PDA

View Full Version : MS Word X for Mac Styles

kawliga
08-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I am pulling my hair out over this seeming bug. Please stop me from removing it all.

I'm using Word (X for Mac) on a PowerBook (1.33, .3.9, 1.24 gig). I have used the organizer to bring my preferred styles into my document.

All of my Header styles (1,2,3, etc.) are overriding my chosen before and after paragraph spacing with "auto." When I go to modify the spacing in the paragraph dialog of the styles menu, it shows the 18 and 6 pt before and after settings I picked. When I look at the description of the styles, it says "auto."

It won't even let me manually change, using highlight and the formatting palette, the spacing in the style.

Is there some weird inheritance thing going one? Why would it show "auto" in the style description but not in the paragraph modify dialog?

Bill Gates' face would look great bouncing off my knee.

kawliga
08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Nevermind.

I have moved my document over to an XP box running Word 2003.

This version also changes my styles to "auto" spacing before and after the paragraphs (though it also retains all my other settings).

The difference is, on the XP machine, I can change the spacing before and after the style and it actually sticks. Also there is no conflict between what is reported by the styles dialog and what is reported by the paragraph dialog.

This is clearly a bug specific to Word X for the Mac.

Good thing I keep a PC around.

Photek
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
what version of word X is it? the original v10 had LOADS of glitches but 10.1.6 fixed most of them..