PDA

View Full Version : Applications "broken" by Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Phil St. Romain
04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Getting ready . . .

Please use this thread to note applications that don't work or else have lost functionality. For extensive troubleshooting of an application, start a new thread in this forum.

saint.duo
04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
ARD 2.1 (admin application) does not launch. Looking at the crash log, it seems that it wants the Installation framework, which isn't in 10.4.

I tried copying the Installation framework from panther and moving it to tiger, which allowed ARD to launch, but it would then crash when trying to actually use it.

Here's hoping we see an update this weekend!

hayne
04-26-2005, 08:24 PM
ARD 2.1 (admin application) does not launch.
There is supposed to be a release of version 2.2 very soon:
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504briefly2.html

AHunter3
04-26-2005, 08:45 PM
DefaultFolder says their product breaks under Tiger unless you upgrade (for free) to version 2.0, which they just released.

yellow
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
All of Cisco's VPN clients are broken by Tiger. They expect a Tiger compatible version of VPN client in mid-may.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790386,00.asp

pigmode
04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
PhotoGridX?

voldenuit
04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
USBOverdrive

New version available at

usboverdrive.com

And the ARD 2.2 update is now up for download, also available via software update.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/appleremotedesktopupdate22.html

fyrefiend
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
XMenu 1.5
doesn't work right. If you try to select anything from the menu you get with Command-Click nothing happens.

Epson Scan
Nevermind on Epson Scan. The second time I launched it it worked fine

yellow
04-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I don't think Disk Warrior 3.0.2 is functioning correctly when applied against a Tiger install.

I had some troubles with a Tiger install's symlinked directories showing up in the Finder. I decided to give DW a shot from a Panther install. Booted into Panther and get an error to the effect of "directory is too damaged to continue" when applied against both Tiger installs. No, I did not reformat for case-sensitivity.

voldenuit
04-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Alsoft has announced a free DiskWarrior 3.0.3 update to be released real soon now.

sumodude
04-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm sure this is not normal of course - but my mail app - which uses an IMAP account, just won't load. It loads fine in thunderbird of course, but even though I've re-installed the mail app from the Tiger CD, it just hangs & I have to kill it.

Searched, but not found anyone else with this problem yet - just lucky me!

Sumodude.

sumodude
04-30-2005, 10:00 AM
if you use PGP 8 desktop, I suggest you think long & hard before trying out Tiger. Right now any encrypted volumes you have will not work with Tiger. What's more they don't have a patch. What's even worse, is that you'll have to buy version 9 - which kind of works under Tiger - but not officially, so tough. Oh & did I mention that PGP 9 is still in Beta, so it's still buggy, and just to really rub the salt in to the wound, when I tried to register for my 30 days trial, it took me to a web page with gleefully informed me to come back on May 9th.

Fortunately, you can run it outside of trial mode - which is restricted, but enabled me read only access to my encrypted volume. I didn't want to use my backup particularly to restore - because, well, well because I had backed up the encrypted volume! At least this way I could pull my data off unencrypted.

Thanks a bunch - PGP guys, way to go.

yellow
04-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Little Snitch versions pervious to 1.2 aren't supposed to work. But the folks at Objective Development have released a new version, 1.2 (beta 3) that is Tiger compatible.

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/

voldenuit
04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
--> sumodude, pgp concerns

At least unless you have cryptographical doubts on the resistance of AES (this will probably be no concern unless you have those "we'd have to kill you if you found out"-kind of secrets...), the on-board encrypion-options that come with the OS should be able to provide useful solutions for encrypted volumes.

amavida
04-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Regarding synching of Palm Zire 31 to MacOS 10.4 :

If you try to install palm conduit 1.2 in Tiger it raises an error message that "Palm Conduit 1.2 cannot be installed on iSynch 2.0"

Solution :
Install MacOS 10.3, install the palm conduit on iSynch 1.5, upgrade to MacOS 10.4

It continues to work ok afterward. hmmmmm....

amavida

Irene
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Type Recorder by Rampell Software causes a Kernal Panic when you try to restart under Tiger.

I deleted the program and now I can restart just fine. I've notified Rampall Software of the problem and hope they will soon produce a Tiger compliant version.

amavida
05-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Regarding synching of Palm Zire 31 to MacOS 10.4 :

If you try to install palm conduit 1.2 in Tiger it raises an error message that "Palm Conduit 1.2 cannot be installed on iSynch 2.0"

Solution :
Install MacOS 10.3, install the palm conduit on iSynch 1.5, upgrade to MacOS 10.4

It continues to work ok afterward. hmmmmm....

amavida

oop's... just looked on the iSync conduit 1.2 page here :
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/isyncpalmconduit.html
and noticed in samll writing under "requirements"

"Note: You do not need to download this software if you have iSync 2 or later"

but what i did have to do was open missingsync.app (a third part util) & tick a check box to enable the conduit... sigh

mea culpa...
Amavida

obtix
05-01-2005, 03:30 AM
HEH, the PGP guys sold out bad! I've switched to GNU PGP today after using PGP 9 Desktop for a few hours, 9 had so many issues one of which was self-signing did not exist (at least not in a way other applications requiring it could see).

if you use PGP 8 desktop, I suggest you think long & hard before trying out Tiger. Right now any encrypted volumes you have will not work with Tiger. What's more they don't have a patch. What's even worse, is that you'll have to buy version 9 - which kind of works under Tiger - but not officially, so tough. Oh & did I mention that PGP 9 is still in Beta, so it's still buggy, and just to really rub the salt in to the wound, when I tried to register for my 30 days trial, it took me to a web page with gleefully informed me to come back on May 9th.

Fortunately, you can run it outside of trial mode - which is restricted, but enabled me read only access to my encrypted volume. I didn't want to use my backup particularly to restore - because, well, well because I had backed up the encrypted volume! At least this way I could pull my data off unencrypted.

Thanks a bunch - PGP guys, way to go.

macosxphile
05-01-2005, 05:51 AM
Here is another good list-in-progress of apps that break, or require a workaround in Tiger:

http://www.macintouch.com/tigerreview/incompatibility.html

And here is a list of apps that have updates for Tiger:

http://www.macintouch.com/tigercompat.html

bramley
05-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Posters on this (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=38600) thread were having problems with cocoaASpell and SIMBL. Their problems went away when they turned off the apps/services.

PS My tiger still in a cage somewhere - and tomorrow's a holiday. Ohhhh! NOOOOOOO!

KRaven0825
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
BitTorrent....I had the old one, crashed on launch, downloaded the new one which lauches but after a short while i get the beachball....Anyone else having this issue?

schwartze
05-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Windows Media Player. (Yeah - VLC and Mplayer don't always play .wmv files) Runs once, then opens and quits.

I saw in a link above that it's only been reported on the Powerbook. Too bad for me that's what I have it running on.

pal
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
My upper partitions no longer mount in Tiger. Tried reinstalling the driver but it didn't help. Any partitions over the 128 gig barrier fail to mount on my G4-450DP. This extension worked fine for me in 10.3 (Panther).

Anyone else see this or is it just me? Lucky that I still have a Panther partition to boot from as I have over 100 gigs above the 128 barrier.

saint.duo
05-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Yep. It downloads, but also beachballs (the interface only, apparently). Tomato torrent still works, so I'm using that for now.

BitTorrent....I had the old one, crashed on launch, downloaded the new one which lauches but after a short while i get the beachball....Anyone else having this issue?

bedouin
05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Pan (a GNOME newsreader) cannot be built with Darwinports 1.0 in Tiger. It is able to build all of the dependencies then dies when it gets to pan.

Norm Nager
05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
RCDefaultApp 1.2.1, according to an email from its developer, has a few problems, such as with MIME, but after I heard from him, I installed it in Library/Preference Panes and it works for all of my purposes.

Respectfully, Norm

Norm Nager
05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
One of the applications I was certain would require me to boot from Panther was TurboTax. Because estimated taxes are due again in June, I thought I should test TurboTax with Tiger well in advance so I'd know whether I needed to boot from Panther instead of Tiger.

