PDA

View Full Version : Schedule mounting of a Firewire HD?

UniAce
08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi all,
Is there a way to schedule the mounting and unmounting of an external firewire hard drive? I have one that I only use for backups once a week and that I don't need to be mounted (or even ON) at other times. But I'd rather not manually turn it on and off every week.

I'm running OS X 10.4.2.
Maybe there's a way to schedule mounts in OS X? If not, maybe an application somewhere can do it? Thanks!

Photek
08-23-2005, 02:53 AM
there should be all the functions to do this in 'automator'...

you could run a script every time your mac turns on to 'eject disk or move to trash', and set it up not to do that on the day you want to back up..

to be fair.... is it that hard to flick an 'on' switch one a week?! :D

UniAce
08-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Automator later and see if I can get it to do what I want.

Turning the external hard drive on/off once a week: easy.
REMEMBERING to do that every week on the right day: well, that's a different story!

UniAce
08-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Well, I was trying to go the Automator route, and I succeeded in making a workflow to eject the the firewire volume, but I can't figure out how to make one to mount the volume again. Maybe this can be done in Applescript? Maybe it can't be done?

markashley
08-24-2005, 02:48 AM
You should be able to do this on the command line. Mount your disk in the normal way, then open a terminal and type mount. Press enter and it will give you a list of all the drives you have mounted. Look for a line with the same name as your drive, something like this:

/dev/disk1s3 on /Volumes/MyDrive

The disk1s3 bit will be different depending on how the drive is connected.

Now, with the drive plugged in to the firewire port but ejected, try typing in the following command:

mount /dev/disk1s3 /Volumes/MyDisk

where disk1s3 is the name you noted earlier and MyDisk is the name of the disk. It should mount the drive as if you had plugged it in. If this works, you can write a shell script to do this and then call it from your automator script.

Mark