PDA

View Full Version : Print dialogs missing buttons

maddys_daddy
10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Since 10.4.1 (now running 10.4.2), I've been having a strange issue with print dialogs. When I bring up the dialog, only about half of the buttons/options/etc. show up (although they're still clickable, e.g., I can click the spot where the cancel button should be to cancel the dialog), or they are scrambled across the dialog. Screenshots attached. I've tried everything from uninstalling/reinstalling all printers, using Printer Setup Repair to repair CUPS, restoring cups, etc. Nothing fixes this. Clicking another printer in the printer dropdown list restores all buttons/options/etc., and the dialog remains normal after going back to my desired printer (hence it's not priner specific).
After clicking File>Print (or Cmd-P) in just about any app, the console.log shows this:
2005-10-21 09:29:11.376 firefox-bin[1728] PScurrentwindowbounds: CGSGetWindowBounds returned error (1001)
Anyone else having this problem? Any idea what's causing this? This is really frustrating.

bramley
10-21-2005, 12:48 PM
You say the problem began with 10.4.1? Does that mean you upgraded and there was the problem, or was it sometime after the upgrade?

If the problem happened immediately after you upgraded, did you try repairing file permissions with Disc Utility?

Does the problem exist with another freshly created user?

If yes, what happens when you start the computer in safe mode? Starting in safe mode is described in this (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393) Apple article.

maddys_daddy
10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
You say the problem began with 10.4.1? Does that mean you upgraded and there was the problem, or was it sometime after the upgrade?
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure exactly when it started, but I don't remember this happening immediately after upgrading to Tiger (installed via Upgrade method). I'm almost sure it started sometime after installing 10.4.1, b/c I've been having the problem for a while, and I remember hoping that the point update would fix the problem.

If the problem happened immediately after you upgraded, did you try repairing file permissions with Disc Utility?
Oh yes. I've run just about every maintenance routine I could think of using Disk Utility, Onyx, and Printer Setup Repair.

Does the problem exist with another freshly created user?
Man, I hadn't even thought of trying this. On your suggestion, I just created a brand spankin' new user, and guess what--it doesn't happen to the new user. So it's obviously tied to my user, which just happens to be the only user on this laptop (other than the test user I just created).
Thanks again for the help. I really hope we can get to the bottom of this. It's VERY annoying!

giskard22
10-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, first thing to try might be to delete everything in ~/Library/Printers and log out.

maddys_daddy
10-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Well, first thing to try might be to delete everything in ~/Library/Printers and log out.
Okay, tried that, and it didn't change anything. However, I have figured out another pertinent fact: this only happens with non-Cocoa apps (I think). For example, Mail.app, Safari, TextEdit, and iCal all display proper, un-broken print dialogs on the first try. However, TextWrangler, Firefox, MS Word, and Adobe Acrobat all display the "broken" print dialogs. I'm no programmer, nor do I pretend to know much about Cocoa, but I'm pretty sure that the apps displaying good dialogs are all Cocoa based, and the others are not. This tells me that this is somehow related to Cocoa. Anyone know where I can go from here?
Thanks again!

hayne
10-21-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that the apps displaying good dialogs are all Cocoa based, and the others are not. This tells me that this is somehow related to Cocoa.
You mean it is somehow related to non-Cocoa. I.e. probably to Carbon, which is the other main set of code libraries used in OS X.
I don't see how that could be unless perhaps the Carbon apps are using a different font than the Cocoa apps and your user account has somehow screwed up the fonts. Or maybe there is a cache of the dialogs for the Carbon apps that is screwed up ?

In any case, you have determined that the problem is only with the one user account. So here's my generic response for that:
The problem thus is almost certainly due to something under your home folder.
And it likely is something under ~/Library
( ~ = your home folder)
The most likely thing is a bad preference file under ~/Library/Preferences
You could start by removing the preference files for the apps you are having trouble with.
If the problem persists, you need to narrow the problem down - you could start by moving (via drag & drop) the whole "Preferences" folder that is under ~/Library to the Desktop, then log out and log in again. A default copy of the Preferences folder will have been recreated. Does that improve things? If so, you could use a divide & conquer approach to figure out which of the preference files is causing the problem - move half of the preference files back into the Preferences folder, log out & in again, etc.

