PDA

View Full Version : Adobe-Macromedia

Craig R. Arko
04-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Some folks around here may find this (http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html) an interesting tidbit.

Probably doesn't bode well for the Macromedia product line. I foresee another HP-Compaq.

lights_sound
04-18-2005, 05:14 AM
this will be interesting for the product lines of the two companies that match up.. excepially if the drop say the adobe one and keep the macromedia.. could also be interesting from a consumer point of view..and will be interesting to what fair trade in each country says about it

guardian34
04-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Macromedia press release (http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html)

fat elvis
04-18-2005, 10:34 AM
OMG!!! :eek:

It'd be great if the result we're the combined best of both brands...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hmmm.....HP & Compaq, Oracle & PeopleSoft, Adobe & Macromedia, who's next? Maybe Microsoft will buy Sun?

styrafome
04-18-2005, 11:28 AM
who's next? Maybe Microsoft will buy Sun?

Say hello to the Apple division of Microsoft?!?

FireWired
04-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I haven't decided if I think this is a good or bad thing.. Each company has their own area of expertise, in my opinion. For example, Macromedia should stick (shouldv'e stuck would be correct I guess) to making Web Design apps - Dreamweaver is way better (well, easier to use for newbies) than GoLive. And I wonder what this'll do to Flash, since it's so popular nowadays..

All just IMHO..

Say hello to the Apple division of Microsoft?!?

NOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO...!!! [**trigger slow motion + running away dramatically, with maybe a painful trip, but still running/limping away to escape the cruel world**] NEVERRRRR...!!! :)

AHunter3
04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
This isn't the first time that Adobe has acquired a software company that owned Freehand. Remember when Adobe bought up Aldus?

There was some kind of clause...I don't recall the details, or whether the clause was a carryover from when Aldus acquired Freehand from some other, older software company, but somewhere in there (if my memory's worth a damn) was a requirement that Freehand always remain in independent production. And it was ruled that Adobe could not reasonably maintain and support code-separate competitive Illustrator and Freehand products, so they had to sell it off to Macromedia. (Conceivably it was a Justice Dept ruling pertaining to monopoly, but that's not my recollection).

So does anyone remember what the story was, why Adobe had to sell off Freehand after their acquisition of Aldus? And, if so, does the same logic not apply now? Does Adobe have to sell Freehand?

fat elvis
04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
AFAIK, Adobe sold Freehand to Macromedia to avoid government intervention...sort of peemptively (hard word to spell).

I think the only difference is the rise of open-source apps that Adobe can claim as competition in the courtroom. IMO this doesn't hold water in the real world. There's nothing that could compete with a well designed "Frillustrator" hybrid, and Flash and Photoshop are both also untouchable. Gimp has gained speed, but isn't nearly as powerful or polished as it need to be.

BigDave
04-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, but MY worry is that it gives Adobe the ability to charge whatever they like, given their stranglehold on the design industry is now pretty much complete. Looks like all of my work tools are now in one Adobe style basket.....

AHunter3
04-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Someone refreshed my memory.

Freehand originally belonged to Altsys. Aldus bought Freehand off Altsys a long time ago. Then Adobe acquired Aldus but because of the way the Altsys acquisition of Freehand had been laid out, Adobe had to remand the rights to Freehand back to the original developers, who sold the product to Macromedia.

Be interesting to see if they have to do it again, and who ends up buying Freehand this time around.

'Frillustrator'

Frustrator ;)

BigDave
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Frustrator ;)

You got that right. Maybe we can also look forward to GoWeaver, FireReady & FlashMotion....

</threadjack>

fat elvis
04-19-2005, 05:35 PM
LOL...this can go on for pages

how about Macrobé as the new name :) Adobe Systems Inc. is too bland for this new multimedia behemoth

Twelve Motion
04-21-2005, 07:25 AM
I don't see what all the worrying is about. If adobe owns both, and they will get all the profits from both, why would they even kill Macromedia's line? Why not simply have Adobe Macromedia Dreamweaver? Or just Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Flash? Killing the lines, or even changing the names and logos would be really bad for business. For example: did you guys know that Mr. Clean, Pampers Diapers, and Eukanuba Pet Food are all owned by the same company? The company bought them all up, and left them all alone, and why shouldn't they. All the money goes to the same bank account, let Macromedia fans stay Macromedia fans. I suppose they would have competing apps, but they should just kill the one that makes less money.

I think this is the greatest thing that could have happend to the design industry. To be able to seamlessly work in all the design programs at one time and they would all understand each other.

BigDave
04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
I don't see what all the worrying is about.

Reason One: Ever noticed what all the companies do when they have a monopoly on a product? Quark Xpress springs to mind. Yep, price rise.

Reason 2: (From The Register) "This one wins the "Scariest Merger of the Month" award.

Between themselves these two probably hold the biggest UI patent war chest in the industry. Everything from how to put buttons to tabbed menus. So far, they have used it mostly on each other.

Now they are a single company and it will be very interesting where will they point their litigation guns."

(source: http://www.theregister.co.uk)

I think this is the greatest thing that could have happend to the design industry. To be able to seamlessly work in all the design programs at one time and they would all understand each other.

Yikes! I for one sure ain't holding my breath. I have enough trouble getting the existing apps (from Adobe) to "understand each other" as it is. Ever tried getting an InDesign document into GoLIve....?

Twelve Motion
04-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Well I think we have better hope of them working together coming from one company than two, and since piracy is Adobe's main distribution method, I am not worried about price either.

BigDave
04-21-2005, 12:09 PM
You're absolutely right - it's best to be optimistic here. It could indeed be a good thing long-term, I guess....

Twelve Motion
04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah thats the attitude! Adobe never struck me as a company that is only in it for the money, I feel that they actually want to make good products. I checked this topic out at slashdot, and some talking head wrote an article and said Adobe did this because they were worried Microsoft was going to buy macromedia soon. It would for sure be a much worse thing if MS owned Flash...