PDA

View Full Version : From combo drive to superdrive (iMac G5)

Jamnamerican
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Okay, i bought my imac on amazon for $890.10 compared to the $1200 Apple was charging on its website
it would have been $1200 for the superdrive version so i figured id save a lot of money by just going with the combo but i wish to switch it to the super drive to burn movies that ill be making.
My only question is what should I go with an external dvd-rw drive which connects via a firewall or usb cable or should I replace the combo drive with the super drive, ive looked at the imac and i just cant figure how you would open the computer there to replace it, so just wonder if this is possible before I buy something and then i figured out its not Imac G5 comitable.

truewest662
10-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Go with an external drive. I have the super drive but I got an external drive since I burn so much. Go with the Lacie DVD burner, it has a firewall and USB, good for both PC and Mac. Haven't had a problem with mine. Got it for $149 I think straight from the LaCie website.

robarmo
10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
It's FireWire by the way, a Firewall is a piece of hardware or software to protect your computer from the outside world by filtering the traffic on a network connection such as the Internet.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Rob.