PDA

View Full Version : how do i open an exel xlr file?

wanadoo
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi, i'm new with apple, i always had pcs and now i have an imac,
i have lots of excel files with the extension xlr and i cannot open them with my new mac, i have exel in my mac but the extension of the files i can opes is xls, is there any way to open xlr files or convert them to xls?
thaks. ps my imac is g4 mac ox 10.1.5

hayne
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Googling for that file extension shows that ".xlr" indicates an MS Works file (See e.g. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsx.asp)
So it seems that you don't have Excel files, you have MS Works files.
I don't know if Excel can import these. You may need to go back to MS Works and export them as something Excel-compatible.

By the way, the 10.1.5 version of OS X is now extremely old - the current version (Tiger) is 10.4 (as opposed to 10.1 that you have). You will find that your Mac will be much faster (as well as more feature-full) with a more recent version of OS X. You can usually get a copy of older versions of OS X quite cheaply on eBay. Make sure that you get a retail version of the CD, not just an upgrade or "restore" disk (that came with some particular model of Mac).

But depending on what iMac you have, you might need to upgrade the iMac's firmware before upgrading to 10.2 or later. Check with the Apple site.

(You said that you have a G4 iMac - that would indicate a relatively recent machine which then wouldn't need a firmware update. But then why do you have such an old version of OS X on it? I don't think there were any G4 iMacs that shipped with 10.1)

robarmo
10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually, the original versions (like mine) shipped with Mac OS X 10.1.2

The only ever firmware update I've required was for the SuperDrive, which only applied to the top-end model as the others at the time came with combo drives.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently ;)
hehe.

Rob.

hayne
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Actually, the original versions (like mine) shipped with Mac OS X 10.1.2
Right - I see now that the G4 (flat-panel) iMacs came out in January 2002 while Jaguar (10.2) wasn't until August 2002.
All this ancient history!

Raven
10-21-2005, 10:37 AM
The files you have that are xlr are not true Excel files. They are Microsoft Works files. Those can't be opened directly on your Mac. You will need to go back to the PC and make sure that in Save As, you save them as Excel files and not Works files. Then the extension will be xls (which stands for Excel SpreadSheet).

wanadoo
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
The files you have that are xlr are not true Excel files. They are Microsoft Works files. Those can't be opened directly on your Mac. You will need to go back to the PC and make sure that in Save As, you save them as Excel files and not Works files. Then the extension will be xls (which stands for Excel SpreadSheet).

thank you for the information, now i understand, there is some thing else, the thing is i've worked for 2 years with my old pc and have lots of xlr files, is there anyway to convert all the files in one go to an excel format? if not i'll take me for ages, thanks

Raven
10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Try to doa search for batch processing on windows for Excel files... I'm sure some one has come up with a batch process to change excel files... I know it can be done... Just don't know how to write a batch file... Either that or create a macro in excel... Not realy good at thay either :S

roncross@cox.net
10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Download openoffice at

http://www.openoffice.org/

They make it for both macs and windows. If you install it on your mac, it may be able to open .xlr files for ya. If it does, then you can continue to use the .xlr format doing a batch conversion.

-RLC

chabig
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
There is also MacLinkPlus Deluxe (http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html).

Chris

mic_dee
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
This may not work on more complicated .xlr files, but i have found that simply changing the extension to .xls will allow these files to open in Excel flawlessly.

townsend1830
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I received an attachment with an xlr extension and followed the advice of mic.dee. Changing the extension from xlr to xls worked like a charm. I was able to open it in Excel. Thank you!