mac won't start up. All it shows is the blink "?/mac os9 icon." I
did the option restart, and the hard drive won't show
up. I put in the hardware detection problem disc, and
it said my hard drive was fine. Then I put in my
Panther install disc just to see what happened, and
when it says where do you want to install it, the hard
drive doesn't show up. I tried using disc utility to
repair it, but it couldn't, saying that one of the
volumes is missing or something like that.
So i'm guessing my cpu can't read or find my hard
drive for some reason.
I also used Disk Warrior to repair and it got to a certain point and just stopped. i left it on over night and nothing.
is techtool pro any different, and do you thing that would work, or should i just take it to a technician and hopefully they can save some of the stuff that was on my HD. I cant use a firewire HD because if my hd is not showing up, then i cant save anything.

If you can help me out, I would forever be in your
debt. Please help me out if you can.

yellow
07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
You definitely didn't get a virus.

It sounds like your hard drive has failed. Hopefully you have a good back up.

You did all the right steps to try and bring it back to life, but if Disk Warrior cannot fix it, IMO, you're pretty much limited to getting a new replacement hard drive. I don't think that spending the money on Tech Tool Pro will get you much further then DiskWarrior did. Though it's always worth a shot. Better yet if you can borrow it from someone.

hayne
07-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Just in case it might make a difference (probably unlikely but worth a shot) you could try hooking your Mac to another (functioning) Mac with a firewire cable and see if you can access your Mac's disk via firewire "target disk mode":
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

derekhed
07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
It always helps to post information about your computer too, what model, how much memory, how big was the hard drive, what system do you have installed?

Some odd solutions may be possible. I saved my data one time by sticking the hard drive in the freezer due to a particular failing of a particular brand of drive.

(yes, I took it out again! :p )

DeepaSoul
07-28-2005, 12:34 PM
well, i got the imac g4, 768 mg of ram, 80 gig hard drive, 800 ghz.

thanks for the help, if you got any more ideas, please add

kawliga
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Your freezer has an IDE bay?

derekhed
07-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Your freezer has an IDE bay?
LOL!

I had a drive that ended up being recalled, but I missed the deadline. It would run for a while, but after a couple of minutes it would become unresponsive. I found out the exact problem was related to the media not possessing a strong enough magnetic charge. So after grinding the mental gears, I recalled my Freshman physics and realized that if I cooled the entire unit, the magnetic charge would not be drowned out by the thermal motion and would be easier to pick up.

It was weird opening my computer case and packing the drive bay with ice-packs, but I was able to read my drive much longer than a couple of minutes and ended up moving all my data off after a couple of freezer-to-computer runs.

Before that, I has another older drive go dead on me and called the help desk. The advice I was given was to, "hold the drive off the top of your desk by about 3 feet, then drop it." I thought maybe I was talking to the janitor who was messing with me, but it worked and added a new word to my vocabulary - 'stiction'.

By and large, I'd agree with the fine advice offered by my learned peers. Sometimes there are odd little exceptions that allow you to get what you're after. ;)

I have never used Disk Warrior, but doesn't it have the option to pull what it can off the drive?

DeepaSoul
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
wait, so i should put my whole computer in my freezer. i dont think i can open my comp and just take out the hard drive, cause i dont have a tower, and apple doesn't let you open the whole computer(so I've heard, i've never had a reason to open it, except fot that little slot to put extra ram in). and for how long? this is the wierdest thing i have heard of. i hope you're not messing with me...lol. but i'll try anything at this point, before spending $500 to get this thing fixed.

derekhed
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Deepa, I would follow hayne and yellow's advice. Your goal at this point is to get the data off the disk.

1. You'll need a place to put it, another drive would be best, though another computer can be used in a pinch.

2. What steps have you followed in Disk Warrior? Be specific as I can't follow along with you to see what you mean.

DeepaSoul
07-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Deepa, I would follow hayne and yellow's advice. Your goal at this point is to get the data off the disk.

1. You'll need a place to put it, another drive would be best, though another computer can be used in a pinch.

2. What steps have you followed in Disk Warrior? Be specific as I can't follow along with you to see what you mean.

basically what i did was, when the repair screen came up it said click on an item you would like to repair. i clicked on my hard drive then clicked repair. then it said it did need a repair, would you like to repair it. obviously i clicked yes and i got to a point, maybe 1/3 into it, and then just didn't really move after that. i left it on over night, and nothing. it is still on, and i haven't checked it yet, in about a day and a half, but i really dont think it would do anything.

so you're saying i should firewire my comp to another mac, and try to get my hard drive up and then save everything from there and then get a new hard drive?

DeepaSoul
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
by the way, thanks for all the help, keep it coming

derekhed
07-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I am not entirely familiar with Disk Warrior's options. Is the 'repair disk' option the only one? Is there anything that allows you to recover only some of the data? This is often possible when the entire disk cannot be saved.

I myself used Disk Rescue X, which allowed me to skip over the ruined parts of the bad drive and continue scanning for good data. What I ended up with was a pile of documents I had to sort through, but I got probably 90% of the stuff back. I would think that Disk Warrior would have some similar 'scan' function.

The problem remains that you'll need a place to put the data whatever program you use.

hayne's suggestion was admittedly a long shot, but if you are going to use a second computer to put your data on, you can try it first.

Remember not to save anything else onto your drive if you manage to mount it.