If the problem persists, try the same thing with the other sub-folders of ~/Library. E.g. with ~/Library/Fonts, ~/Library/Caches, ~/Library/InputManagers, ~/Library/Application Support, contents of ~/Desktop, etc.

maddys_daddy
10-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Carbon, Cocoa, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know the ins and outs of them, but I know enough to know that many 3rd party apps don't use either, and these are the apps that are displaying broken dialogs. So I guess it would seem that neither of these frameworks/environments (?) are broken, but whatever OS X uses to handle print dialogs for non-Cocoa/Carbon apps is somehow broken.
I'm also not too willing to completely trash/rename all of my plist files, as I have spent considerable time setting all the prefs for my many apps. Besides, Firefox doesn't use a standard OS X plist, and it's displaying the same problem. (FWIW, as part of my t/s'ing, I did delete all printing related plists in my ~/Library/Preferences folder--didn't fix anything.) I also renamed the entire ~/Library/Caches folder, logged out/in, and the problem persists.
Like I said, I'm not a programmer/Mac expert, but my gut feeling, given the facts, is that it has to do with whatever API/handler/library handles non-Carbon/Cocoa printing dialogs.
Hmmmm... Strange.

hayne
10-21-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm also not too willing to completely trash/rename all of my plist files, as I have spent considerable time setting all the prefs for my many apps. Besides, Firefox doesn't use a standard OS X plist, and it's displaying the same problem. (FWIW, as part of my t/s'ing, I did delete all printing related plists in my ~/Library/Preferences folder--didn't fix anything.)

What I have suggested above is a non-destructive way of narrowing down the problem. You just rename (or move to a different location) the whole Preferences folder and then log out and in again. If the problem has gone away at that point, you know it must have been something in the Preferences folder.
If the problem hasn't gone away, you can put back the whole Preferences folder (renaming the new one that got created for you) and proceed to try the same thing with one of the other sub-folders of ~/Library

my gut feeling, given the facts, is that it has to do with whatever API/handler/library handles non-Carbon/Cocoa printing dialogs
That may well be - but you seem to have found that the problem exists only for the one user account. This points almost certainly to the problem being with some file under your home folder.

maddys_daddy
10-22-2005, 12:29 AM
I figured it out! Unsanity's APE! When you reminded me that it was based on something unique to my user, I tried renaming the prefs and caches folders like you suggested, and that didn't work. There wasn't much else in my ~/Library folder that I thought would make a difference, so I thought long and hard about what might be unique to my user--then I rememberd a couple of user-only (non-system wide) PrefPanes that I'd installed. I started with APE, since it's been known to cause other strange problems for other people. Worked like a champ. I only have 3 modules installed, and I'm going to start troubleshooting those now, but at least I know what's causing my print dialog woes.
Thanks for reminding me of which direction to go. Hope this thread helps someone else.

hayne
10-22-2005, 01:14 AM
There wasn't much else in my ~/Library folder that I thought would make a difference, so I thought long and hard about what might be unique to my user--then I rememberd a couple of user-only (non-system wide) PrefPanes that I'd installed.

I'm glad you figured out what was causing your problem.
But I'd like to point out that you didn't need to "think long and hard" in order to get to the solution. You would have gotten to it by merely continuing the mechanical procedure I suggested. After all "PreferencePanes" is one of the sub-folders of ~/Library

maddys_daddy
10-22-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm glad you figured out what was causing your problem.
But I'd like to point out that you didn't need to "think long and hard" in order to get to the solution. You would have gotten to it by merely continuing the mechanical procedure I suggested. After all "PreferencePanes" is one of the sub-folders of ~/Library
True, true. You're right, that would've worked, too. I guess I just took a different path. Didn't really think that long or hard, just scratched my head for a few minutes.