Surprise! TurboTax Premier 2004 worked like a charm with Tiger.

I know: this thread is for broken apps, but I was so sure that TurboTax 2004 wouldn't, I thought I'd report the unexpected compatibility here.

Respectfully, Norm

mkoreiwo
05-02-2005, 06:27 AM
LaCie's Silverkeeper backup software...... Not compatible....

Hope there is a patch soon!

Caius
05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Speedtouch USB Modem drivers install but don't show up in network preferences. They seems to be totally broken.

voldenuit
05-02-2005, 10:26 AM
USB-DSL-modems live as long as the manufacturer is willing to update the drivers.
DSL-modems with an Ethernet interface won't stop working anytime soon now.

CAlvarez
05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
SilverKeeper works for me, except for the scheduled backup. Is that what you're having problems with?

Same with WMP; it plays fine on my 17" PB. Maybe there is a firmware or rev level issue there? Mine is one of the most recent models.

schneb
05-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Transmit 2 has trouble with its edit window for favorites. It still works if you leave the favorites alone. I upgraded to Transmit 3 for $17 and all seems to work fine now.

KRaven0825
05-02-2005, 02:23 PM
OSXvnx.app is now giving me trouble, It launced once last night correctly. Now nada, it bounces happily in it's dock and gives me the trianlge signaling it's open and running, which it is, sorta, there is a process for OSX Server, so the server service runs, but the gui part runs and hides....i tried launching it from the command line to see what I got, and it gave me the following

"DevilMayCryForme:/Applications Chris$ open OSXvnc.app/
open[10492]: ShapeShifter APE error: "ShapeShifter could not initialize" in file
"/Users/smeger/Documents/src/ShapeShifter/Sources/APE/main.cpp", line 140
open[10492]: ShapeShifter was unable to load successfully. "

Now a few things bother me about this.

1. I don't have a /Users/smeger directory so where it is getting that info I have no idea.

2. Why OSXvnc.app has anything to do with Shapeshifter again I have no idea...

Sigh, So i removed ShapeShifter (or tried my best since it buries itself in so many little folders it is like a cockroach, I know it'll show up again somewhere down the road.) Waved bye bye to my colorful theme I had installedm, rebooted, and find that I no longer that error from the command line.

So OSXvnc.app sorta works, but I don't like not having the GUI, and without the GUI I also don't have my VNC session password protected, and that really really bothers me.

So after my long winded explanation, any ideas?

Sigh Tiger, so beautiful, yet so many headaches.....

hayne
05-02-2005, 03:27 PM
1. I don't have a /Users/smeger directory so where it is getting that info I have no idea.

2. Why OSXvnc.app has anything to do with Shapeshifter again I have no idea

1) What is your username? It's not 'smeger' ?

2) The trouble with Unsanity's APE (used by ShapeShifter) is that it infiltrates itself into everything. That is also its strength. I note that Apple tells you to remove 3rd-party system "enhancements" before installing Tiger. But I believe you can also configure APE and/or ShapeShifter to avoid it affecting specified apps - check the preference panel.

KRaven0825
05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
1) What is your username? It's not 'smeger' ?

2) The trouble with Unsanity's APE (used by ShapeShifter) is that it infiltrates itself into everything. That is also its strength. I note that Apple tells you to remove 3rd-party system "enhancements" before installing Tiger. But I believe you can also configure APE and/or ShapeShifter to avoid it affecting specified apps - check the preference panel.

-----
My username is Chris, I don't have, nor have I ever had a User called 'smeger'

Yes Tiger gave me a popup on the desktop this morning saying it was disabling "enhancements" and that I could enable them manually. Right now shapeshifter and its enhancements are gone/disabled.....

KRaven0825
05-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok i downloaded OSXvnc again and reinstalled it, now it works....i guess Shapeshifter or APE must have somehow damaged the program....it works now...so that is all i care about....now onto the next damaged app....powerpoint, retrospect, PGP....the list keeps growing....but i still love Tiger :D thanx hayne

marchutch
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
PCI Extreme has stopped doing its job on my B&W under Tiger. Not a great loss, as the only thing it seemed to do was that cool cube rotation thing when fast switching users, but worth mentioning nonetheless I think

cheers

Mark

Caius
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
USB-DSL-modems live as long as the manufacturer is willing to update the drivers.
DSL-modems with an Ethernet interface won't stop working anytime soon now.

Emailed the company in question and am awaiting a reply. Doesn't affect me in that its a friends iMac G5 and modem. Just about convinced him to buy a ethernet X-Modem, so this problem will soon be gone. :)

mankoff
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
CMD+tab cycles apps as always. If I stop on X11 it becomes the 'active' app as usual, but now that I am on Tiger, the windows don't get raised! Very frustrating. I have to hit F10 or F9 (expose) in order to bring all my xterms to the front.

mankoff
05-02-2005, 07:15 PM
iScroll2 isn't working anymore on my Tiger install. The iScroll2 website says there are reports of it working on Tiger. But on my PrefPane the "enabled" checkbox is disabled, so I can't even try to use it.

mankoff
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Desktop Manager works 99%. The previous version on 10.3.9 let me bind CMD+n (n = 1 through 8) to my desktops, and this over-rode the Aqua CMD+n that would switch windows.

On the latest DesktopManager (pre 0.6) and 10.4, X11 grabs CMD+n and switches to that window, and DesktopManager does nothing. Not a big deal, I just bind DesktopManager to CMD+Opt+n or something else...

mkoreiwo
05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
SilverKeeper works for me, except for the scheduled backup. Is that what you're having problems with?

Same with WMP; it plays fine on my 17" PB. Maybe there is a firmware or rev level issue there? Mine is one of the most recent models.

CA... This is what I found on the website: "SilverKeeper v1.1.2 is NOT compatible with Tiger, OS X 10.4. A new release is in final stages of testing, and we hope to release soon. If you are using Tiger, and wish to make a backup, please use the Restore capability of Apple Disk Utility."

Not wanting to take chances.... I added the post. It's good news if a realtime backup works. Being the IT person you are, I assume that you checked the quality of the backup... If it's solid I'll be happy!

rusto
05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Now Contact and Up-To-Date seem to work well enough on their own but QuickDay, QuickContact and more importantly, the Public Event Server do not. Have not tested the Public Contact Server yet...

mankoff
05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Desktop Manager works 99%. The previous version on 10.3.9 let me bind CMD+n (n = 1 through 8) to my desktops, and this over-rode the Aqua CMD+n that would switch windows.

On the latest DesktopManager (pre 0.6) and 10.4, X11 grabs CMD+n and switches to that window, and DesktopManager does nothing. Not a big deal, I just bind DesktopManager to CMD+Opt+n or something else...

OK nevermind... The developer released 0.5.3 today (May 2) and that works fine. This release was only for Tiger compatibilty, and it therefore works as well as the previous release on Panther.

soho
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Can some please verify that CCC is broke under Tiger. I can't get past the Authenticate text field. Rebooted in Panther and it cloned my Tiger internal drive without no problem.

CAlvarez
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
assume that you checked the quality of the backup
I randomly opened half a dozen files on the backup, and all seemed fine. I cannot confirm that ALL files were properly backed up, but everything looked proper and the files I opened were all intact.

Being the paranoid sort though, I also use Apple Backup and Disk Manager images onto two 200GB FW drives. Then I back up the backups onto a server occasionally. And the documents folder onto DVD. Nobody ever had too many backups.

rusto
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Can some please verify that CCC is broke under Tiger. I can't get past the Authenticate text field. Rebooted in Panther and it cloned my Tiger internal drive without no problem.

Check out this forum post (http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=5264) by Mike Bombich:

"Apple has broken all of my apps under Tiger. Its a really stupid, simple little bug that affects authentication. I'll fix my apps as soon as possible but I'm hoping Apple will fix the bug." (Mike Bombich)
=-=-=-=-

As a result of this you cannot at present run CCC by double-clicking it. Pending a fix by Apple or a possible update from MB, and thanks to a post by "iRoss" (thanx!), run CCC from Terminal under sudo...

