PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G5 -> Powerbook M?

BazDM
06-14-2005, 02:11 AM
What are they going to call the next generation PowerBook when it comes out? The G5 copyright is owned by Apple, I suspect, but they will want to differentiate the chip in the Powerbook with that in current iMacs and Power Mac G5s.

Plus, they will want to drop all memory of IBM asap.

For the record: I ain't buying nothing called a PowerBook Pentium M. Powerbook M does sound quite cool though, but as the M stands for 'mobile', that is an inexcusable redundancy :rolleyes:

saint.duo
06-14-2005, 04:32 AM
mBook?

and this is to get this post to 10 characters

mclbruce
06-14-2005, 04:42 AM
1. It will be named the Powerbook Generation Intel, or Powerbook GI. There will be a special edition painted in desert cammo colors.
2. It will be called the Intelibook. They will need to find a new spokesman for this.
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/media/newsletters/news031031.html

Raven
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Enough with th nice suggestions... Lets just wait to see what the "special" mind of Steve Job and his team come up with... what ever we try to guess, we'll probably still be off as they'll want to "Be Different" :D

AHunter3
06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
PowerBook Pentium M Series.

aka PowerBook PMS

;)

styrafome
06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
The G(x) never really meant much, and Apple didn't change the name much when they switched CPUs from Motorola 680x0 to Motorola PowerPC to Freescale/IBM.

It will probably be called the PowerBook.

Craig R. Arko
06-14-2005, 10:34 AM
=> Coat Room

rgray
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
.................. want to "Be Different" :D

How different can they be using the same hardware as everyone else????

styrafome
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
They were already using the same hardware as everyone else. All the ports and buses (USB, Ethernet), drive interfaces (ATA, SATA), video interfaces (VGA, DVI)...

Apple will continue to be very different due to the OS. All they did was change the CPU. Think of it this way. You have two Intel boxes. One has viruses, spyware, and pop-up ads on the desktop, and the other one doesn't. That enough of a difference for ya? :D

mclbruce
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I agree with others that Apple will make up it's own name for the computer. It may not have anything to do with Intel.

How different can they be using the same hardware as everyone else???? The history on that, as others have mentioned, is the G3 chip. There were no G1 or G2 chips. Apple, Motorola, and IBM all called the chips PowerPC chips and used the appropriate model number for each chip: PowerPC 601, PowerPC 604e, etc. Then some guy at Apple showed up who wanted to make the chips sound more sexy. Apple came up with the G3 name and used it. It's Apple's name, they own it. The people who make the chips, IBM and Motorola/Freescale, never used the G3 through G5 names. They continue to call the chips PowerPC chips with the appropriate model number.

So Apple does have a history of ignoring what everybody else calls the CPU and making up their own name. They might do it again. I think that guy who started Apple using the G3 name is still around...

rgray
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM
You have two Intel boxes. One has viruses, spyware, and pop-up ads on the desktop, and the other one doesn't. That enough of a difference for ya? :D

As OSX becomes more ubiquitous, which is obviously the main goal here, what makes anyone think the "viruses, spyware, and pop-up ads" won't follow. Once the OSX market becomes a big enough target, it will be 'open season'.......

:mad:

snowjay
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I vote for PowerBook P4 or maybe PowerBook P5 if Intel progresses that far by then.