PDA

View Full Version : Apple taking their fan sites to court

tlarkin
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
I find this kind of asinine. I mean this kid is obviously a huge apple fan, and now his website is getting sued by apple.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505326

voldenuit
05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Published on Wednesday, January 12, 2005
Thanks for the fresh news !
Did you read the thread about the Jobs bio where a conspirations theory has it Apple is trying to impress the majors for an itunes-video-store to come ?

CAlvarez
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I hear that Apple is going to introduce a sub-$500 computer without any accessories, and that it will be really small.

hayne
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
I heard that Apple is thinking of getting into the music business somehow.

nekogami13
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Has anyone heard about this new OS there suppose to be releasing?

I hear it is suppose to have 1 or 2 new things in it.

tlarkin
05-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Hayne-

Actually, if you didn't know, apple bought out a german audio engineering software dev company a few years ago called emagic. They are the makers of logic audio. It was rumored that Apple was going to get into the music buisness, as in start their own record label. So, they may actually still go that route, and with the recent OS changes and how it works with audio devices says that apple is definately not forgetting the possibility of that.

dappy
05-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Apple can't start a recording studio. Well I mean they can, but it won't be apple records....Beatles anyone? I read somewhere about some speculation about a battle between Apple Computers and Apple Records because Apple Computer is now such a big player in the music biz.

tlarkin
05-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Yes, I know what you are talking about dappy. However, they don't need to be called apple records, they could be called iRecords, or iStudio for all I know.

fat elvis
05-03-2005, 10:25 AM
LOL, nothing more fun to watch than a man trying to save some cyber-face

we need a smilie that's diggin a hole ;)

tlarkin
05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the fresh news !
Did you read the thread about the Jobs bio where a conspirations theory has it Apple is trying to impress the majors for an itunes-video-store to come ?

Oh you want a more updated one?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/technology/0503/12/tech-113014.htm

Its in its hearing phase now. Apparently there are top secret things being leaked at apple, and its obviously the websites faults for publishing them :rolleyes:

Caius
05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
I hear theres a new computer company out. Started by a coupla guys in a garage I think I heard. Maybe we should keep our eye on it ;)

hayne
05-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Apparently there are top secret things being leaked at apple, and its obviously the websites faults for publishing them

Okay, since you seem to insist on pulling this thread back onto its original topic:
Apple is not suing the web sites for publishing anything - they are merely trying to force the web sites to reveal their sources - i.e. the people who (apparently) violated their confidentiality agreements with Apple.
You really need to catch up on your reading if you want to discuss this issue. It has been extensively discussed over the past few months on various blogs and other more high-profile sites, e.g. SlashDot.

Phil St. Romain
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
OK guys, I'm lost - - feeling like I'm missing the punch line of a joke everyone knows. Someone clue me in, please. Is it that the Apple lawsuit is old news? A spoof? I don't read all these various Apple forums to keep up with the grapevine.

Clueless in Wichita. :rolleyes:

tlarkin
05-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Assuming that wasn't a sarcastic remark phil, its because its old news I guess. I didn't really follow it either till a week or so ago when it was actually heard by a judge.

Personally, I think apple is retarded for doing this, its just some stupid law suit to tie up our courts with something that is really not all that important IMO.

Craig R. Arko
05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Is it that the Apple lawsuit is old news? :rolleyes:

This is the ThinkSecret suit.

fat elvis
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Nick (owner/operator of ThinkSecret) got his arse saved by Terry Gross (not of NPR fame). Terry was one the first legal counsel for the Elecrtonic Frontier Foundation (EFF). He picked up the case gratis when he heard news of Nick's situation. Unable to afford a lawyer he would have been squashed by Apple. The whole story dropped off the radar shortly after that.

I thought the rehashing of the story was rather humerous. For a second I thought I was on slashdot.

fat elvis
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
here's an update to a more recent Apple lawsuit. This one is the TigerDirect v Apple: http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050502.gttigermay2/BNStory/Technology/

Phil St. Romain
05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
No sarcasm intended, tlarkin. I wasn't aware of this situation and am not much impressed by Apple's actions, here. But, then, my guess is that none of us really know all the facts of the case. If Apple is only "making an example" of someone, however, then even that can sometimes be justified. It would make the next guy think twice before doing something similar.

maclova
05-24-2005, 10:38 AM
I find this kind of asinine. I mean this kid is obviously a huge apple fan, and now his website is getting sued by apple.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505326
wow I really find this sad :(, they should've given this guy a break, he wasn't really releasing the information all that much in advance afterall :(