• In the Finder open the window of the folder where you keep CCC
• Launch Terminal (prob in /Applications/Utilities)
• In the Terminal window type "sudo open " – no quotes and note the SPACE at the end
• then drag CCC into the Terminal window – that will complete the line with the full path
• hit <return> and at the prompt enter your password – (typing does not show)
• hit <return>.
=-=-=-=-

Early reports are confusing in that this workaround works well for some and not at all for others, and there is insufficient info as yet to see why. If you are one of the unlucky ones and if making a Tiger clone is urgent you should consider logging in as root to do so. If you have to ask how to do that then I strongly suggest waiting – if you log in as root the potential for damage is great and you should be very sure you know exactly what you are doing. If you do log in as root remember to disable root asap.

mankoff
05-03-2005, 09:01 PM
iScroll2 isn't working anymore on my Tiger install. The iScroll2 website says there are reports of it working on Tiger. But on my PrefPane the "enabled" checkbox is disabled, so I can't even try to use it.

The above is false. iScroll2 (0.22) works fine. The enable buttons are simply moved elsewhere (the Mouse PrefPane).

bustthis
05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
is anyone having problems with adobe illustrator cs(1) under 10.4? it seems to work fine, but i find that the folder i am working in is filling up with Acr1259720.tmp files, tons of them, right now about 40 about them, each ranging 85-45mb. i guess something to do with acrobat temp files, but i don't know if this has to do with incompatibility with 10.4 or if it's some other issue. under illustrator prefs i selected to export the clipboard as AICB, instead of the default PDF, but this makes no visible difference.

Norm Nager
05-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Preferential Treatment. Its developer responded to my email message with info that he is near completion on an update to make it Tiger compatible.

Respectfully, Norm

sthodges
05-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Macromedia Flash MX 2004 (version 7.2) crashes during startup for me. Macromedia isn't officially announcing an "issue" yet.

Roxio Popcorn crashes when I select a "VIDEO_TS" folder. Roxio reports that they will be releasing a patch shortly.

voldenuit
05-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Until he gets around to it, you can use this Terminal command to check plists:

cd ~/Library/Preferences

plutil *.plist | grep -v OK

That will list any plist not passing the test.

pardthemonster
05-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Acquisition crashes saying there's a java error. I haven't tried between installing OS X.4 and J2SE 5.0, but only after. It gives me some error message about it not being the programs fault, but my systems? Anyone else having this problem?

Norm Nager
05-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Until he gets around to it, you can use this Terminal command to check plists:

cd ~/Library/Preferences
plutil *.plist | grep -v OK

That will list any plist not passing the test.
Thanks very much.

Only two came up, which at least Preferential Treatment's last version for Panther was adapted to handle. I understand Micromat uses a different format for their .plist files. Earlier versions of Preferential Treatment had problems in recognizing TechTool Pro's preference, but the the developer's Panther-compatible PT version reported no problems with either TT{ or DiskStudio, both of which came up after the Terminal command:
com.micromat.TechToolPro4.plist: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file

com.micromat.diskstudio.plist: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
The terminal test is unexpectedly fast on my 733-mhz G4. Thanks, again!

Respectfully, Norm

bramley
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
There's a note on AppleCare with regards to 3rd party Disc Utility software: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301269

I don't know if any the 10.3 software listed is trouble (well Norton probably is but it is under 10.3 anyway!) or whether patches have already been issued by the developers. DiscWarrior is also listed.

yellow
05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I think (still testing) that my current ipfw rules (from Panther) break Tiger pretty badly. Everything was more or less fine with Tiger's stability until yesterday evening, when I decided to move my ruleset from my Panther install over to Tiger. It ran fine for a little while until a couple hours later when the OS started to lock up on me (lost all network sanity, and the Finder and all 'net apps started beachballing). A hard reboot and it was fine, before I went to bed I tried to sanely shutdown and the OK button on the Shutdown UI beachballed on me. Again, no network connectivity.

The logs have ipfw rule splats (where I have asked ipfw to log) before each incident, so I'm wondering.. I saw that ipfw was replaced by ipfw2, so my ruleset is probably badly out of whack.

I disabled the ruleset and will see what happens tonight.

This should be a warning for all users of ipfw via the CLI or BrickHouse or SunShield.

Norm Nager
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
There's a note on AppleCare with regards to 3rd party Disc Utility software: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301269

I don't know if any the 10.3 software listed is trouble (well Norton probably is but it is under 10.3 anyway!) or whether patches have already been issued by the developers. DiscWarrior is also listed.

Thanks very much for the Apple article link, Bramley.

1. DiskWarrior's 3.0.2 version is incompatible. Alsoft has promised to come out soon with at Tiger-compatible version 3.0.3.

2. Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk were eaten by the Tiger and not supported past Panther.

3. The good news: TechTool Pro 4.0.4 works like a charm with Tiger in the several diagnostic and repair functions I tested. I run it from one hard drive to another and it fixed a bunch of Finder Info problems with classic files but gave Tiger's Volume Structure and File Structure passsing marks. For those without 2nd hard drives, the eDrive should just as well as running TTP from an extra internal or external (FW) HD.

Respectfully, Norm

Phil St. Romain
05-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Wiretap v. 1.0 doesn't work with Tiger; it worked with Panther.

And, of course, Quicktime Pro 6.x is bumped in Tiger to v. 7.0, and you have to purchase Pro again. I've moved an old copy of Quicktime Player v. 6.5.2 over and Pro still works on it.

mclbruce
05-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I can't get DockBrowser to work in Tiger.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030716093756709

However there is a program called Rawr-endezvous that is similar and does work in Tiger.

http://homepage.mac.com/jeremy_knope/

endaff
05-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Posters on this (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=38600) thread were having problems with cocoaASpell and SIMBL. Their problems went away when they turned off the apps/services.

PS My tiger still in a cage somewhere - and tomorrow's a holiday. Ohhhh! NOOOOOOO!

Hello, Im new to Mac OS X Hints. But I use secure remote by checkpoint to connect to work firewalls, but since Tiger upgrade it won't even install, anybody have an idea is there a patch anywhere for this ?

sthodges
05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Roxio released a patch (1.0.2) for Popcorn which includes Tiger-compatibility. Program runs fine after applying the patch.

I've also upgraded my g4 Powerbook to Tiger. Macromedia Flash MX 2004 worked fine after the upgrade.

I decided to try reapplying the 7.2 patch on my G5 system, and then re-installing Flash to see if that would help. I downloaded the patch. Before applying the patch I decided to try Flash once more and it started up just fine. (But just once) Subsequent tries get it to crash again. This looks like it just may a glitch in my setup. I'll go ahead and try a re-install of Flash.

mindslip
05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Try removing all your email bundles (especially GPG and HTTPMail if you use them) and fire up Mail again. All my bundles have had new versions released, and Mail is great.

I'm sure this is not normal of course - but my mail app - which uses an IMAP account, just won't load. It loads fine in thunderbird of course, but even though I've re-installed the mail app from the Tiger CD, it just hangs & I have to kill it.

Sumodude.

Darkstream
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Maybe someone did post this and i missed it, if so I apologize, but so far the only problem i have with my Tiger is my BRYCE 5...opens, runs great and everything, but if you try to save anything it just sits there and does nothing....doesn't tell me the program is "not responding" when i do force quit, it just likes to sit there idle, all drop downs are grayed out too...anyone know about this as well?

tripnz
05-16-2005, 06:18 PM
All of Cisco's VPN clients are broken by Tiger. They expect a Tiger compatible version of VPN client in mid-may.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790386,00.asp

OK, so the Cisco VPN client update came out today. I tested and it works on both Tiger and Panther.

Sparky9292
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Getting ready . . .

