PDA

View Full Version : Help, Norton Killed my Imac

JordanHighway
08-08-2002, 12:56 PM
I was installing Norton System Works 2.0 on my 10.1.5 iMac and the installer froze for 20 minutes on one file it was trying to install. Nothing responded and I couldn't load up the "force quit" menu. I used the restart button and the system didn't start up, instead I just got a grey screen.

I then booted into the Norton CD and tried to use DiskWarrior and DiskDoctor, but neither could fix the drive (norton just froze while scanning, and DiskWarrior froze while attempting to read the drives directories.

The drive itself shows up as "Macintosh HD" as it should, but it doesn't show up in any OS reinstallers. Any idea on how I could recover this drive? I have some important things on it.

JordanHighway
08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
DiskWarior Recovery Edition (on the Norton SysWorks CD) seems to freeze on Step 5 of 9, Locationg Directory Data.

The NortSysWorks CD also has Ethernet AppleTalk support, so I can run recovery programs on my PowerBook and save recovered files to it as well.

I am downloading the diskRescue demo for os9 and am going to try that next. Heard many good things about it. If I can recover my mySQL database file, I will be buying it.

All I need to recover are... MySQL database, my Sites folder. That is mainly what I need off the drive. Email database wouldn't be bad either.

JordanHighway
08-08-2002, 03:54 PM
okay, first DataRecover says it needs CarbonLib 1.5 or later. NortonCD only has 1.4. So I make a bootable copy of the disc WITH 1.6 on it. Now it says that it needs Interfacelib-GetComponentSomething (forgot what it exactly needed, but Interfacelib is the main bit).

Now, I do not know where to find the interfacelib. I think it is QuickTime related, so I am going to make YET ANOTHER boot CD this time with QT on it.

Hope this works

pink
08-08-2002, 04:10 PM
I used DiskDoctor twice when OS X wasn't born (OS 8.5 on a G3/500). In both cases I was left with a non-recognized harddisk (the famous blinking question mark...). In both cases rebooting with the mac installer-cd and running disk first aid did the job. Never used Norton since.

Cheers, pink

JordanHighway
08-08-2002, 05:37 PM
woohoo

* JH does the dance of joy

Not sure how it happened, but after I made a modded copy of my iMac Software Restore disc (modded meaning that I put CarbonLib 1.6 on it), after I booted my hard drive is now visiable. CUrrently doing a massive backup over to my laptop. Taking forever though.