PDA

View Full Version : using Powerbook as display for PC laptop?

saurya_s
11-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Dear all,
My PC laptop has got its TFT blown up. Is there any way that will allow me to connect my Powerbook to the PC laptop and erase everything from the PC hard drive. Can this be done with firewre cable.
Thanks
S

Photek
11-03-2005, 07:30 AM
if you have 'file sharing' set up on your PeeCee from before, you should be able just to access your laptop from your mac via ethernet and trash anyfiles it allows you too.....

I am kinda sure that target disk mode is a mac only thang.

another alternative would be to plug your laptop into an external monitor and do what ever you need from your PeeCee direct

AHunter3
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
You can also remove the PC hard drive, and either put it in an external drive housing or remove also the Mac hard drive put the PC drive in its place (if you have other bootable drives for the Mac).

I've done this several times to rescue PC users' files after hardware failure and/or viruses.

saurya_s
11-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Ok, can I use my powerbook as a monitor for PC laptop.
S

AHunter3
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Ok, can I use my powerbook as a monitor for PC laptop.
S
Not easily. PowerBooks don't have a VGA-in or DVI-in port or anything of that nature. If you just happen to have already installed VNC or Timbuktu onto the PC and it's set up to allow remote access, then yeah, sure. Not much fun trying to install and configure such apps "in the dark", though.

Hmm... that does provoke the thought that you could use a monitor as a monitor for the PC laptop, though. Got one handy?

(Would the PC operating system cheerfully decide to use it as a second screen, though, putting the start menu and all your desktop icons on the nonworking TFT? That would not be much fun...)

CAlvarez
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Would the PC operating system cheerfully decide to use it as a second screen
By default, no. If you had configured it that way previously, it would stay that way. However, every Wintel that I know of has a "change monitors" key built in which will let you choose the monitor at a hardware level.