PDA

View Full Version : Web Browser Page Rendering StopWatch

MBHockey
07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
i recall a jave applet(?) that would run in your web browser for the sole purpose of timing how long it took to load pages. This made it very easy to find the fastest page-rendering browser out there, but for the life of me i cannot find the site that offered this service.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about?

I need this because i am heavily considering buying OmniWeb 5, but it does feel a tad slower than Safari (which is weird, because i thought they use the same rendering engine, right?)

Anyway, if anyone knew the link for this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything via Google.

guardian34
07-14-2005, 04:43 PM
I believe OmniWeb uses a modified version of WebCore. I think they gain a little performance from this, but once Apple makes its own changes to WebCore/WebKit, OmniWeb's code is sort of outdated (instead of getting those updates "for free"). Thus, they try to improve performance and offer good options/GUI/etc., but they also have to play catch up with Apple's changes.

See also: Daring Fireball: OmniWeb 5.0 (http://daringfireball.net/2004/08/omniweb_5)

MBHockey
07-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for that. Quite upsetting though!

I wonder why OmniWeb handles heavy flash sites so much better than any other Mac browser then? But it does feel slower than Safari.