PDA

View Full Version : External Ethernet Hard Drive Through Airport?

ben_ramirez
09-26-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm having a really tough time getting a new out-of-box 250 Gig iomega Network Hard Drive to be seen on the network. It comes with a "drive discovery" program that is supposed to find the drive anywhere you plug it in on the network, but it is failing miserably.

I have a netopia 4 port dsl modem/router, with an airport extreme plugged into one port, and an HP printserver plugged into another port.

a g4 cube, g4 powerbook, and WinXP machine are connecting wirelessly through the airport.

I've tried plugging the HD (which is ethernet only) into one of the routers empty ports (no luck), into the G4 cube (no luck), into the airport with a straight patch and crossover cable (no luck). Can anyone tell me how to view and use this HD as a networked drive, like its supposed to be?! :confused:

ThreeDee
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I think you can type in the IP address or something. (ie. 192.168.0.1) I don't know what yours it though.

hayne
09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
You probably want to have the Airport basestation in "bridge mode" so that the wireless machines are on the same sub-network as the drive. This is covered in the Airport Admin manual but basically you want to turn off "distribute IP addresses" so the wireless machines use the DHCP of the Netopia.

giskard22
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Once you've done that, things might just start working. If they don't, you should be able to check the router's DHCP leases to find the IP address of the hard drive. Somewhere in its web configuration system the router should be able to show you all the addresses that it's given out. Sometimes the identifying names are enough to tell what's what, but worst case you can use process of elimination.

If you've accounted for all the addresses that are active and none of them are the hard drive, contact Iomega (or see if you can do some sort of reset procedure on the hard drive).