PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computer's marketshare up to 16%?

MBHockey
06-16-2005, 10:21 AM
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16_percent_of_computer_users_are_unaffected_by_viruses_malware/

Am I reading that right? Probably not, I have a splitting headache and am on very little sleep... :p

Caius
06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16_percent_of_computer_users_are_unaffected_by_viruses_malware/

Am I reading that right? Probably not, I have a splitting headache and am on very little sleep... :p

Kinda reading it right there MBHockey.

According to US News and World Report, Macintosh owners buy 30% more software than their Windows counterparts. Further, Macintosh software comprises over 18% of all software sold, according to the Software and Information Industry Association.

In addition, the Software Publishers Association (SPA) estimates that 16 percent of computer users are on Macs.

Basically because of the % amounts of software sold, the SPA is estimating that the marketshare of the mac could be around 16%.

In honest truth I don't think we can ever know how many % of users are using what systems. I think the marketshare for macs has increased from the widely quoted 5% but I'm not sure it will have reached 16% yet.

That said, I do live in a very small market town where about 40% of people don't own a computer. And I own 8/9 macs. :rolleyes:

I know of 3/4 other families that own macs in the town, and bumped into someone talking about tiger the other day that I have never met before, turns out he's bought a mac mini to replace his pc.

So maybe, just maybe, it is increasing slowly... :cool:

Photek
06-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I would like to know where people get these statistic from, I believe the 'macs are used by 2.5% of the world' claim came from hits on google... which is all well and good but I dont use google!

And I know its hardly scientific but 78% of the people I know use macs!!

and I guess its almost 100% on this forum :D

voldenuit
06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
The quoted article is extremely evasive about how they come up with their numbers (seats or dollars, timeframe considered...) and the links showing up below the article offer a wide choices of percentages.

It is unfortunate that they didn't link the sources of the different stats they quote.
I'm amazed how few publications take the trouble to actually link the sources they use in their stories, it would be so easy to do and having to google it for oneself looks suspicious and often reveals selective quoting or other inconsistencies.
Even more troubling is the fact that in the comments section only a select few question the sources of those quotes as they just "want to believe".

I'd be interested in some real stats with checkable background on that.

CAlvarez
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Did you know that 40% of sick days are taken on Mondays and Fridays?? Outrageous!

kawliga
06-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Well all I know is that 87% of people in WiFi coffee shops own PowerBooks and three out of four people in the U.S. make up 75% of the population.

mclbruce
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
...and three out of four people in the U.S. make up 75% of the population. But almost half of the population of the US is below average!!! Can you imagine!!!!!

Craig R. Arko
06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
'Market Share' and 'Installed Base' measure different things.

RacerX
06-16-2005, 11:54 AM
The numbers ring accurate to studies I've seen in the pass 6 years, but this is not market share.

Market share is a quarterly survey of systems sold. We, computer users, are only counted if we buy a new computer during that quarter. For example, I haven't been counted in market share since third quarter of 2000.

So why are these numbers so wildly different from those given via market share?

Because Mac users don't replace their systems that often.

From what I've seen Mac users go 3-5 years between new systems, while PC users range from 18-30 months. I know PC users who have been counted 3 or 4 times in market share since the last time I bought a new Mac. Which makes it a very bad way of deciding the size of a community.

I don't think anyone who works with Macs would be surprised by this number. In fact it was the realization that there are way more Mac users than market share would lead us to believe that made me consider dropping support for Windows.

On a side note, I've noticed a trend at Apple to try to reduce that 3-5 year period. But I think Apple realizes that there is only so much "designed obsolescence" and "deterrents to upgrades" that the community will except.

The directions of the iMac line shows Apple's attempts at this, and where Apple backed away a little in the latest version.

I think the Mac Mini is going to have the greatest effect on market share because people won't mind buying a new one every couple years.

fat elvis
06-16-2005, 12:03 PM
this article (http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastforward/0,15704,1072719,00.html) I read over at macnn may change Apple's market share :D and put us MacOS nerds in higher demand

Photek
06-16-2005, 02:04 PM
The thing that non of you have taken into consideration is that 23.5% of people know that 81.5% of statistics are made up on the spot.