PDA

View Full Version : Lost Admin. Password

AznNation
09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
I have a used G3 iMAC running OS 10.1.5. My problem is that I don't have the Administrator Password for this computer and can't change the system preferences or even save files to the hard disk, which is locked.

What can I do to reset the Administator password?

I don't have the OS 10.1.5 Installer CD, so I can't use that.

Is there any way that I can change this password using terminal or UNIX commands?

Also, if I were to go about and buy a MacOS X installer CD to reset the password, can I use any OS X version, or does it need to specifically be OS 10.1.5?

Craig R. Arko
09-07-2005, 08:29 AM
I would buy an installation CD set and wipe the existing system and do a clean install.

hayne
09-07-2005, 08:45 AM
if I were to go about and buy a MacOS X installer CD to reset the password, can I use any OS X version, or does it need to specifically be OS 10.1.5?
You can use any version of OS X and so it would be best to get a more recent version.
But note that some of the iMacs needed a firmware upgrade in order to be able to install version 10.2 (and later). This firmware upgrade needed to be installed while booted from OS 9. So be sure to get your iMac up to date on firmware while booted in OS 9 before you do any upgrading of OS X.