PDA

View Full Version : Extra requirement for Canadians in sweepstakes rules.

macmath
06-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I bought a packet of PaperMate wooden pencils. As I was opening it I noticed a sweepstakes running from March 1, 2005 until May 31, 2006 which gives away an 4GB iPod Mini each day. The standard way of entry is through the web...there is no way of entering through a purchase. So I went to the site and read the rules. It is only available to residents of the United States and Canada and has the usual items that you're not eligible if you work for PaperMate, Sanford, etc. But I thought the following was an interesting requirement, particularly since it seems to be required of residents of Canada but not of residents of the United States:

Selected entrants who are Canadian residents will be required to correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill testing question to be administered by mail or by telephone in order to win.

Does anyone else think that is odd?

Raven
06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
This is I think an official rule in Canada... You can't simply give something out li contests like this... There always is a mathematical question to be answered... Weird but I guess thats the way it is, and the laws being slightly different in the US, that type of question is not necessary...

macmath
06-29-2005, 10:26 AM
This is I think an official rule in Canada... You can't simply give something out li contests like this... There always is a mathematical question to be answered... Weird but I guess thats the way it is, and the laws being slightly different in the US, that type of question is not necessary...
In that case, I like the requirement! At least it is not something that PaperMate is doing on their own to distinguish between US and Canadian residents.

hayne
06-29-2005, 10:31 AM
There is a short summary of the "skill-testing question" requirement in this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_testing_question

Full details about the Canadian anti-gambling law and the reasons why contests require a skill-testing question are here:
http://www.gaminglawmasters.com/jurisdictions/canada/SkillvsChanceOct2004.htm

NovaScotian
06-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Skill-testing questions are the means by which you "earn" the prize which is therefore taxible income, rather than receive is as you would a lottery win which is not taxible in Canada.

macmath
06-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the links, hayne. That's interesting to know.

I suppose if one went to either Wikipedia or Google, they could find most anything.

voldenuit
06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the links elucidating the mystery, hayne.

It is impressing how legislative laziness can have surprising results.

In this case it's just funny that Canadians are not allowed to be plain lucky, but have to be skilled as well.

How about a skill-test for precise wording of intended rules of law ?

yellow
06-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Good thing they don't ask the same thing in the US. I'm willing to bet there'd be an appallingly high number of people who would be giving their prizes back.

jeffo
06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Good thing they don't ask the same thing in the US. I'm willing to bet there'd be an appallingly high number of people who would be giving their prizes back.

I aggree, especially when it comes to math!

Raven
06-29-2005, 12:56 PM
So its a minus (because of tax with the math question) but ends up being a plus (welll ok depends which side of the border you are)... But it is indeed a strange way to do things... It probably happened because of several preceding laws to try and restrict free of tax wins and it ended up being this odd rule...

yellow
06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Or geography..

To this I will apply one of my favorite Homer quotes:

Marge complains to Homer, "It took the children 40 minutes to locate Canada on the map."
Homer responds "Marge, anyone could miss Canada, all tucked away down there."

ArcticStones
07-04-2005, 01:06 AM
In this case it's just funny that Canadians are not allowed to be plain lucky, but have to be skilled as well.

Hmmm, that does sort of set their political system apart.
Rather bizarre, isnít it? :cool: