PDA

View Full Version : Will the switch to Intel processors cause the selling value of old IBM PPC macs to +?

maclova
06-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I was wondering, with Apple now deciding to use Intel processors for their macs from this point on, could this by chance have any influence and increase the selling value of the current IBM PPC macs once they are no longer for sale from Apple and their retailers? :cool:

AHunter3
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Most people are predicting the opposite: people who were thinking of buying a new Mac now thinking they'll wait for a MacTel box, sales of PPC models slumping, prices dropping as retailers do what they need to to move their PPCMac inventory, etc.

Probably a little of both, with the very top-end PPC models starting to command a cachet as the last of their type once they are no longer in production, but the slower models viewed more as just obsolete hardware.

maclova
06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
any chance of the PowerBook G4 12" getting a little jump in price because of this due to it possibly being seen as a collectors item or something? :p :D

maclova
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
:eek: I just had a chilling thought...once the Intel macs come out and replace the IBM PPC us IBM PPC mac users will be left out of the race unable to use anymore new mac programs or OS upgrades :eek:...gosh that's very scary, especially since I don't have anymore money for a new mac :eek: :(...maybe they'll create a special no cost student upgrade program...one can dream anyways...

miklb
06-08-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm stuck between a rock and hardplace regarding this, but I'm not too concerned. As it's been stated, Panther and Tiger are great OSes, and aside from the battery recall, powerbooks and ibooks are strong machines. So if I buy a new PB this fall, it still will probably be at least a year before you sell the Intel chip in an Apple portable. And everyone is being VERY trusting that this switch will be flawless. Personally, I'd rather have new PPC 15in PB and let Apple work any kinks out with the Intel chips, than try and squeeze another year out of this old ibook, and get a first generation Intel PB.

hayne
06-08-2005, 12:25 AM
us IBM PPC mac users will be left out of the race unable to use anymore new mac programs or OS upgrades
Not true - the plan is that all new OS X programs (and the OS) from 2006 onwards will be "Universal Binaries" that will contain versions that run on the PPC and on whatever Intel chips are in these future Macs.

mclbruce
06-08-2005, 01:37 AM
once the Intel macs come out and replace the IBM PPC us IBM PPC mac users will be left out of the race unable to use anymore new mac programs or OS upgrades I'm going to interpret this comment a little differently than hayne. Sooner or later every computer gets left out of the race. I tell people when they get a new computer to buy all of the software they need in the first two years. After that the new versions of software may not run real well on the now older computer.
With OS X we've been very fortunate that new versions of the OS have been kind to older machines. Still there are limits even now. You don't want to run Photoshop CS 2 on a G3 iMac or G3 iBook.

Apple is encouraging developers to continue to release software that runs on the PPC Macs after they are no longer being manufactured. But the software developers do not have to do so. It will cost them extra money to support the PPC machines If software manufacturers don't think that they can make more money supporting PPCs (by selling more software) they will stop doing so.

It comes down to economics. Will the next version of MS Office run on PPC? Of course. Will the one after that? Probably, but after that it gets murky. Same is true I think for Photoshop and other software.You'll probably have two major releases for PPC but after that it's hard to predict. If you buy the last PPC machine that Apple makes then you might only have one new major release of software before you are shut out.

hayne
06-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Sooner or later every computer gets left out of the race.
I agree.
I was responding to maclova's "once the Intel Macs come out" as meaning that the change (non-availability of new programs for PPC Macs) would happen immediately.

mclbruce
06-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I agree.
I was responding to maclova's "once the Intel Macs come out" as meaning that the change (non-availability of new programs for PPC Macs) would happen immediately. Yes, your answer wasn't much different than mine really. I'm just in a loquacious mood tonight.

CAlvarez
06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Um, did I read something wrong...? Isn't this supposed to happen in 2007? In other words, the next decade in computer years?

maclova
06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
hmm well I've heard other rumors that it may start as soon as next year....but who knows, we'll really know once it happens ;)...but on a side note since they'll be moving to intel processors does this mean I could buy a high-end but not as pricy Dell and put OS X on it? :p :D :cool: er hmm...guess it could technically work but now that I think about it drivers could become a issue since Apple probably won't make PC drivers for the OS, at least not for a while....shoot...:P lol

Phil St. Romain
06-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Um, did I read something wrong...? Isn't this supposed to happen in 2007? In other words, the next decade in computer years?

WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO—June 6, 2005—At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007.

from http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

maclova
06-08-2005, 07:52 PM
ah ha, I was right! :p :D lol (just playing around)

chabig
06-09-2005, 07:03 AM
does this mean I could buy a high-end but not as pricy Dell and put OS X on it?...
Apple has spoken and the answer is no.

MBHockey
06-09-2005, 07:50 AM
I like that, it's not like Apple is prostituting it's OS just because they are switching to x86 :)