PDA

View Full Version : Tiger: Firefox loses preferences, bookmarks, Adblock

Norm Nager
05-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Firefox worked fine when launched from OS 10.4 for several hours today after exporting bookmarks to it with Safari Bookmark Exporter, setting new preferences, doing an on-line Mozilla installation of Adblock, and importing in my text file of previously set Adblock filters.

Tonight, when I launched Firefox, it was stripped of my bookmarks, preferences, the Adblock tool, and the Adblock filters.

Tiger was erase-and-clean installed on an empty partition. I did not use Tiger's setup assistant.

Firefox remains on an OS-free volume of non-Apple Inc. applications. OS 10.3.9 had no such problems working with Firefox.

And it did work flawlessly for several hours with Tiger before losing all the modifications.

I got some strange dialogue prompts for a yes-no response on changing an application the dialogue did not name. The last dialogue of the series had "null" on it.

Could this have been Mozilla's nightly updates at work? (I may have checked something on updates when I did an on-line installation of Adblock at the Mozilla website.)

The 2vwls35i.default sub-folder in the Library/Application Support/Firefox folder contains a bewildering collection of 43 files sequentially named bookmarks-1.html through bookmarks-43.html plus bookmarks.bak and
bookmarks.html And vwls35i.default also contains 23 more files and subfolders.

A search turned up a number of invisible Adblock files but Adblock no longer shows in the Firefox Tools pulldown menu.

:confused:

Suggestions, please?

Respectfully, Norm

voldenuit
05-01-2005, 04:43 AM
It looks a lot more like FireFox breakage than a Tiger problem.

I'm with Safari, so I have no practical experience to offer.
Unless fellow hinters come up with a fast solution, having a look around at mozilla.org might be useful to track down these issues, filing bugs as needed in the process...

nmerriam
05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I got some strange dialogue prompts for a yes-no response on changing an application the dialogue did not name. The last dialogue of the series had "null" on it.
Could this have been Mozilla's nightly updates at work? (I may have checked something on updates when I did an on-line installation of Adblock at the Mozilla website.)

The 2vwls35i.default sub-folder in the Library/Application Support/Firefox folder contains a bewildering collection of 43 files sequentially named bookmarks-1.html through bookmarks-43.html plus bookmarks.bak and
bookmarks.html And vwls35i.default also contains 23 more files and subfolders.

For what its worth, Firefox doesn't have any kind of nightly update thing -- nothing would change without your permission.

All i can guess is that something got corrupted in your old Firefox profile, so it built you a new one. Possibly a screwed up extension, or something funny about the Safari export making a bad bookmarks file? Either way, i think your best bet is to reinstall Firefox from scratch. There's certainly nothing inherently problematic about it and Tiger.

Norm Nager
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
For what its worth, Firefox doesn't have any kind of nightly update thing -- nothing would change without your permission.

All i can guess is that something got corrupted in your old Firefox profile, so it built you a new one. Possibly a screwed up extension, or something funny about the Safari export making a bad bookmarks file? Either way, i think your best bet is to reinstall Firefox from scratch. There's certainly nothing inherently problematic about it and Tiger.
Thanks very much, nmerriam, I just removed every last vestige of Firewall. Will Firewall import bookmarks directly from Safari? Or can one manually move the Safari html bookmarks file to a Firefire folder?

Respectfully, Norm

nmerriam
05-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Firefox can't import directly from safari, but I know there are a number of utilities that will save safari's bookmarks as a plain html file, and you can easily import that into firefox. It's a good opportunity to clean things up :)

I suspect you just hit a gremlin and probably won't ever see something like what happened again. Just be sure to search in Finder for "firefox" and delete every last trace of it before you download the current version.

A good list for adblock is avilable at http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/ -- updated periodically and it is pretty narrowly tailored so it doesn't take much horsepower to process and doesn't block other things by accident. Of course there are MUCH more comprehensive lists available!

Norm Nager
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks, again. So far (even past a re-start) the Tiger and (Fire)fox have been playing nice, including with Adblock and the filters I created and imported. I use Firefox for .ftp and as a check when Safari runs into a slow or problem website. Great to have Firefox back again.

Respectfully, Norm