PDA

View Full Version : Fun with spammers

CAlvarez
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Just got a spam in my work mailbox, with the spammer's phone number in it as a way to order the product.

Bwahahahahaha

I happen to have a few hours of testing to do on a VoIP phone system I'm installing. And I can modify the outbound caller ID to be anything I want. So far he's gotten calls from the FBI, his local police, himself... For some reason they all say "F*** you spammer" and hang up.

Useful, since I get tired of calling my own cell phone for testing.

ArcticStones
06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Brilliant! :D I guess we could call that high-tech Karma.

Caius
06-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Thats one way of wasting time testing a system to its full potential :)

ArcticStones
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I have this childish dream.

Imagine the office of a terribly obnoxious phone seller. Or better yet, his home.
Imagine video surveillance.
Imagine the phone ringing repeatedly. And stopping every time he reaches for it. What a wonderful way to fill his working day. Or his weekend off.

Aahhh.
The mere thought gives deep satisfaction. :D

slacker
06-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I usually save those numbers for when a web site has a mandatory phone number for no good reason (other than to sell).

slacker
06-14-2005, 04:51 PM
You know, that's the one good thing about switching to vonage. I used to get >10 sales calls a day on my caller id (some leave messages). Now I get 1 or 2 a year.

styrafome
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
I have this childish dream...
Imagine the phone ringing repeatedly. And stopping every time he reaches for it...

Did that to a friend in college when I could see across the street to his office from my building. :cool:

Better to do it your way, to spammers, though.

acme.mail.order
06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
On the old analog phone systems with indestructable speakers, carbon microphones and no limiters a hockey whistle blown into the mouthpiece apparently had an effect similar to a spike being driven into the listener's ear.

Ah, memories.......

CAlvarez
06-14-2005, 08:40 PM
System works great.

His voicemail is full.

ArcticStones
06-15-2005, 01:42 AM
My home office is linked to my bedroom by a staircase. A few years ago, we were repeatedly getting "spam" faxed at 3 or 4 am. Well, needless to say, I called the culprit company and demanded that they remove our number from their list. It continued. I called once again -- yet the terror continued.

My solution? Well, I called the National Business Register in Norway, where I live. They informed me who was the Chairman of the Board and main shareholder. I tracked down his home phone number (far few numbers are unlisted here).

Then I called him at 2 am on a Monday evening. I explained the problem and requested his help. He was irate! I calmly promised to call him again if the faxes did not cease.

I never again received a fax from that spamming company. :D

With best regards,
ArcticStones

voldenuit
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Great story, Arctic !

Carlos, next time you're checking out a no-screening VOIP-setup, how about a more elaborate scenario where it looks like the spammer is about to get his door kicked by the FBI ;) . You could even try to get him call back the agency to straighten things out, at which point the real trouble for him could start...
Read Mitnicks book for inspiration.

Note to whoever wants to do something similar:
Be careful not to identify yourself in cases where the spammerss are connected to organised crime. A couple of days ago, a guy who's running a personal website about an addressbook-scam in Germany with his full name and address reported severe personal harassment.

Courageux, mais pas téméraire...

CAlvarez
06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I was careful not to show the actuall caller ID on any of the calls. It's funny, the telco will let you send ANYTHING as the CID and pass it on.

Phil St. Romain
06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Sweet revenges! :) Good show!