PDA

View Full Version : LCD Based Shuffle in the not-so-far future?

MBHockey
07-11-2005, 02:29 PM
My girlfriend is interning at Bloomberg in NYC this summer. They have some kind of news system there, and one of the recent topics was regarding Apple. She sent me the info, because she knows i am a mac nut, and i thought it was quite interesting and that i'd share it. I googled around, and couldn't find it anywhere else...

We are forecasting 5.4 million iPod units, and CPU growth rates of 26%-28%,
and we think this range of results will be good enough to hold the stock or
mildly positive. We acknowledge that predicting iPod units is much more
difficult, with complications in the supply chain.

For the iPod - we think Shuffle demand has been weak, though iPod Mini demand
has been strong. We expect a new Shuffle in the next few months, and believe
an LCD based refresh is needed. For systems, we think that demand for the
iMac has been strong, and the Mac Mini has been weak. Both of these mix
issues are positive for margins.

mclbruce
07-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Some of the smal audio players that the shuffle competes with use OLED displays instead of LCDs. This type of display doesn't need a backlight, and so doesn't use as much power.

styrafome
07-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Frankly it's hard to figure out what the heck that really means. It is a report from a financial analyst, not a technology insider. Nowhere does it say "Apple will..." all it says is "We believe..." That's not too different from some random guy's blog saying "Hey, I betcha Apple puts a screen on that thing eventually!" In other words, it's speculation that names no corroborating facts. If it had said something like "Due to a large order of tiny LCDs that Apple has placed with the Chinese manufacturer who supplies other iPod components..." then our ears would really perk up. You have to read between the lines with these things.