PDA

View Full Version : How/Why are Macs always in Movies and TV?

raydouble
06-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Every time I see a computer or laptop in a movie, TV show or commercial, it's a Mac. I'd say 9 out of 10 times it's a Mac.

Does Mac pay them? Maybe they just like Macs because they are a clean design? Sometimes they cover the logo, sometimes they don't. enlighten me.

AHunter3
06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
The creative folks who make movies and TV shows are Mac people :)

fat elvis
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
and Steve Jobs is a genius at marketing. this (http://www.brandchannel.com/start1.asp?fa_id=251) is something Apple has done for a while. There's an excerpt from the link below:

Brandcameo Lifetime Achievement Award for Product Placement: Apple

From its seminal 1984 mini-movie ad for the Mac (spoofing Orwell's 1984) Apple has been prevalent in our entertainment, if not in our actual lives.

As early as 1986, hits "Short Circuit" and "Star Trek IV" used Macs. Ten years later Apple appeared in three of the top five grossing films. By 1998 Apple computers were in more than 17 major films. Apple's sleek machines now appear in romantic films like "Something's Gotta Give" to slasher flicks like "Seed of Chucky," to comedies like "Dodgeball" to children's films like "Garfield."

styrafome
06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
There are many reasons. Sometimes it's because the show's creators are Mac-heads, sometimes Apple struck a deal, sometimes the show's designers need some computer props and they think that Mac props look cooler.

I remember watching Mutant:X where one side used Macs and the other side used Windows. But what I noticed was that the Macs were in the secret headquarters of the bad guys! :mad:

cobalt69
06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
i know what your talking about but i have seen quite a bit of dells too

Caius
06-11-2005, 09:17 AM
What really annoys me is where they show a mac and then show a windows desktop running on it.

Although I did see a couple of programs and/or adverts where it was a pc with an OS X Desktop!

CAlvarez
06-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Because Mac look good and photograph well.

Last night I was looking through one of my reef aquarium catalogs and there was my PowerBook. Probably owned by the person that did the catalog design. And few Wintel machines look as good.

snoware
06-11-2005, 07:06 PM
because they're cool.

I enjoy watching early Sienfeld reruns and looking for the Mac on the desk by the window. I'm sure I saw a 20th anniversary mac once or twice.

Another forum discusses Sienfeld macs

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=965

stetner
06-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Lot of companies do this. I used to work for a major telecommunications manufacturer, and they had 'placement' people employed to try to get movies/tv etc to use their phones.

It is called free advertising.

RacerX
06-12-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure it mainly has to do with acting ability and how well they get along with the director.

You have to figure that a Windows PC is going to need far more takes than a Mac to get the same scene shot, and require far more of a support staff.

And Macs have a better screen presents too. :D

cameranerd74
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Because Mac look good and photograph well.
As a veteran of 10 years in the photo industy, I will whole-heartedly agree. I shot of a lot of press work, and whenever we would use computers as props, we would almost always use Macs. The art directors think they look better... and besides, most designers, art directors, photographer, etc. are Mac junkies, so it's kinda like a big FU to M$.

Does anyone remember Office Space? The computers had a Classic Mac DE and a C prompt, but they looked like wintel boxes. Hmmmmm.

Photek
06-14-2005, 02:57 AM
You have to figure that a Windows PC is going to need far more takes than a Mac to get the same scene shot, and require far more of a support staff.

funniest thing I have heard yet in this forum!

fat elvis
06-14-2005, 09:55 AM
And Macs have a better screen presents too. :D

LOL, and not to kick you when you're down butttttt......it's "screen presence", not presents

cameranerd74
06-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Fat Elvis, I saw Godspeed You Black Emperor last year, my first Godspeed show... it rocked. What a show.

...and maybe he did mean presents... the gift of Mac OS X. ;)

RacerX
06-14-2005, 11:39 PM
LOL, and not to kick you when you're down butttttt......
When was I down? :eek:

:rolleyes:

Oh, and it is "but", not "butttttt".

Just FYI. :D

kayoteq
06-16-2005, 05:07 AM
Jeff Goldblum has his own personal Apple placement professional.

(Independence Day-Best plausible mod ever)

The movie 2010 got prototype Apple ][c's with the new LCD screen.. ooh. ahh.

Funnier too is when it's obviously an Apple but they put a 'pineapple' logo on it. :)

Douglas Adams integrated the Monk, Monk Plus, and Blackbird (Apple internal name) into his works. The Blackbird was the new prototype Hitchiker's Guide, so I bet a few Apple engineers were proud of that reference.. Ultimate product placement..

pantherman13
07-05-2005, 05:46 PM
[Does anyone remember Office Space? The computers had a Classic Mac DE and a C prompt, but they looked like wintel boxes. Hmmmmm.]

I was thinking about this today, and have been for quite some time. He some how "quits" the dektop and then it takes him to the command prompt. Whats the deal?

K3lso
07-05-2005, 07:14 PM
what about BLADE III... anybody watched it??? you can even see the itunes interface on an ibook... just before connecting the ipod.. and... they all have powermacs G5 in their lab.. I think i saw a powerbook too...

blubbernaut
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
What really annoys me is where they show a mac and then show a windows desktop running on it.

Although I did see a couple of programs and/or adverts where it was a pc with an OS X Desktop!

I've been in a post-production facility watching the guy adding a completely made up desktop to the screen in shot. Cool! They do this because filming screens both LCD and CRT brings a lot of issues such as glare, reflection, and refresh flicker that can really ruin a shot. As to why they make up their own OSes I think it might relate to copyright??