Please use this thread to note applications that don't work or else have lost functionality. For extensive troubleshooting of an application, start a new thread in this forum.

This website keeps pretty good track of what Tiger broke and what is being fixed or released.

Macintouch Tiger Incompatibilities and Workarounds (http://macintouch.com/tigerreview/incompatibility.html)

Norm Nager
05-19-2005, 03:31 PM
FYI: The "Macintouch Tiger Incompatibilities and Workaround" chart does not seem to have been unpdated recently.

This MacOSXHints thread has the added value of showing the dates when people detected problems.

VersionTracker.com doesn't maintain a list of incompatibles, but does have an extensive and updated list of compatibles:

Link to Version Tracker "compatible" webpages (http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?whichSearch=product&str=tiger+compatible&wordConj=all&xcld=&mode=ext&plt%5B%5D=macosx&allcat=yes&tfBasis=all&gep=NO&by=releaseDate&perPage=20&action=search?utm_source=tclist&utm_medium=link&utm_content=alltc&utm_campaign=TigerComp)

Respectfully, Norm

yellow
05-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Now Up-To-Date is non-functional in Tiger. Sadly. Hopefully Poweron will release a fix soon. Even more hopefully, it won't be 'version 5' so I have to buy a jillion licencese it yet AGAIN.

osxpounder
05-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Constrictor 2.3 by Stick Software, fails to take screen shots [which is its only function] in 10.4 and 10.4.1. No mention of Tiger compatibility nor of an update to Constrictor can be found at Stick Software's web site for Constrictor.

waverlyweb
06-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Roxio released a patch (1.0.2) for Popcorn which includes Tiger-compatibility. Program runs fine after applying the patch.

I've also upgraded my g4 Powerbook to Tiger. Macromedia Flash MX 2004 worked fine after the upgrade.

I decided to try reapplying the 7.2 patch on my G5 system, and then re-installing Flash to see if that would help. I downloaded the patch. Before applying the patch I decided to try Flash once more and it started up just fine. (But just once) Subsequent tries get it to crash again. This looks like it just may a glitch in my setup. I'll go ahead and try a re-install of Flash.

Brave as ever (with a backup) my G5 upgrade in place was fine apart from FW, it gets to show the workspace for a tantalising moment before crashing.

Even after an uninstall and reinstall same problem plus complaints from LicMan (the activator). Still waiting for Macromedia to acknowledge it.
I suspect the activation has fallen foul of Tiger's new ACL/ACE model.

FWIW, my G4 Powerbook with 10.3.9 took a new, clean and full install of the whole Studio MX package with no problems, so that's ruled out any underlying licence issues.

Kevan Howell ......
if I could only remember where I started

ottawan
06-16-2005, 06:19 PM
CMD+tab cycles apps as always. If I stop on X11 it becomes the 'active' app as usual, but now that I am on Tiger, the windows don't get raised! Very frustrating. I have to hit F10 or F9 (expose) in order to bring all my xterms to the front.

In perhaps a related issue, I have several times seen my first X11 window opened after a reboot disappear entirely (i.e. it no longer exists in the 'Window' pull down, or in expose, or in any way that I can think of to look for it). On one occasion, I lost two subsequent X11 windows. Also, if I cycle through windows using CMD-~, X11 will refuse to cycle, even if windows exist.

The windows are just disappearing. I do not know whether they are being closed by the system or just slipping into oblivion (making me wonder about a memory leak...).

At any rate, it's frustrating to have a working job in a window and lose it. This has only occurred since I installed 10.4.1 - I used X11 regularly before and never had a problem like this (I went from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1).

McSnoeck
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
not sure if this applies - but since upgrading to tiger I have major problems with Freehand. Certain things just don't work the way they used and some menu's display strangely. Also, Safari often gives me a 'cannot connect' error message when it comes to some pages via a secure connection. If I do the exact same with Internet Explorer, all works perfectly. Wierd!

sighup9
06-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Verified... CCC does not currently work with Tiger (the author is working on an new release compatible with Tiger). I've done the same - kept a smaller partition with Panther and CCC. Booting under Panther, CCC clones Tiger partitions w/o any problems.

TommyMontana
07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
won't startup at all.

Norm Nager
07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Retrospect 6 won't startup at all.
Mr. Montana, it not only launches, but Retrospect 6.0.212 also has been running well in both duplicate (clone) mode and in backup mode with OS 10.4.1 on my G4 and even on my old Beige G3.

If running Tiger's Disk Utility Repair Permissions doesn't help, try TechTool Pro 4.0.4 or DiskWarrior 3.0.3.

If you've still got problems, take at look at the Dantz Retrospect 6 forum:

http://dantz1.conxion.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Retro6

Once you've got it running, take note of the .Spotlight-V100 file and enclosing folder exclusions recommended in both some threads in the Retro forum and in the Dantz Knowledge Base.

Respectfully, Norm

janeburt
07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
I installed Tiger on my Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. Since then, everything works fine except Quark 6.5. The file opens, but then the spinning wheel comes up and not even command-option-shift-escape works. I have to force quit to get out and, next to where Quark is listed in parenthesis it reads (not responding). I've never had this happen before!
I've scoured the web for hints, contacted Quark and Apple, removed suspicious xtensions (deja vu), etc., to no avail. We're on a network and my coworkers who upgraded are having similar maladies on their Macs. You guys are brilliant and my last hope! Can you help?!
THANKS!
Jane

osxpounder
07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing you're asking because you don't have a backup of your machine made just before you upgraded to Tiger. If you did backup, prepare to restore that backup, and finish your ongoing projects before you try upgrading to Tiger again.

With a production machine [i.e., one that does paying work, not my home email machine], I don't upgrade til I've researched the apps I use to see if there were any problems AND THEN I back up the whole HD. Lately, though, I've done this instead of backing up: I have 2 HDs per machine, anyway, so I'd put the newer OSX on the other HD. That way, I could boot back to the old OSX without either making a backup or restoring it. To be honest, I don't always do this, but I realize I take a huge risk if I don't either back up my HD or put the new OSX on a different HD instead.

I did that 2nd HD trick with Tiger, and I'm glad I did, because a few of my crucial apps weren't ready for Tiger [and still aren't].

If you didn't make a backup, you might need to copy all your data and apps [more on that elsewhere at this site, I'm sure] & reinstall Panther.

I like having 2 HDs so that I can do things like this without taking the time to make a backup, then restore it -- but I realize there are some risks involved, so I'm not saying that having 2 HDs is the same as having a backup.

bosiahj
08-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Since installing Tiger iTaf (a free alarm clock program) has stopped working with iTunes.
Also, the install of Tiger seems to have erased all my entries in Address Book! I was horrified to learn this since it contained alot of info that I had not saved elsewhere. Lesson: always backup before installing new OS. That learned, anyone with any ideas on how to get this data back?

geokker
08-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Yep, same problem for me. Thunderbird works fine, Mail.app dies with IMAP accounts. I've tried connecting with a few different IMAP servers and all don't work. Basically, Mail.app can't speak IMAP. Bad show.

geokker
08-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I deleted the Mail directory, recreated the IMAP accounts and entered 'INBOX' as the IMAP path. Things seemed to start working, but when I tried to open an IMAP subfolder, the app crashed and kept crashing. Here is the error:

Date/Time: 2005-08-14 12:41:45.642 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.2 (Build 8C46)
Report Version: 3

Command: Mail
Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Parent: WindowServer [61]

Version: 2.0.2 (732)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: MailViewer
Source Version: 7320000

PID: 887
Thread: 10

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xfdc07000

hayne
08-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Here is the error:
What you showed us seems to be only part of the crash log. It would be more useful if you posted the full crash log (perhaps as an attachment).

geokker
08-14-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm trying to connect to a Postfix IMAP server account. I've attached the log - it's a very dull read.

hayne
08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I've attached the log - it's a very dull read.
Not really - here's the interesting section:

