PDA

View Full Version : Want to change desktop pic behind login

network23
08-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Anyone know where/how to change the "desktop pic" that's behind the login window? I thought maybe changing the desktop pic as "root" would do it, but apparently not. I don't want to change anything about the login window itself, just the fullscreen image behind it.

Thanks!

nkuvu
08-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Easiest way is to use Visage (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12745&db=mac).

taikahn
08-08-2002, 01:28 PM
As far as I know, visage does NOT do that. I dont know of anyway to do it. If you find out, Id like to know aswell.... tai@NOTFORLONG.mac.com (you'll have to fix my address)

nkuvu
08-08-2002, 01:35 PM
It worked for me.

Or maybe it was TinkerTool...

I'll double check when I get home.

sbur
08-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Visage DOES do this, but only to the background...the "login" panel is only customizable in that the computer name and apple picture can be changed...the pinstripe backgrouund isn't changed.

This really only works well if the picture doesn't have anything interesting in the center (i.e. is just frams the login panel).

nkuvu
08-08-2002, 02:35 PM
OK, right, the image behind the login panel can be changed with Visage.

Which is what network23 asked for, from what I understand. :)

I changed it, but I never see the change, since I never log out of my computer, since I'm the only user...

But at least somewhere in the back of my mind I know it's different. :)

Craig R. Arko
08-08-2002, 02:41 PM
The background picture is "/Library/Desktop Pictures/Aqua Blue.jpg"

The login panel is "/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemStarter/QuartzDisplay.bundle/Resources/BootPanel.pdf"

Back these up and edit (or replace) these as desired. Keep the paths and the original files handy in case you need to restore them if there's a problem.

network23
08-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I knew about Visage, but wanted to be able to change it for myself, rather than relying on an app to do it.

Craig,
Definitely the simplest, low-tech way to make the change. :)

rusto
08-08-2002, 06:58 PM
My best guess is that it resides inside the Extras.rsrc file (I snooped around in some 3rd party OS X themes that I know change the startup background pic).

The trick is looking inside Extras.rsrc to see whats in there.

derekhed
08-08-2002, 07:18 PM
The site www.resexcellence.com has some nice images and instructions on how to change the login screen. I notice that every system upgrade seems to wipe out the changes I make though... :rolleyes:

rusto
08-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Go into /Library/Desktop Pictures and Aqua Blue.jpg is the background image at login. Just put the pic you want in there and rename it to Aqua Blue.jpg and you'll have it.

nkuvu
08-08-2002, 10:50 PM
Rusto, you're a little late. Craig already pointed that one out. :)

rusto
08-09-2002, 06:56 AM
DOH! I was so feverishly checking around and checking back on this thread I musta missed his post!