PDA

View Full Version : Word 2004 troubleshooting

kawliga
10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
I upgraded to Office 2004 two weeks ago. Since then, Word hangs frequently requiring a Force Quit. This usually occurs when I try to open a document, but sometimes after awaking from sleep or going to get a cup of coffee. I.E. whenever.

Anyone know of standard first steps for dealing with unstable Microsoft Office installs?

Raven
10-12-2005, 12:36 PM
The first thing you can try is to take a look at the CrashLogs in the Console (found in the utilities folder) to see if there is one for Word. post it back here so every one can take a look at it.
Also, could you try to create a new user account on the computer and see if you get that same issue with Word.

dhalterman
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Do you have any software that works with Word. I have EndNote and have found that Word hangs quite often because of the plugins that EndNote uses. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out what I can do to solve the problem.

seagull
10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
...and make sure you have updated Office/Word to latest version

-seagull

kawliga
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Nothing in the crash logs referring to Word. Good advice, though and I'll keep checking it as it happens.

I'll create a new user the next time I need to do a lot of Office intensive work. It's too sporadic (once or twice a day ranging to once or twice a week) to replicate quickly...

No plug ins or other add ons to Office. That stuff scares me.