Thread 8 Crashed:\
0 <<00000000>> 0xfdc07000 0 + -37720064\
1 ...entSemanticMappingFramework 0x9729332c LSMClassifier::NBestCategories(LSMVector<float> const&, int, LSMCategoryScore*) + 180\
2 ...entSemanticMappingFramework 0x972936d4 LSMClassifier::NBestCategories(LSMTextCounter const&, int, LSMCategoryScore*) + 128\
3 ...entSemanticMappingFramework 0x97293770 LSMCompiledMap::GetNBestCategories(__LSMText*, int, LSMCategoryScore*) + 24\
4 ...entSemanticMappingFramework 0x972937ac LSMMapGetBestCategory + 40\
5 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x99958f28 MFJunkMailLevelForString + 140\
6 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998b8040 -[MessageCriterion _evaluateJunkMailCriterion:] + 968\
7 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998b59cc -[MessageCriterion doesMessageSatisfyCriterion:] + 368\
8 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998b5648 -[MessageRule doesMessageSatisfyCriteria:] + 160\
9 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998b5360 +[MessageRouter putRulesThatWantsToHandleMessage:intoArray:colorRulesOnly:] + 380\
10 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998fc3dc -[MessageRouter routeMessages:fromStores:] + 1004\
11 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998fbfac -[MessageStore routeMessages:isUserAction:] + 132\
12 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998a63ac _unlockIfProcessedResponses + 968\
13 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998a5b28 -[IMAPMailboxSyncEngine(Internal) _go] + 364\
14 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x9989596c -[LibraryIMAPStore openSynchronouslyUpdatingMetadata:] + 268\
15 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x99976bdc -[LibraryIMAPStore _fetchForCheckingNewMail:] + 44\
16 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x998bdfa4 -[IMAPAccount fetchSynchronously] + 116\
17 libobjc.A.dylib 0x909b2214 objc_msgSendv + 180\
18 com.apple.Foundation 0x92878a28 -[NSInvocation invoke] + 944\
19 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x9988aa3c -[MonitoredInvocation invoke] + 144\
20 com.apple.MessageFramework 0x99893f38 -[InvocationQueue _drainQueue] + 416\
21 com.apple.Foundation 0x9287cf34 forkThreadForFunction + 108\
22 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9002c3d4 _pthread_body + 96

That shows that the crash is happening when Mail.app is trying to decide if some message is Junk mail or not. Maybe that will give you a clue as to why. In any case, turning off the Junk mail processing (while not desirable as you will get more junk in your In box) will likely avoid the crashes.

geokker
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Right, I've switched off the 'mark, but leave in inbox' junk filter. Holding breath.

xtech
08-15-2005, 12:25 AM
I've checked my printer and everything seems OK as far as the Mac to printer communication is concerned, but the once inside the WORD print menu, the print button doesn't respond. Neither does the Pdf button, which I tried as a possible temporary stop gap. :confused:

GarnetRose
08-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Maybe someone did post this and i missed it, if so I apologize, but so far the only problem i have with my Tiger is my BRYCE 5...opens, runs great and everything, but if you try to save anything it just sits there and does nothing....doesn't tell me the program is "not responding" when i do force quit, it just likes to sit there idle, all drop downs are grayed out too...anyone know about this as well?

I have exactly the same problem with Bryce 5. So far, unable to find an update for it, but I'm still looking. I understand DAZ3D.com is selling Bryce 5.5 now. Perhaps they would know the remedy, or perhaps it takes an upgrade. As far as I can tell, Bryce 5.5 is for OS 10.3 and above.

waynenm
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I installed Tiger on my Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. Since then, everything works fine except Quark 6.5. The file opens, but then the spinning wheel comes up and not even command-option-shift-escape works. I have to force quit to get out and, next to where Quark is listed in parenthesis it reads (not responding). I've never had this happen before!
I've scoured the web for hints, contacted Quark and Apple, removed suspicious xtensions (deja vu), etc., to no avail. We're on a network and my coworkers who upgraded are having similar maladies on their Macs. You guys are brilliant and my last hope! Can you help?!
THANKS!
Jane

Same thing happened to me -
It's a drag!

prosthetix
11-02-2005, 12:18 AM
10.4.3 eh? hmmm prosoft netware 1.3.1 causes kernel panics ahoy! (caused by com.prosoft files)

tsikora
11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Hello all,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth... I've been working on 2 imacs
that just updated to 10.4.3, one has Chimera loaded on it, and likes
to crash when running that program now. The user lost their entire user directory, except for the name of the directory itself, so that she is unable to run many normal programs that require saving temp files in her directory. I used Data Rescue to recover some of her files, but some were gone for good it seems.

On the other machine, it is running the prosoft client. Every time you try to copy files to the server, it crashes. I thought that maybe the 1.3.1 update would fix it, but it didn't. During one of the crashes, the user lost their entire email identity (with about 300 messages). I tried to recover that with the Data Rescue utility, but can't seem to find the data. Any ideas on how to fix any of these issues?!?!

chicorasia
11-10-2005, 01:48 PM
sketchup 5 has developed a strange bug after I downloaded the latest OS update (10.4.3). nothing serious, it affects only a few interactive tools, and only the visualization, but it sure is a nuisance

cecilia1015
11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi all. New to the forum but am hoping someone else has this problem with the 10.4.3 update.
I did the update on my poor ol' eMac and it has completely stopped both Safari and Firefox from being able to open any pages. It just stalls out.

I've cleared the cache, checked my plists and also done regular maintenence (MacJanitor and running the daily weekly monthly scripts from terminal). Disk diagnostics come up fine but when I repair permissions, the same fixes come up over and over again. They are not getting fixed.

I have a firewire backup, but really don't want to lose this update since it was so massive. Any helpful hints to get the browsers working again without reverting to the older version? No other problems at all seem to be occuring. I also updated my iBook and it was running fine, but seems to be doing the same things only occasionally. (Also, found Times RO on the desktop and deleted it, seemed to help it move for a while, but after 10 min of successful browsing, it stalled out again). Help!!
Thanks

hayne
11-14-2005, 09:24 AM
it has completely stopped both Safari and Firefox from being able to open any pages. It just stalls out.

Check if you have any 3rd-party extensions or plugins that might be affecting the browsers.

Otherwise try the standard troubleshooting suggestions:
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ (see the "My Mac needs help" section)
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004011205473937
http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=7269
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html

In particular, be sure to try logging in as a different user to see if the problem exists there. (Create a new user via the Accounts preference panel if you only have the one user account so far.)

If there are no problems for the new user, the problem is under your home folder somewhere - probably the preferences files for the browsers.

when I repair permissions, the same fixes come up over and over again. They are not getting fixed.
If it's just the "special permissions" messages, this is normal. Just ignore it.

cecilia1015
11-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried that and it doesn't seem to make a difference with the new account. That's what perplexes me. And since my browser is so slow, it's impossible to download any updated/redownload any plug-ins. Is there any UNIX command or otherwise that could help me check the integrity of the plug-ins? I have a feeling that may be what's going on, since the problem is universal through out the accounts. I suppose I could just connect the two computers through firewire and use the laptop to get new plug-ins. Ack. I hate when the Mac is being stubborn (of course, this is a user problem, haha). Thanks for the tips and I'll check out all the other troubleshooting see if anything helps out.
Thanks!!

hayne
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Is there any UNIX command or otherwise that could help me check the integrity of the plug-ins?

Try using the 'debug_http' command that I explained in this old thread.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showpost.php?p=199191&postcount=7
It will show you the times that were taken for the various stages involved in getting a web page.
(This doesn't do any checking on the plugins - it avoids them altogether, so if you have no problem when using debug_http, it indicates a problem with the web browsers or the plugins etc that you have added - as opposed to a problem with your network connection etc.)

But I note that this thread is really just for reporting problems with 10.4 (versus 10.3 and earlier) so if you need more help with this it would be best to create a new separate thread.

