PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X vs a Linux distro, what is more stable or are they the same?

maclova
05-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Well me and a friend have been having a debate on whether or not MacOS X built off of BSD, a unix derivitive is more or less stable then a linux distro, he thinks it's less stable and I think the same if not more, what do you guys think?

fyrefiend
05-24-2005, 11:39 PM
In my experience, about equal. Both being Unix(like) systems the only things that can really take them down hard (kernel panic) are things running in kernal space, modules on Linux and extentions on MacOS X.
I've had a couple kernel panics on both systems but on both it was from loading a dodgy driver.

mclbruce
05-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Darwin, the core of OS X, is downloadable and installable on x86 hardware as well as Macs.

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

So just about anybody (with a lot of time on their hands) can take Darwin for a spin and do some performance/reliability testing.

cameranerd74
06-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I think the Mac OS X core (Darwin) is every bit as stable as Linux and BSD systems. The Finder is slightly less than stable though, where as KDE and Gnome are quite solid (yes I realized KDE and Gnome are different from the Finder, but it's the best comparison I could come up with). However, from what I understand, the Finder is more stable in 10.4 (I'm still running Panther).

obtix
06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I have been a Debian user for years... Still am. Every server I have is and most likely always will be same with ever PC. Compairing to my main desktop and my powerbook I really would have to say the Debian desktop is slightly more stable. Mac OS X seems to waste a lot of CPU cycles and doesn't release memory as well as my Linux machine. However, none of them have yet to crash I often find myself waiting to complete a task on my faster powerbook. HEH oh well.. I still love both

voldenuit
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I have been a Debian user for years... Still am. Every server I have is and most likely always will be same with ever PC. Compairing to my main desktop and my powerbook I really would have to say the Debian desktop is slightly more stable. Mac OS X seems to waste a lot of CPU cycles and doesn't release memory as well as my Linux machine. However, none of them have yet to crash I often find myself waiting to complete a task on my faster powerbook. HEH oh well.. I still love both
While the debate seems pretty pointless unless the OP gets back to us how one would measure "stability", I'd tend to concur that

For people who know their way around in Unix
to run a box permanently connected to the net offering services
it probably makes a lot more sense to take advantage of the numerous cheap root-server offers and run that PC with whatever Linux or BSD variant they are the most fond of.
Memory management does indeed stink in OS X and some real swap onto a filesystemless seperate partition would be a Good Thing.
Then again, when you look how long it took the Debian people to consider Sarge stale enough to declare it stable...

maclova
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
While the debate seems pretty pointless unless the OP gets back to us how one would measure "stability", I'd tend to concur that

For people who know their way around in Unix
to run a box permanently connected to the net offering services
it probably makes a lot more sense to take advantage of the numerous cheap root-server offers and run that PC with whatever Linux or BSD variant they are the most fond of.
Memory management does indeed stink in OS X and some real swap onto a filesystemless seperate partition would be a Good Thing.
Then again, when you look how long it took the Debian people to consider Sarge stale enough to declare it stable...
Stability as in how long the OS can stay running without a reboot and still be productive, security, basically all that defines stability for linux is what I was going for in this comparison