PDA

View Full Version : iChat 3.0 not allowing multiple instances of AIM

psiorian
06-21-2005, 05:34 AM
I was wondering, I know the old iChat I could log onto AIM and then log onto AIM on another computer and not have it kick me out, but I had to change some option. I was wondering if iChat 3.0 (the one that comes with Tiger) will allow this. Every time I sign on to iChat it kicks me out of all other instances of AIM, is there a way to fix this?

giskard22
06-21-2005, 01:36 PM
This sounds like something that would be server-side, as in AOL's servers should determine whether you can do such a thing.

It may be that they allow it and your client software has to specifically support it. I don't see an option in Tiger's iChat that sounds related at all.

cudaboy_71
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
i'm afraid it is competely tiger/3.0 related.

i noticed this behavior as soon as i upgraded my powerbook to 10.4.

i have 3 other machines still running ichat 2.1 at home, and 1 at work. If i have the powerbook online and logged into 3.0, when i log in with one or all of the 2.1 copies, the 3.0 copy is logged off automatically. however, i can stay concurrently logged on fine with any of the 2.1 clients.

if i do it the other way 'round it becomes really frustrating. that is, if i'm online with any number of 2.1 clients and try to log on with 3.0 i get an annoying 'one logon per IP' message. i must physically get up and log out of each machine that is logged in to the AIM servers. huge PITA.

so, i too eagerly await a solution.

MBHockey
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
It is tiger related. Reports say that this is fixed for 10.4.2, but, how accurate those reports are remains to be seen.

10.4.2 is due out soon though, so we should see quite soon.