I see now that you had already started a new thread on this problem.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=47452
So let's direct future discussion of this problem on that other, more specific, thread.

yellow
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Can you get to this site?:

http://17.112.152.32

If so, then your problem is simply DNS related.

Robert Hancock
11-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Just a head up that 10.4.3 breaks the OS X 2.04 M-Audio drivers for their Delta range of cards (you will get a KP or endless external audio loop). Both Apple and M-Audio are aware of it but who knows when a real fix will appear (given M-Audio's slow track record of other fixes). The temporary fix is to use either the 2.01 or 2.03 drivers available for 10.3.8 or thereabouts.

mrwonder
11-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Cisco VPN still broken with 10.4.3, Safari does not work now either, unless I open it by opening a webarchive file on my system, then it crashes with a bad kernel address... some of the other browsers accumulate that error with protracted use. I can work around these matters, but don't seem to be able to solve them. I have multiple users configured, but have not partitioned the hard drive. It is the same for all, Cisco VPN client only ever worked in root, does not start now; Safari doesn't work anywhere as a web browser, but can sometimes open webarchives, rarely, then crashes.

Ludowan
12-05-2005, 06:29 AM
BRYCE 5...opens, runs great and everything, but if you try to save anything it just sits there and does nothing

I have exactly the same problem with Bryce 5. So far, unable to find an update for it, but I'm still looking. I understand DAZ3D.com is selling Bryce 5.5 now. Perhaps they would know the remedy, or perhaps it takes an upgrade. As far as I can tell, Bryce 5.5 is for OS 10.3 and above.

Hello, I have some elements to continue the "exploration" of the matter : you ask Bryce to display a Tiger window like "Open" "Save as..." or anything else. The thing is that this window is displayed in the background of Bryce, and can never be put foreground.
If you do "cmd+tab" and switch to the Finder, you should be able to see this "Open" or "Save" window still in background. If you try click on it, it brings you back to Bryce, and never lets you "activate" this dialog.
Maybe you should try with 2 displays, which unfortunately I don't have, since if you try to do "cmd+click&drag" on the top of this window, you will be able to move it in the background, and put it on another screen.

HankSt
12-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Cisco VPN still broken with 10.4.3, .... Cisco VPN client only ever worked in root, does not start now; Safari doesn't work anywhere as a web browser, but can sometimes open webarchives, rarely, then crashes.

I've used Cisco VPN client 4.7 to Cisco 3000 on 10.4.3 for some time now with no problems. I log in as a user and run the client, not root.

Hank

hmurray
12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
I just upgraded from Panther using the just released 10.4.3 in-box version. I used the simple Upgrade path although I did make a bootable firewire backup of my Panther system before upgrading. The machine is a dual proc 1Ghz G4.

I have a few issues (Safari seems to be less stable than before), but the biggest is with Office 2004 and in particular Word which quits (just vanishes) after typing a couple of sentences. There's no "unexpected quit" message from the system, but each time it happens the console reports:

In HrOamApplicationGetCommandBars
CGFontKey.c:230: failed assertion `id[k].qy <= kCGFontSharedCacheKeyMaxQ'

I created a fresh user and that account has the same problem, so it's not as simple as a problem with my own prefs. Since I haven't done any hacking on my system I'm surprised this isn't a common problem but there seem to very few reports of Word issues and none like this. Any suggestions?

hmurray

dsgncr8or
12-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Hello, I have some elements to continue the "exploration" of the matter : you ask Bryce to display a Tiger window like "Open" "Save as..." or anything else. The thing is that this window is displayed in the background of Bryce, and can never be put foreground.

If you do "cmd+tab" and switch to the Finder, you should be able to see this "Open" or "Save" window still in background. If you try click on it, it brings you back to Bryce, and never lets you "activate" this dialog.
yup -- currently looking for a work-around...

Maybe you should try with 2 displays, which unfortunately I don't have, since if you try to do "cmd+click&drag" on the top of this window, you will be able to move it in the background, and put it on another screen.
well - this ain't a solution... but if you DO hear... PLEASE let me know!

heinzmac
12-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Application crashes when attempting to import from Entourage

Norm Nager
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
PithHelmet 2.6.3 is disabled by OS 10.4.4's Safari 2.0.3.

On January 12, PH's developer posted on his website a note that he is aware of the problem and is working on a compatible version:
http://http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php

In the meantime, flashing/animated/intrusiver ad banner pith will continue to rain down in the jungle of the internet on those of us deprived temporarily of PithHelmet protection. ;-)

Respectfully, Norm

Norm Nager
01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Yea! PithHelmet 2.6.4 tamed Tiger's Safari 2.0.3.

joshturse
03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Microsoft Remote Desktop Client - contextual menus, from control+click or option+click don't appear to work.

veedubdave
04-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Perhaps someone reading this has had the same...

I to just upgraded to 10.4.6 and tried to sync to my SE 700i, isnyc told me that it had changed and needed to replace all data on my phone, so so I clicked OK to sync.

However, as the sync is nearing the end of its process the phone now just mysteriously disconnects, giving an message "session failed Communication interrupted".

Im now seriously annoyed as I cant sync my contacts or calendar to the phone....

Also since upgrading to 10.4.6 my firewire ports have stopped recognising my ipod, my 3 external firewire drives....

Not a happy man indeed. :mad:

steve2005
04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I have found the solution :

New! Re: Isync 2.2 Doesn't work with Sony Ericsson S700i
Posted: Apr 7, 2006 12:55 PM in response to: Steinar Bøyum
Reply Email

Thanks. This solved my problem.

steve

> It seems that a solution is to modify the plist as a
> first work-around:
> 1) Go in Applications->iSync->(Show Package
> Contents)->Contents->Plugins->ApplePhoneConduit.syncde
> vice->Contents->Plugins->PhoneModels.phoneplugin->Cont
> ents->Resources
>
> 2) In there, open the file Metaclasses.plist in
> TextEdit and look for com.sony-ericsson.S700 (if you
> have a S700) or com.sony-ericsson.K700 and replace
> just below
> "family.com.sony.ericsson.syncml-phones-2004-obexbug"
> with "family.com.sony-ericsson.irmc-old-phones".

vjmacaddict
04-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Recently, within the past several weeks, something strange has been happening with Firefox. Windows are freezing, and I have to open up a new window ..... Here is what happens. I'll have a window open, and be reading something online. Then when I need to type in something, like a response to a forum, that window is frozen, and I can't type anything at all. I have to close that frozen window, and open up a new window, then I can pick up where I left off.

This happens everyday, and appears to only be a problem with Firefox. I have the newest version of Firefox, 1.5.0.2, which just updated automatically several days ago. Has anyone else noticed this same problem? Is there a fix?

I'm running Tiger 10.4.6 on my iBook G4. Any ideas? Thanks.

osxpounder
05-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I think I got out of it by doing Cmd-Opt-Esc, to bring up the Force Quit dialog, then hitting Esc again to make that go away. I tried so many things -- alt tabbing, etc] -- that I'm not sure this was the thing that did it, but it's worth a try.

The same thing happened to me last week in Final Cut HD, and the Force Quit dialog box trick worked just fine for that prob.

JTR
07-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Be careful using Speedtools with Tiger.
The current version installs a kext that might garble up the HD structure due to not fully being tiger compatible.
It might also prevent OSX from being able to shut down.

So: if you use ST (not recommended), look up the install log and delete all files again after use.

chinajon
08-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, it is no big deal, but the game Demos Rising doesn't work.
:confused:

willnaughty
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! It is ANNOYING! The problem is that the window that is supposed to show up actually does, but it is behind the actual program, making it impossible to see unless you switch applications. You still cannot click on it.:mad: :confused:

Dave at Outpost
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Acrobat Prof. won’t launch. Window says, “Currently selected language resources are not supported by the current version of Adobe Acrobat. Please reselect the language in the International System Preferences panel.” Selection is English. Downloaded new Acrobat Reader 7, installed it, and it works.

deltajana
09-30-2006, 07:45 AM
I just bought a beautiful 30" Apple CD and to my dismay the finder window is opening by itself after I login. It is not specified to open in the start up items.

