PDA

View Full Version : Destroy airport express or myslef?

casares
07-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Im a beginner so please be patient. At work we've got a wired network. Ive got one ethernet wire in my office. If I plug it in to my ethernet port of my ibook I am connected to the inet and other computers either as long as my network settings are like this: automatic-built in ethernet - TCP/IP - configure IPv4: manually - and then fill in all the funny long numbers provided by the ISP uncluding dns server. Then proxies: check ftp, web and secure web proxies filling the same ftp proxy server and port in. The PASV is checked as well. Thats it, when I press apply and open safari - itworks all fine.

Now I want to connect my single office ethernet wire to airport express so I (just me cause noone else has got wifi card) can visit my colleges in other offices while beeing connected. I created a network, set the base station as a bridge, in the internet section of airport admin utility filled all the same number from system pref/network. Then I let show airport in my location on sys pref/network and filled in the proxies.
The airport express thing flashes green but I still can't connect to the internet neither see other computers etc. And I am desperate

Then an allert message occures when I join the wireless network: 192.168.1.111 in use by 00:11:24:61:4a:f0 (the first is my ip adress)

Network status says:airport is connected to the network. AP does not have an ip adress and cannot connect to the internet. And I can't see the base station in the AP admin utility.

Any help would be very kind.

casares
07-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Forgot: ibook g4, os x 10.4.2.

trevor
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
configure IPv4: manually - and then fill in all the funny long numbers provided by the ISP uncluding dns server.

<snip>

in the internet section of airport admin utility filled all the same number from system pref/network.

If I am reading this correctly you are giving your wired ethernet interface the same IP address as your wireless interface, at the same time. You can't have two nodes on a network with the same IP address, even if the two nodes are both the same computer. (IP addresses are actually attached to the network interface, not the computer.) If you must stick with manual IP addresses instead of using DHCP, give the wired ethernet and the wireless ethernet DIFFERENT IP addresses.

The Subnet Mast, Router, and DNS Servers can be identical, but the IP Address cannot.

Trevor