PDA

View Full Version : How restore photos from an erased SmartCard?

Norm Nager
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
How--if at all--can I recover photos that I erased from a SmartCard?

Are the photos still on the SmartCard medium if no photos have been taken since the card was erased?

Are there any applications that will work with OS 10.4.1 (or Panther, which I have on another hard drive volume) that can capture what has been erased?

Respectfully, Norm

fyrefiend
05-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Not that I know of.
The first thing you should do is use the terminal program 'dd' ('man dd' to see how to use it) to make a block perfect back-up of the card. That way you can work on a copy to try and recover the files.

mclbruce
05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Have you tried any of the photo rescue utilities? Here are two.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

http://www.mediarecover.com/software.html

A friend had good luck with the first one of these two, but his situation was not as dire as yours. Good luck!

Norm Nager
05-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks very much, mclbruce, for the recommendations of the two applications which I am just about to download and try, starting with
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

And if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try your second suggestion:
http://www.mediarecover.com/software.html

Respectfully, Norm

Norm Nager
05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
The first thing you should do is use the terminal program 'dd' ('man dd' to see how to use it) to make a block perfect back-up of the card. That way you can work on a copy to try and recover the files.Thanks very much. Your point about working on a copy makes a great deal of sense but after bringing up the man dd page, I discovered that the dd terminal program is way beyond my level of technical understanding.

Respectfully, Norm

Norm Nager
05-21-2005, 03:47 AM
mclbruce's recommendation to try photo rescue utilities such as
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ was promising, indeed!

The demo for the Photorescue Wizard was able to show the existence of each of the lost photos on the corrupted SmartCards. I will buy a license for Photorescue.

The urgency, however, is gone because I was able to use a workaround to locate the lost photos within the iPhoto library and then to make them accessible.

Question: Would a program like Photorescue that recovers photos from corrupted SmartMedia also make the corrupted SmartMedia cards usable again?

Respectfully, Norm

acme.mail.order
05-21-2005, 04:36 AM
Usually, reformatting the card in the camera clears up any corruption. (note that 'reformat' and 'erase all' are sometimes different functions) If it doesn't, go buy a new card.

CAlvarez
05-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Camera cards are formatted for FAT or FAT32 (needed for anything over 2GB, optional below that). The FAT file system "erases" a file by simply deleting the first letter of the filename. This is why file recovery is so simple with that file system.

A "corrupted" card is a crapshoot, but the most typical card corruption happens by pulling the card during a write. Usually this simply means that the FAT (File Allocation Table, an index pointer to the file locations) is damaged or doesn't reflect the actual file locations. There are two tables on a FAT disk, so usually one is recoverable, albeit at the loss of any new files that were not yet indexed.

Norm Nager
05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks so very much mclbruce, once again, for the recommendation of http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/. Every single picture on both corruped SmartMedia cards was rescued with sharpness and clarity one would expect from an un-corrupted SmartMedia card.

I also very much appreciate the recent posts by Carlos Alvarez and acme.mail.order.

One of the two corrupted cards now comes through as very dependable when I test-shot some photos and loaded them without any problem from both the SmartCard reader and directly via USB connection to the camera. The other card will record photos that can be seen on the samera but that only can be loaded into iPhoto through the camera, not the reader.

The PhotoRescue Wizard was really easy to use and quite effective.

Respectfully, Norm

voldenuit
05-22-2005, 03:46 PM
It is possible that there are contact problems with the unreliable card.

If you can get hold of it, buy a can of contact cleaner such as "K60" (Kontaktchemie) or equivalent.

Put some on the contacts of the card, then insert and withdraw a couple of times from the reader.

The amount of weird problems that can be fixed that way is pretty amazing.

Norm Nager
05-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks very much, Voldenuit.
If you can get hold of it, buy a can of contact cleaner such as "K60" (Kontaktchemie) or equivalent.
1. What kind of store would sell such a product: camera? electronics? and how would I make clear what I mean by "contact cleaner"? (I only got one hit on Google for Kontaktchemie K60 in Europe or the Near East. But with the exception of some brand names, which were in English, the webpage was in unfamiliar characters.) Put some on the contacts of the card, then insert and withdraw a couple of times from the reader.The amount of weird problems that can be fixed that way is pretty amazing.
2. Sounds promising. In addition to use on SmartCard contacts, what other applications does K60 have?

Respectfully, Norm

caitoxose
11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I have just spent over a week trying to recover some pics erased by accident from a friend's ibook's drive connected to my powerbook as 'slave' via a firewire connection. Oddly enough the demo will recognize the ibook but the registered version will not.

I contacted 'customer services' (read the program writer with a serious attitude problem!) who suggested to rescue the files with the demo, save the image produced and then open it wit the registered version. Which I did. Only to end up with a 43.5 Gig file of anything on the drive with an image on it EXCEPT THE DELETED PHOTOS. And after multiple emails back and forth the above 'customer services' (long time since I have been so insulted) I have decided to give up and try alternative programs, so if you were thinking of using Photorescue for Mac OS, one word: DON'T! You will regret it.