an On/Off switch. (You'd be amazed how many don't, and not switching the drive off before unplugging can cause problems with blowing out the FireWire PHY on either the drive or the computer.)

3. Supports both bus power and an external power supply.

Trevor

styrafome
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
My LaCie has been great but I also know from years of experience that any brand drive can fail at any time. If you are storing irreplaceable data, it doesn't matter what brand you buy, whatever it is, buy two of them and mirror in case one fails. And plug it into a good surge protector at least, or a UPS at best, to avoid power-related stress on the hardware.

chrismcdowell25
12-10-2005, 03:21 AM
I just got my mom a 300GB Maxtor one touch 2 with firewire and usb for her backups and extra storage of non essential stuff. The backup software was not out of the box compatible with Tiger but some moving of a file from the old version to the new tiger version got it going and let me get the serial the serial(key) is the file your moving. working fine so far. I have also had great luck with the western digital internal drives in my 2 pc's 2 in a linux box for file server and 1 in a winblowz box and 1 for each of my 2 xbox's 160gb and they all are working fine. Dunno how they are for external but a drive is a drive.

voldenuit
12-10-2005, 03:35 AM
The interesting bits in making a buying decision are

what chipset is used on the bridgeboard and what is their reliabilty history so far

who makes the HD that goes inside

how is the overall customer care where you buy it.

Good answers for 1 is Oxford and 2 Seagate but 3 depends on where you are in the world.

Beyond that, external drives are generic, there is no such thing as ease of us being different between brands.