PDA

View Full Version : Data Loss - cant save data or apps prefs

CPYCGerry
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
About twice a week my system gets into a state where it can not access the drive. When I quit an app, it says that it can't save defaults or data. If I try to download a file, the browser (Safari or Firefox) says that it can not save the file. A reboot and everything is fine.

Software: Tiger 10.4.1 with all patches including today's security update (updated from 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3)

Hardware: Cube with the Powerlogix 1.35 GHz CPU (and fan), 1.5GB memory and a 120GB Maxtor HD

I suspected some cron or startup task. I have removed Norton 10, and Retrospect. There are no non-Apple startup items or cron items. The Activity Monitor shows nothing strange.

My Energy Saver is set for cpu=never, display=30, and never put the drive to sleep.
All Sharing disabled.

My only concern is the group on my home directory. Recently, I created a new user for testing something. It has "user:user" for owner and group. Yet my own home folder, the one that has followed me through all the OS X updates) has "name:staff". Could that be the problem?

hayne
06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Recently, I created a new user for testing something. It has "user:user" for owner and group. Yet my own home folder, the one that has followed me through all the OS X updates) has "name:staff". Could that be the problem?

No - that is normal. Since Panther, new users are created with their own group. In Jaguar and earlier, users were in group 'staff'.

You say you have removed Norton - make sure all parts of it are gone. Maybe check Activity Monitor to see what is running.

And run the "Console" application and look for relevant messages in the logs.

voldenuit
06-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Run applejack.sf.net and let it perform the whole list of what it can do.

As hayne suggested, make sure there are no stray leftovers; for kernel extensions use this command to check for non-apple stuff

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

CPYCGerry
06-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I ran the kextstat and all were com.apple. I also ran Applejack. I did find a loginwindow requesting a Norton file. But a file not found error should not be a problem. A review of the Activity Monitor shows nothing out of the ordinary.
Here is a listing from Cosole. Looks OK to me.
Mac OS X Version 10.4.1 (Build 8B15)
2005-06-09 12:41:16 -0700
Hello from SOX Schedule
2005-06-09 12:41:24.508 SystemUIServer[175] lang is:en
Version = 4.7
No features used - Quitting
2005-06-09 12:41:27.109 MagicMenuHotKeyDaemon[205] Started

However this from the system log looks troubling
Jun 9 12:40:25 Cube SystemStarter[274]: authentication service (288) did not complete successfully

I also see a lot of
bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[59]: exited abnormally: Hangup

If this doesn't work, it looks like time for a nuclear winter. [reformat and load a clean system].

CPYCGerry
06-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Still happening. I just started an erase and install. Here goes two days of restoring my 5 years of OSX apps.

hayne
06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
After you do your reinstall, avoid installing things like the "MagicMenuHotKeyDaemon" that is referred to in the logs you showed above - at least until you are sure the system is stable.