PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Servers in Dock

Dspclst06
06-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I work in a location where I have to access multiple servers and one some servers multiple partitions on the same server.

I was able to do this on 10.3.7(might have been earlier than that) and this is my problem:

I have a public server that I constantly have to access for file transfers and etc. It has a public partition that does not require a login(you just have to login as a guest). On the same server there is another parition just for my deparment(this requires a login/password from my department). Before I upgraded to 10.3.9 I was able to have one icon for the public partition and one icon for the private partition in my dock. But now I can't do that.

In addition when I try to put an alias for each on the desktop they don't stay linked to the correct parition. For example if I try to open the public partition via an alias on the desktop it works. But then if I try to get onto the private partition immediately after that icon changes to the public icon and logs me into the public server.

Can anyone tell me how I can get two icons to the same server but different partitions using different logins onto my Dock?

Thanks

Dspclst06
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I work in a location where I have to access multiple servers and one some servers multiple partitions on the same server.

I was able to do this on 10.3.7(might have been earlier than that) and this is my problem:

I have a public server that I constantly have to access for file transfers and etc. It has a public partition that does not require a login(you just have to login as a guest). On the same server there is another parition just for my deparment(this requires a login/password from my department). Before I upgraded to 10.3.9 I was able to have one icon for the public partition and one icon for the private partition in my dock. But now I can't do that.

In addition when I try to put an alias for each on the desktop they don't stay linked to the correct parition. For example if I try to open the public partition via an alias on the desktop it works. But then if I try to get onto the private partition immediately after that icon changes to the public icon and logs me into the public server.

Can anyone tell me how I can get two icons to the same server but different partitions using different logins onto my Dock?

Thanks

giskard22
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
You can get around this fairly easily if you create simple AppleScripts to connect to each server.

Open Script Editor, and make a 1-line script:
open location "afp://username:password@server.address.here/ShareName/"

Put the correct data in for the various placeholders, and try running it. You can change "afp" to "smb" if the shares are on a Windows server.

Then, just make a folder somewhere, and save a script for each server. Make sure in the Save dialog you choose "application" format. Then you can just put them in your dock, and one click will mount the server.

If you need true guest access to a server, put ";AUTH=NO%20USER%20AUTHENT" for the whole "username:password" string. I know that works for AFP servers, not sure about SMB.

giskard22
06-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm fairly sure I replied to this thread in another forum, maybe Networking? See my reply there.

hayne
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I merged the two threads.
Please don't post duplicate threads. Just choose one forum section and we will move the thread if it seems misplaced.

Dspclst06
06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Sorry about the multiple Posts. My boss ha been pushing me to figure out this whole server connection thing and he was standing over my shoulder and told me to post in multiple places. I'll make sure I don't do it again.

Dspclst06
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the applescript code. I'm excited to go into work tomorrow and try it. This will be my first apple script and i'm rather excited. LOL