PDA

View Full Version : Can't save a pdf file from Safari

mnoel
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
My bank makes statements available as pdf's. I can view these from Safari, and I can switch to Preview from in Safari if I like, but I can't find a way to save them. I thought I should be able to from Preview but the 'Save' and 'Save As ...' options are greyed out.

Anyone know of a workaround?

nkuvu
10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Can you control-click (or right click, if you're using a multi-button mouse) and "Save link to downloads folder" ?

bramley
10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I've not had this issue - being unable to save a PDF in Safari.

But the document you are actually viewing (unless this is something I've not encountered) is not on the website, but a local copy in '/tmp' on the machine.

So in Finder's menu -> Go -> Go to Folder and type "/tmp" in the sheet that appears. If the PDF has been downloaded to your machine, you should see a copy there, which you can drag to where you want it.

You still can't copy it, of course :)

cwtnospam
10-20-2005, 04:33 PM
If all else fails, you could print to pdf.

mnoel
10-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I just stumbled on the solution: Use 'Save As . . .' from Safari, not Preview.

Turns out you can't even print to PDF with these files, don't know why. Also right-click in Safari or Preview provides no useful options.

Thanks for the suggestions.

zoltanblum
11-29-2005, 04:43 AM
I stumbled into this thread, looking for advice, when realizing that I could no longer choose the "Save as pdf" option in Safari; the only options remaining are "Page Source" and "Web Archive".
Suspecting the Adobe internet plugin, I ditched that, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

PB 15 1,67 (last revision), 2GB, 10.4.3, Safari 2.0.2

hayne
11-29-2005, 06:58 AM
I could no longer choose the "Save as pdf" option in Safari

You should try the standard troubleshooting suggestions:
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ (see the "My Mac needs help" section)
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004011205473937
http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=7269
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html

In particular, be sure to try logging in as a different user to see if the problem exists there. (Create a new user via the Accounts preference panel if you only have the one user account so far.)

robarmo
11-29-2005, 07:34 AM
In the case of the original post, it's because the PDFs are password protected, this hint from the main site should be useful:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051104075535590&query=password+protected+pdf

Looking at the dates, it's possible that hint was submitted as a result of this thread.

Zoltanblum: Have you totally lost the ability to save PDFs from Safari or are you encountering problems just with specific sites/files (as with the original post)?

I'm not totally sure if you are experiencing the same problem here, but hopefully the linked hint will help.

Rob.

Raven
11-29-2005, 09:39 AM
And please specify if you have installed Adboe CS products such as Acrobat... it may be a glitch with the installation of the Acrobat pluggin that disableds the option.

zoltanblum
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Hayne: created new account, problem still there.

Rob: yes, total loss of 'save-as-pdf-ability'.

Raven: I did install Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 some time ago but I believe (not sure) that I saved some web pages as pdf after that.

I'm very grateful for your input, this is indeed an amazing forum...

I guess I'll have to use the print dialog; that method works fine, but I'm bothered still.

Zoltan

bghini
03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I had the same problem, using Leopard. It's my first mac, I've bought it 2 weeks ago.

As soon as you open the pdf document, if you bring the pointer to the bottom of the visualization, some icons activate, in gray. They are zoom out, zoom in, open PDF in preview and finally SAVE PDF IN DOWNLOAD FOLDER.

That's it. :rolleyes:

Optimus75
10-03-2011, 04:12 AM
This is to help someone save a pdf file from the internet viewed in Safari.

Im running Safari Version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1) on iMac.
**Need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or perhaps another pdf reader on computer**

1) From File menu click on "Save As..."
(only option available now, it seems there was a save as pdf option previously in Safari)

2) the save to box that opens up will show the internet reference to the server storing the pdf page for the website.

3) Click to save the document in a place on the computer you can remember to find it...Desktop usually good...then move it somewhere else if you prefer.

4) as described in point 2 where the internet reference is shown in the Save As box, retype the name of the pdf. file to something you can remember it by and then end it by typing .pdf . For example, "abcd.pdf"

5) If these instructions are clear and have been followed correctly the file should appear on your desktop (if optioned to save there). Then simply double click on the icon to open in Acrobat Reader.

Hope this helps, happy saving!

daveo
05-04-2012, 05:11 AM
I've had a similar issue with not being able to download PDFs from Safari 5.1.5 and haven't had any luck finding a solution anywhere on the web (although I have been amazed at the number of people who suggest File - Save As). I starting playing around with different settings and this appears to have fixed my problem

Right click in PDF Page Display Properties Documents View documents in PDF/A mode - Never