PDA

View Full Version : Mount Server with Alias Files Broken in Tiger?

cmcnaught
11-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Like many users, I have used alias files pointing to mounted servers on the Desktop to automatically mount when required, it's particularly convenient to avoid users having to select which share to mount. This appears to have broken in my recent upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.3. There used to be an "Options" button on one of the "Connect to Server" windows which was part of setting this up and is no longer present. Any hints or fix or alternative ways to automatically have desired server shares show up on the desktop? I'm not a Windows fan but "Map Drives" is a feature that save a lot of time.
I have a Windows XP, G4 Laptop and Dual G5 on my network. The Laptop is at 10.4.3 but the G5 is still 10.3.9.
Colin

yellow
11-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I found that creating AppleScripts (compiled as apps and left in the Dock) makes life a lot easier when dealing with mounted drives/folders. You never get the broken aliases.

Las_Vegas
11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
I had this happen with my Powerbook's connection to my G4 Desktop. Apparently the link to the desktop broke and remained even when the network was disconnected. What I did was to first disconnect the network. Then from terminal I entered: cd /Network
sudo rm -f <Desktop's Name>
When the network was reconnected, the G4 Desktop appeared and functioned correctly.