PDA

View Full Version : S Jobs graduation speech at Stanford

mclbruce
06-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Stanford University posted a speech Stave Jobs gave there. From the web page: "This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, delivered on June 12, 2005."

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

voldenuit
06-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks a lot for the link.

Some real gems in there like this let's-not-be-excessively-modest tidbit:

...the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do.

Phil St. Romain
06-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, right. Only Jobs could have come up with that. No one else on the planet would have ever figured that out. :rolleyes:

BigDave
06-16-2005, 02:14 AM
If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do.

Doesn't he realise that if he HADN'T included proportional spacing & multiple typefaces then the Mac (and therefore Windows, I guess) wouldn't have been so lovingly embraced by the design, print & media?