PDA

View Full Version : iCon - A simple question of image control?

ArcticStones
04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Mr Steve Jobs is apparantly unpleased with a biography that tells the story of his rise and fall, and triumphant return and renewed success. I am thinking of course of the book "iCon – Steve Jobs, The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business", written by Jeffrey S. Young and William L. Simon. A top executive’s displeasure with unwanted exposure is fair enough.

What astonishes me is to read that Apple has retaliated against the publisher, John Wiley & Sons. Apparently every single book published by Wiley has been pulled from the shelves of Apple Stores. If this is true, it means that classics such as David Pogue’s "Macs for Dummies" and Andy Iknatho’s "The Mac OSX Panther Book" are no longer available. At least not courtesy of Apple.

Astonishing? Definitely! Not primarily because this is a horribly diproportionate reaction. No -- in my opinion it is ill-advised because it will necessarily be counter-productive.

I am a great admirer of Steve Jobs, and he has done amazing things since his return to the Apple helm! As a user, I am grateful for his products many times each day. But this time I am convinced that he is shooting himself in the foot. (If the story is true; but I have yet to catch the fine San Jose Mercury News in journalistic error.)

Other opinions?

Best regards,
ArcticStones

Check out the story:
San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/11491026.htm)

ArcticStones
04-26-2005, 11:24 PM
The New York Times has now also reported the story.
Anyone close to the Company know what is going on here?

Their story:
New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/technology/27apple.html?)

fat elvis
04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Jobs is an ego maniac...I've worked for one of his companies before and while his business sense it vast, it's no where near the size of his head.

mclbruce
04-27-2005, 03:33 PM
This current move is surprising to me but somewhat consistent with past behavior.

Remember how Apple started using NVIDIA graphics cards and chips? ATI had a new Mac graphics card scheduled to be presented at the same time as Apple's Cube. An ATI press release for the card mentioned Cube compatibility a day or two before Jobs went onstage to announce it. For spoiling the surprise ATI was dumped from the presentation that day and the next new Power Mac model featured an NVIDIA graphics card for the first time in any Mac. The next major revision of the iMac also featured NVIDIA graphics chips.

ArcticStones
04-27-2005, 03:41 PM
For spoiling the surprise ATI was dumped…

Wow!
But doesn’t a CEO of Jobs’ caliber have voices of reason nearby who have the courage to say "nay"? Surely someone in his inner circle has the common sense to say "you are not well served by this decision, nor is Apple"!

I’m flabbergasted.

ArcticStones
04-30-2005, 06:42 PM
There are many ways to write a book review to make sure that the book in question receives extra attention and becomes a best seller. Steve Jobs has added his own flair to that list, however unintentionally.

The reliable New York Times has the details. (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/30/technology/30apple.html?)

Do I think Mr Jobs’ ill-advised panic act will help sell the book? Definitely! The publisher John Wiley & Sons has already doubled the press run for the first edition.

Do I think this will impact on how we view Steve Jobs? Not a chance, not by one iota. He will be judged on different merits entirely. He’s still building his legacy, not tearing it down.

voldenuit
04-30-2005, 07:17 PM
...and if all this was just a big conspiration to sell more books :cool: ?

On a more serious note, while it may be hard to see stuff published about your own life you'd rather not see out there, reacting like the turtleneckedone did will only give the book free extra press coverage they'd never have been able to get on the sole merit of the book.

"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid", it would have been a lot wiser to pull the plug on Wiley in AppleStores a couple of weeks after the launch. The message would get through, but without the promotional effect.

An all-over Bad Move:

It looks anal-retentive and does the exact opposite of what was intended.

mclbruce
04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Writer Robert Cringely has another opinion on this:

"I think this episode with Wiley and Apple's earlier legal attacks on people who it accused of leaking product information are part of a campaign to look tough to movie studios and record companies. As I've surmised before, Apple is trying to put together a high definition movie download service that requires content from all the major movie studios. If Steve looks soft on IP theft or unwilling to flex his corporate legal muscles, the studios may think he won't adequately protect their corporate jewels."

"And that's all it is. Steve couldn't care less about this book."

Here the full column, with the quoted comment towards the bottom.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050428.html

ArcticStones
05-01-2005, 02:43 AM
"I think this episode <is> ...part of a campaign to look tough to movie studios and record companies. ...Apple is trying to put together a high definition movie download service that requires content from all the major movie studios. If Steve looks soft on IP theft or unwilling to flex his corporate legal muscles, the studios may think he won't adequately protect their corporate jewels."http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050428.html

That is a very fascinating angle. It is obvious that Apple is on a roll. With the world’s dominant legal music download service in place, a near monopoly on quality MP3 (and AAC) players, I have been eagerly awaiting Apple’s next move.

A movie download service makes perfect sense.

However, I don’t entirely buy the sentiment that pulling the books is all posturing from Steve Jobs. But other than that, what you write makes interesting sense.

With best regards,
ArcticStones

Voldenuit, here is a quote for you:
"Why is everyone out to get me, just because I’m paranoid?" :D

ArcticStones
05-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Writer Robert Cringely has another opinion on this:

Here the full column, with the quoted comment towards the bottom.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050428.html

I read a few of the other articles from you column.
Very excellent food for thought! I just wanted to say thanks.

:)

voldenuit
05-01-2005, 05:05 AM
As I've surmised before, Apple is trying to put together a high definition movie download service that requires content from all the major movie studios. If Steve looks soft on IP theft or unwilling to flex his corporate legal muscles, the studios may think he won't adequately protect their corporate jewels." That is indeed an interesting angle.
While in both cases, the moves don't seem alien to the corporate culture, it might have added to the hardliner attitude.
Hopefully the deal is going to be closed soon.
And let's hope todays SJ has not forgotten the "Saying from Chairman Jobs" from more than twenty years ago:

It's better to be a pirate than join the navy.source (http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Pirate_Flag.txt&topic=Apple%20Spirit&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium)

The earlier part of the Cringely comment about jet-sharing, flying a plane using a Microsoft-made OS sounds like the "blue screen of Death" may become a sad reality rather than just a scary name for a kernel panic.