PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?...Jaguar clean install or upgrade?

Welles Goodrich
08-19-2002, 09:49 AM
I'm interested in hearing strategies and reasons for various techniques of upgrading to Jaguar. I'll be getting it sometime next week but will probably wait a couple of weeks to get compliant versions of important or useful software which have to be upgraded to run under OS 10.2.

Prior to OSX I'd just automatically do a clean install of major revisions (for example 7.6 to 8.1) and upgrade minor revisions (8.5 to 8.6). It would of course be simpler to merely upgrade and is appealing as my two OSX partitions are running smoothly but...

Additionally, I'll be swapping out my second 40GB hard drive for an 80GB and have already cloned my current bootable OSX partitions via a firewire enclosure to the new hard drive in anticipation of really shifting to OSX as my primary OS.

Another small thing... in a post below by mervTormel, he describes "one of the three methods of installing 10.2 (clean, archive, upgrade)." What is "archive" as a means of installing Jaguar?

Thanks,
Welles

Matt Milano
08-19-2002, 10:22 AM
"Archive and Install" is a completely new way of installing. The installer archives your old System and Home folder, and installs a basically fresh system. You can then drag information over that you want to keep.

As to which install is better, MacWorld just did a review that addressed that question. They said that while in most cases straight upgrading worked, in other cases it created a lot of problems. They recommended doing the "Archive and Install" option at the very least.

Other reports from early adopters also indicate that their are varying degrees of speed gain by "Archiving and Installing" or "Formatting and Installing" instead of straight upgrading.

Phil St. Romain
08-19-2002, 10:35 AM
We've had quite a discussion on this topic that you can find on this thread (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4576).

Just FYI.

Welles Goodrich
08-19-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Matt & Phil...

Matt answered the Archive and Install concisely and Phil, your link had all the questions about which I was wondering answered along with some I hadn't even considered. I was doing a huge job on 12,000 images in the period during which that discussion took place and didn't know about it! All my computers were tied up for three weeks!

Anyway, my conclusion is to do a clean install and build up a new OSX by installing all my apps anew. Fortunately I have a fine firewire enclosure which boots almost as well as the internal hard drives so I'll stick with that for OS 10.1.5, while I build up my new systems.

Welles