PDA

View Full Version : the influence of Mr. Hancock

kungfumath
06-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I found this forum shortly after purchasing my first Mac (PowerBook G4 12") at Christmas 2003, and I can't say I have come across a better site for Apple info. One of my key interests, though has been the signatures that users have. I've seen some really creative ones. I started this thread just for people to be able to list any they've used in the past.

I recently changed mine from "Arithmetic incapabilities do not prevent rabbits from multiplying." It's my way of saying, "Stupid people still procreate."

Please if you list someone else's, give them their dues. Thanks.

hayne
06-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Just for your interest, here's the complete list of all the signatures I have seen in the past several months:
---------

---------
(end of list)

:)
(I have signatures turned off - I can't stand seeing the same thing over and over again - but I probably read more of the forum postings than most people, so more chance to get bored.)

bedouin
06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Signatures are one of the most abused features of electronic mail and messaging. The only people who really have a justified use for them are those in business, who need their contact information available at the end of each message. On forums they just become clutter, especially since the same person will tend to post in a single thread multiple times.

kungfumath
06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I didn't ask for your opinion on the usefulness of signatures, I just wanted to see some. If you have never had one, or dispise them, please keep to yourself or start a new thread about it. This one is intended for listing signatures only. Thank you for keeping a good attitude about this.

Caius
06-05-2005, 05:08 PM
My most common ones.

Sign?!? Why would I want to sign a webpage?!? -- Various

Apple Mac Users Think Different, pc users don't think -- Me.

NovaScotian
06-05-2005, 06:49 PM
I can't think where I saw this, but I like it:
I'm not sure which upsets me more: that some people are so unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate everyone else's.
and this one:
Some minds remain open long enough for a truth to both enter and leave without processing.

kungfumath
06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
i like those. anyone else?

ArcticStones
06-22-2005, 06:09 AM
I’m considering this one:

"The meaning of life is to find it."

CAlvarez
06-22-2005, 06:25 AM
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

ArcticStones
06-22-2005, 06:51 AM
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

Clearly, Mr Franklin discovered the meaning of life. ;)

lerkfish
06-22-2005, 08:06 AM
considering my REAL name is John Hancock, I thought this was an appreciation thread.

:)

one of my favorite sig line I used to use was:

Perception *IS* Reality

NovaScotian
06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
One of my cousins, in his 70's, surprised me with this one (from a Toby Keith song):

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm just as good once as I ever was"

macmath
06-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I usually don't have one, but I used this one for awhile:
I'm sure that someone must have said this sometime before, but I developed it independently while trying to get my students to come by for help. Too many times students who are doing poorly in a course quit coming or ignore the fact that they are not understanding some critical things. It is difficult to face your problems head-on and come by to discuss them with your teacher, but I tell them that they must do so. To run away from your problems is just to be hounded by them until you do face them. [The one-time pain of facing the problem directly is far less costly than the accumulated pain received while running from the problem.]

The same thing applies to choosing the courses you take to help prepare you for your future. If you've always had difficulty with foreign languages, take a course in that. If you've always had difficulty in physics or Mathematics, take a course in that. If one only takes courses in their favorite areas they will one day find themselves regretting it.

Anyway, I stopped using that signature because it began to bug me as a signature. I thought that it sounded like I was lecturing or confronting people all the time.

fat elvis
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I forgot were I saw it, maybe here...it was similar to:

The truth is banana peels aren't that slippery

kungfumath
06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
very insightful macmath. just out of curiousity, what do you teach, specifically? I graduated this past December with a BS in Math from U of N TX. I must say I agree with your assessment on running from that which confuses us.

I recently saw this on a T-shirt and was thinking of using it for my "leave a message" message on my cell phone:

"I've gone to find myself. If I return before I get back, keep me here."

As for the other signatures, I am enjoying reading them. Please keep them coming.

macmath
06-23-2005, 10:53 AM
very insightful macmath. just out of curiousity, what do you teach, specifically? I graduated this past December with a BS in Math from U of N TX. I must say I agree with your assessment on running from that which confuses us.
Thank you.
I have taught 22 different courses. At the freshman through junior level I teach about any mathematics course we have. At the senior and graduate level I teach Analysis courses [Advanced Calculus I & II, Integration Theory, Real Functions I & II (which is where Measure Theory shows up)].

Over time I have noted that more students know less about themselves. In particular, they do not know what they could really accomplish if someone were to put a gun to their head and say "Solve that equation." Succeeding is 95% attitude and 5% native talent, and so these students are missing an important ingredient that I have to convince them to develop. [If you think you can't do it, you probably won't be able to. If you think you can figure out about anything if you give it a shot, you probably will be able to.]

I recently saw this on a T-shirt and was thinking of using it for my "leave a message" message on my cell phone:

"I've gone to find myself. If I return before I get back, keep me here."

As for the other signatures, I am enjoying reading them. Please keep them coming.
That reminds me of my favorite answering machine message joke:
----------
Hello, you've reached Jim and Sonya. We can't pick up the phone right now, because we're doing something we really enjoy. Sonya likes doing it up and down, and I like doing it left to right.....real slowly. So leave a message, and when we're done brushing our teeth, we'll get back to you.

FireWired
06-24-2005, 12:49 AM
I forgot were I saw it, maybe here...it was similar to:

The truth is banana peels aren't that slippery

Me perhaps? :)

I've had it since day one here at macosxhints. (Well... week one at least)

I actually got it from The old Fortune Cookie game at Homestarrunner.com (http://www.homestarrunner.com/fortune.html).

Homestar Runner toons are probably the most popular (and well-made) Flash toons on the web. The guys who run it actually make a living off their site just from selling clothing and stuff with the characters on them. Be sure to look at just about everything on the site (http://www.homestarrunner.com/) (especially Strong Bad Emails) if you haven't been there.

Anyways, a Homestar Wiki site has a list of all the possible "fortunes" (http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Fortune_Cookies) -- they would all make good signatures!

fat elvis
06-24-2005, 02:51 AM
ĦĦĦTROGDOR!!!

I'm a big fan of StrongBad's emails too...I have the Strongbadia National Anthem and The Cheat Theme song on my iPod.