This is recent, I think it started before the new display. I want to stop this ASAP! Please advise, it is the ugliest window on my HD

thanking you in advance.........jana

ThreeBKK
09-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, it is no big deal, but the game Demos Rising doesn't work.
:confused:

You probably just need to update to version 1.0.6 if you are on a PowerPC based Mac. Mine is working just fine! Too bad I'm not very fond of the game mechanics because the graphics are incredibly smooth. I'll play Zanac (old school 8-bit Nintendo) before this game every time. Try VersionTracker or MacUpdate for the patch.

ThreeBKK
09-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I just bought a beautiful 30" Apple CD and to my dismay the finder window is opening by itself after I login…

Make sure you close it before logging out. The Finder will remember which windows you had open and return them to their last position when you log back in to your account.

acalderon
10-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi,

The message reminder window appears off the screen to the right. It is annoying.

saul102
10-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! It is ANNOYING! The problem is that the window that is supposed to show up actually does, but it is behind the actual program, making it impossible to see unless you switch applications. You still cannot click on it.:mad: :confused:

Does anyone know if this has been resolved via patch or other method? I am having same problem since moving to Tiger.

freepaco
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
hi, i just bought a brand new macbook with os 10.4.6.

ive never used a mac before and everything seems to be going fine except that some programs that i have downloaded seem to disappear once i shut the computer down and turn it back on later.

if i keep the install file (the .dmg file), it stays on the desktop but the actual program will be gone and i am forced to reinstall. the main programs that are doing this is msn messenger for mac and vlc player. anyone have any ideas or help for me? thanks!

hayne
10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
ive never used a mac before and everything seems to be going fine except that some programs that i have downloaded seem to disappear once i shut the computer down and turn it back on later.

if i keep the install file (the .dmg file), it stays on the desktop but the actual program will be gone and i am forced to reinstall.

It sounds like you aren't copying the application from the mounted DMG (which is like a CD or other disk) onto your regular hard drive - e.g. into the /Applications folder.
I.e. that you are having the problem discussed in this older thread:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=56937

smithsonj2001
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Someone please recommend a fix for this problem: I am running 10.4.7.

When I attempt to open any of these programs (from either the dock or applications folder): address book, calculator, or mail, they just bounce up and down (on the dock) but do not open.

I have not yet tried reinstalling the OS as that's just too time consuming. I suspect that there is some comptatibility issue. So, can someone suggest an easier fix? Thanks in advance.

grmaes
10-22-2006, 02:48 AM
...on my recent bought Macbook.
Already "Word" was working much slower than on my (now old) Ibook. Today none of Microsoft documents or applications open. I re-installed the applications , but the problem remains....Any idea of what it could or what should be done?

Version du système : Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127)
Version du noyau : Darwin 8.8.1
Volume de démarrage : Macintosh HD

Thanks ahead for reply
Greta

///Macintosh
10-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Someone please recommend a fix for this problem: I am running 10.4.7.

When I attempt to open any of these programs (from either the dock or applications folder): address book, calculator, or mail, they just bounce up and down (on the dock) but do not open.

I have not yet tried reinstalling the OS as that's just too time consuming. I suspect that there is some comptatibility issue. So, can someone suggest an easier fix? Thanks in advance.

It sound like you have trown away the Helvetica.dfont in your library/fonts folder.

donnux
10-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I "upgraded" from 8 to 9.0.5, but was stupid enough to actually pay the $99.95. Come to find out it won't work on the Intel Macs. They said the problem should be fixed with another upgrade by the end of the summer, but, well...

Several emails later, they still have my hundred bucks and I have no PGP working.

TrailerTrish
10-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Well, I'm apparently in the same boat with you guys, it all started with Bryce 5, and went downhill from there.

I got a third 3D modeling package, ArtofIllusion, and have encountered the very same problem with it that I'm already having with Bryce 5 and DAZ, that being the program cannot find the materials and textures, even though they are installed in the folders as they should be. I think I might not be alone in this problem. It would seem at this point that the issue is with Mac OS X Tiger. I really need to solve this problem, has it been documented anywhere that you know of?

I just got off the phone with Apple Support, and they have no answers for me either, other than that perhaps the software does not support the Intel chips in the newer Macs, and if that's so might there be a patch for this?

How can it be that I'm the only one having this problem, and having the same problem with 3 different apps of the same kind?

Some in your forums have suggested to me that I try Bryce 5.5, so how much would it cost me to get that, and do you know if it supports the Intel chipped newer Macs?

TT

Zara1
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I use OS 10.4.8 and my Microsoft Word Application just stopped working.
It doesn't launch. how can I fix this problem? I need to open a document, please help.

yellow
11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I use OS 10.4.8 and my Microsoft Word Application just stopped working.
It doesn't launch. how can I fix this problem? I need to open a document, please help.

Please let's leave any responses to this issue in the original thread created for the issue:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=62821

offbyone
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM
The most recent posts regarding DAZ/Bryce 5.0 are not very encouraging. But daz3d.com is now sporting Bryce 6.0, and inviting users to upgrade from 5.0 or 5.5. I wonder whether anyone who previously had problems with Bryce/Tiger has tried Bryce 6.0 and whether that performs on Intel Mac OS X than pervious versions ?
I am new to Bryce - never used it, but I want to. I'd like to know it will work well on my MacBook Pro (running Mac OS X 10.4.8) before I buy the app.

dimitri_c
12-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Hello -

I updated my OS to 10.4.8 (combo) on my PBook 17" (2GB Ram).
And since this operation my Photoshop CS1 doesn't launch anymore… :(
The small triangle under PSD icon blinked several times and after this nothing happened.

I launch a complete Onyx® maintenance (with cache clean, repair authorisation, …). I reset my PRAM, launch Font Fingler, … :eek:
NB. I don't have any APE (Application Enhancer) installed on my Mac.

Could someone give me an advice?
Have a nice day…

- Dimitri http://www.thebend.be

kstevens
01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I recently started experiencing weird stuff with iCal 2.0.3 There are no times listed on the left column. Every row says SAT AM, or SAT PM. When I go to the preferences file, the only options for days start at or end at is Midnight and Noon. No times! Now many of the events listed have 12:20 listed in the event (no matter what time it is scheduled at). Help!

Irene
01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
I just looked at my iCal and it is 2.0.4. Perhaps you could update to that version and see if it fixes the problem.

kstevens
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks Irene, but I've already tried that. Has anybody had this happen? I'm still trying to figure out what happened.:mad:

kstevens
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I figured it out. I went to the System Preferences, clicked on International. Under formats, Region, the menu was stuck on custom. I changed it to United States (Computer), and it fixed everything. Go figure. I guess it pays to poke around long enough until you solve the problem. My iCal works again!

myrkr
02-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Wow, has Tiger been out this long already?

I just started using Grapher.app for a project and the grouping functions seem to be broken. I searched the Internet via google for some solutions, but there seem to be none. I have only seen one reference to this, so I'm not sure if it is a local problem. My version number is 1.0, whereas wikipedia.org states that 1.1 is the latest. I don't know if I missed an update, or if wikipedia is mistaken. I cannot find an update for it at apple.com.

Would somebody be willing to check /Application/Utilities/Grapher.app to see if it actually is broken and does not rename groups, or group when told to do so. Mostly renaming... I can tell that it has been done before, because the examples have named groups.

http://www.et.byu.edu/~nehpets/newGroup.png

ruby begonia
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a pro mac with 10.4.8 have tried several times to get pagesender fax software to download and open but cannot seem to get it to work. I followed the instructions on the demo but cannot find the application that was downloaded.

macosxian
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Both Stuffit Deluxe and NetBarrier/Content Barrier have stopped working since clean-installing Mac osX 10.4. The latter provided an updated installer (doesn't work.... asks for Intego Daemon to be reinstalled), then went quiet, while Stuffit Deluxe asks for a serial no., but I can't open it to find serial no. in the "About Stuffit..." window. (yeah, I know, should've made a note of it after downloading from their site...).
Any ideas... cheers

osxpounder
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I have a pro mac with 10.4.8 have tried several times to get pagesender fax software to download and open but cannot seem to get it to work. I followed the instructions on the demo but cannot find the application that was downloaded.

