PDA

View Full Version : No confidence in Longshot?

cwtnospam
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
XP is full of security holes, Longshot is over a year away and losing features and now this...
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7787642/
It's looking more and more like the future belongs to Non-Microsoft OSes. :D

Phil St. Romain
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Whoa! That's pretty significant, for sure.

mclbruce
05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
The article says that the investment company is handling 10 billion of Mr. Dell's money. So the 100 mil going to Red Hat is only one percent of his portfolio. Still it's interesting.

FireWired
05-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Headlines of today:

Windows Vs. Mac OS

Headlines of tomorrow:

Linux Vs. Mac OS

:D

CAlvarez
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
"I think this company is going to make money" has to be stretched pretty thin to equate it to "Their competitor sucks," don't you think?

cwtnospam
05-11-2005, 09:15 AM
"I think this company is going to make money" has to be stretched pretty thin to equate it to "Their competitor sucks," don't you think?
I don't think that's what it means. It's more "I think I need a credible alternative to this monopoly I'm dealing with."

CAlvarez
05-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Of course you would assume that. You'll jump on anything that's anti-Windows. Yet there is no evidence in the article that can logically lead to any reasoning other than simple investment.

I own Apple stock because I think it will make money.
I sell, install, and support MS products, because I make money doing it.

I own Cisco stock because I think it will make money.
I sell, install, and support VoIP, switches, and wifi products from their competitors, including open source VoIP on Linux, because I make money at it.

I own Sirrius stock because I think it will make money.
I have XM radio in the car because they have better hardware.

Investments are rarely religious statements. If he really was making a statement or assuring the success of an "alternative," his investment would have to be far more significant.

fat elvis
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree...I see them offering to ship systems with Linux installed as a bigger statement than this. 1% isn't much of a portfolio.

CAlvarez
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Exactly. Dell lost a lot of my clients' business because they won't ship a machine without a Windows license. Since XP has been around for five years, there are lots of machines being replaced that still have a valid XP license. Why should they have to pay for it again?? HP will ship a system with free Linux, which we wipe out and install XP onto, legally transferring the license from the scrapped system.

cwtnospam
05-11-2005, 12:16 PM
You'll jump on anything that's anti-Windows. Yes, I will. :D I don't see any benefit to me or any other computer user by keeping that monopoly in place.

The evidence is that a guy who makes gobs of money selling systems that run Windows is investing in a competitor to Windows. While a hundred million dollars is small potatoes to him, the cash it provides for Linux development is not. It also adds credibility to Linux which will certainly draw in more investors and make it more attractive to potential buyers. That is worth far more than the hundred million.

No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is that it makes Microsoft's monopoly less secure, and that can only be a good thing.

mclbruce
05-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, I will. :D I don't see any benefit to me or any other computer user by keeping that monopoly in place. ---
No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is that it makes Microsoft's monopoly less secure, and that can only be a good thing. Depends on what replaces Microsoft's monopoly. I think some sort of monopoly is almost inevitable the way the rules of business are set up in the US. The history of transportation in the US is one group controlling one industry replacing another group controlling another industry: clipper ships, railroads, cars (oil). Microsoft took the place of IBM, which dominated the computer industry. I don't think that the monopoly/trust/cartel/gentleman's agreement that replaces Microsoft will be a big improvement.

CAlvarez
05-11-2005, 12:44 PM
It's easy to argue that Redhat is developing a monopoly on Linux, at least for corporate users.

cwtnospam
05-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't think that the monopoly/trust/cartel/gentleman's agreement that replaces Microsoft will be a big improvement.
Not by the time the replacement is complete, but the transitional period could be a good one, and a long one. That should be government's role, keeping us in a transitional period. Isn't that what anti-trust laws are for? Now if we could only get them enforced.

CAlvarez
05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh yes, government intervention always makes it better.

cwtnospam
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Oh yes, government intervention always makes it better.
Than allowing big business to run amok? Yes, absolutely. Imagine how much better it would have been if the government had intervened earlier with Enron, or worse, what if it hadn't intervened at all?

cwtnospam
05-18-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree...I see them offering to ship systems with Linux installed as a bigger statement than this. 1% isn't much of a portfolio.
Looks like they're doing just that for at least one customer:

http://news.com.com/Canadian+university+buys+Dell+supercomputer/2110-1010_3-5711973.html

teksno
05-19-2005, 06:20 PM
simply put....TAX BREAK!!!

cwtnospam
05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
simply put....TAX BREAK!!!
Huh? How do you get a tax break for not using Windows? I'd love to know, since everytime I get a computer I don't use it. :D