Now that you mention it, a Canon scanner came with "OmniPage SE Direct OCR", an application for scanning text... I've never tried it until today. It will not run on my MacBook Pro.

ALBERTO1026
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Final cut pro HD and Final cut express.

mwestie
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Adobe photoshop 7.0
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

I have been researching this problem and have found no solutions that work

Epson Scanner

ericho
05-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Mail app has been working fine for several years. Yesterday on attempting to launch via the docking bar, the "postage stamp" only jumped once, with no claret underneath. In looking at the mail.app in finder, it shows that the application was last opened at the same date/time when I tryed to launch via the docking bar. Viewing system process via the activity monitor shows that when an attempt is made to launch the mail app, a crashdump is logged by root.

System is a 1.25 iMAC G4, 1 GB ram, OSX 10.4.9 with most current patches.

I've run a verify disk and a repair permissions, but not joy?

suggestions?

Thanks iin advance,

Eric

smkolins
06-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Mail app has been working fine for several years. Yesterday on attempting to launch via the docking bar, the "postage stamp" only jumped once,

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24410/vacuummail ?

Spongy
07-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I thought that MS Office 2001 (or Office X) was fixed and is now working with OS X. However, I was work the other day and a number of Office X programs on different Macs seem to have been broken by 10.4.10 - anyone else have this problem?

dianeross
07-11-2007, 06:13 PM
You need to explain what “seems to be broken”. I have heard no reports of either applications breaking with the update. However, problems after many of the recent OS updates have caused problems and not only with Office.

The best solution is to download and apply the latest Apple Combo updater. Running the combo updater overwrites potentially problem-causing files. Combo updaters will install on the same version as they’re applying—no need to roll back or do a clean install. You’ll find download links for the updater along with more info on troubleshooting Entourage here: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/combo.html

Spongy
07-13-2007, 05:38 AM
thanks for the info - i'll try it later.

When I say Broken, you can open a document by double-clicking and all is fine. But, when you open the application normally it will show the splash screen and then quits. Its very odd - I'm not near an effected computer at the moment to show you the logs, but it is quite strange!

Alex Colins
07-21-2007, 11:50 AM

Sumodude.

Did you use this shell script "sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\\ Index vacuum .exit"
It Might Help.

bobf
08-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Has anybody had a problem with iWork "working?" It loaded with no problem but when I try to open any of the components (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) they quit immediately.

What am I doing wrong?

ksramke
10-04-2007, 04:03 AM
In my Tiger 10.4.10, FreeHand MX suddenly wont launch. It was working with some hiccups for few weeks. Now, after about 20 bounces it dies. On press-clicking on the dock icon of FHMX, a greyed out "Application not responding" shows, forcing me to use force quit. I tried Adobe's hotfix unsuccessfully.

Any help is much appreciated.

Its puzzling because the same app folder when transferred to another mac with Panther, works alright.

Ramki

cdavid33
10-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Very few of my PPC applications don't crash after launch, or they don't launch at all.
Even UB applications when I check 'launch with Rosetta' don't launch properly or crash at or after launch.

To use PPC applications, I have to start in safe mode.

I found no clue or hint even on Apple Support forums where number of users are victim of the same problem.

I tried to reinstall the Intel Combo Update (10.4.10) : not possible on my iMac.
I tried a System reinstall (archive and install) : the problem is still here.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.10 on an iMac 24'' 2.8 GHz - 2GB RAM.

If any hint, it will be welcome.

msary80
12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Alsoft has announced a free DiskWarrior 3.0.3 update to be released real soon now.

yes, It seems all right.

Cat food (http://catwebsite.googlepages.com/catfood.htm)

cdavid33
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Actual version of Disk Warrior is 4.0.
A free update 3.0.3 will be a pleasure :confused:
By the way, under Leopard, my Rosetta problems have disappeared.

latigo
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I recently upgraded to Safari 3.0.4 and am running Mac 10.4. Immediately after the upgrade Safari hangs and is not able to access the internet, and I cannot find any parameters that might be wrong. Firefox still works great. What to do?
Jack Thomas

Rach4256
01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi

Just bought a Mac and I'm trying to get gnuplot to work. I have got x11 installed. I have downloaded gnuplot-4.2.2. I tried to ./configure the file but received this error:

Unknown-00-1e-52-71-da-aa:gnuplot-4.2.2 racheltooke$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
Unknown-00-1e-52-71-da-aa:gnuplot-4.2.2 racheltooke$

I'm new to the mac and I was hoping someone could help,

Thanks

Rachel

ThreeBKK
01-27-2008, 05:48 AM
This is a Tiger thread.
If you just bought a new Mac from Apple, you have Leopard, unless you purposely installed Tiger yourself.
Does "About This Mac" read version 10.4.x or 10.5.x?

Las_Vegas
01-27-2008, 03:03 PM
In either case, you need to install the Developer's Tools from your OS X Install disk.

QiSoftware
03-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I cannot seem to get JBuilder to work with Tiger. Anyone else developing Java applications on a Mac?

Q...

LilithAZ
03-22-2008, 10:23 AM

I was having problems sending mail with Tiger Mail. Stupidly, I deleted it, thinking I could download it from the Apple site. Now I have no Mail. This all started when I received a mail update from Apple and downloaded it. Any ideas?

Thanks

MakeLuv
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes, shame on me, but when I try to access limewire, it opens 6%, and then freezes (had a similar problem with finder a while ago, http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=88501&highlight=finder). Any idea how to fix it?

mickbeme
05-17-2008, 12:42 PM
When I try to open pogo games I get this message. Pogo.txt (0219/120346117610779-71tjkw) Is there a patch for this problem?

schneb
06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Should we start a new one for Leopard and unstick this one?

yellow
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Good idea. Done and done.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=90982

LuvLeo
07-06-2008, 12:03 AM
my g4 wont let me access any app!
I have just installed successfully.
Not even Finder, Dock and Setup Assistant let me use any of the special features.

ThreeBKK
07-07-2008, 07:14 AM
my g4 wont let me access any app!
I have just installed successfully.
Not even Finder, Dock and Setup Assistant let me use any of the special features.

That sounds like it should be in a help request thread. Go ahead and make a new thread with the same content. Someone should be able to help you with that more easily in a separate thread.

weet
07-28-2008, 11:10 AM
It appears that a recent upgrade has messed with iPhoto. Hard to be certain which one since I don't use iPhoto regularly. I now cannot access music for slide shows and the preferences won't open. Is this a common problem? Is there a solution?

ThreeBKK
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM
It appears that a recent upgrade has messed with iPhoto. Hard to be certain which one since I don't use iPhoto regularly. I now cannot access music for slide shows and the preferences won't open. Is this a common problem? Is there a solution?

Sorry, the name of this thread is "…broken by Tiger." There is different thread for Leopard which is the OS you are using.

In_a_Kilt
10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I have tried to install limewire on this my powermac quicksilver g4 800Mhz system, but for some reason when I click on the icon, all I get is the dancing icon in the doc then nothing. I have installed it on my G3 Imac with no problem and I also installed it on a core dual mac mini, no problem, any Ideas what it may be that I am doing wrong?

ThreeBKK
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I have tried to install limewire on this my powermac quicksilver g4 800Mhz system, but for some reason when I click on the icon, all I get is the dancing icon in the doc then nothing. I have installed it on my G3 Imac with no problem and I also installed it on a core dual mac mini, no problem, any Ideas what it may be that I am doing wrong?

I think that my reply to LuvLeo (see post number 161 (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showpost.php?p=480752&postcount=161)) also applies to your question.